Kings sign Jacob Moverare (Dman) to ELC

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
With all due respects Brown was a nobody until Kopitar came along...Have you seen Thomas play,he's going to be a good one...at 24 Minnesota is not going to find a D-man they like and they aren't taking another forward after taking one at 11!

Brown was picked 13th overall in the best draft in recent memory, he was hardly a nobody. You don't get picked before that many highly touted guys if you are average. That's the first time I've ever heard that take about Brown.

I want Thomas to succeed, and yes, I've seen him play. I don't see first line talent there at all, he's got a slight build and will get punished by top defensive pairs. I think he has great IQ, but he slows things down and doesn't always make quick decisions. Maybe that's because Niagra kind of sucked, but it was noticeable. He also plays much better at center than he does on the wing, and I don't see him playing in the middle effectively in the NHL.

He reminds me a lot of Mike Donnelly, really. Quick skater, smart, solid offensively, and aware of the ice.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Brown was picked 13th overall in the best draft in recent memory, he was hardly a nobody. You don't get picked before that many highly touted guys if you are average. That's the first time I've ever heard that take about Brown.

I want Thomas to succeed, and yes, I've seen him play. I don't see first line talent there at all, he's got a slight build and will get punished by top defensive pairs. I think he has great IQ, but he slows things down and doesn't always make quick decisions. Maybe that's because Niagra kind of sucked, but it was noticeable. He also plays much better at center than he does on the wing, and I don't see him playing in the middle effectively in the NHL.

He reminds me a lot of Mike Donnelly, really. Quick skater, smart, solid offensively, and aware of the ice.
Dusty Bottoms was 10th on the Kings in scoring in his 3rd pro season...he had 28 points and a minus 10 in 79 games...he was a nobody until Kopitar came along so he could ride-in-on-his-coattails!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Dusty Bottoms was 10th on the Kings in scoring in his 3rd pro season...he had 28 points and a minus 10 in 79 games...he was a nobody until Kopitar came along so he could ride-in-on-his-coattails!

Uh.. In his 3rd pro season he had 46 points in 81 games and was 5th in scoring. And that's counting the 31 games in 03-04 he played as a frickin' teenager on a team with Derek Armstrong and a 21 year old Cammalleri as their top 2 centers.

Might want to get your facts in order before replying.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Minnesota isn't just going to 'lose' Brodin, they'll trade him elsewhere on the cheap before just letting him get plucked.
I just don't see it happening but it might. Trading for a player assumes that the team acquiring him is going to protect him also because Seattle will gobble him up. Giving up something for Brodin and then exposing him doesn't make a whole lot of sense...Minnesota is going to lose someone of value for certain and might as well be Brodin who's going on 27 and making 4.166 Million plus! Besides Brodin will be a UFA in 2021!
Jonas-Brodin.jpg

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Uh.. In his 3rd pro season he had 46 points in 81 games and was 5th in scoring. And that's counting the 31 games in 03-04 he played as a frickin' teenager on a team with Derek Armstrong and a 21 year old Cammalleri as their top 2 centers.

Might want to get your facts in order before replying.
# pro seasons buddy... 1 in LA(2003-04),then a year in Manchester(2004-05 strike) then 2005-06,that's 3 pro seasons.Get your facts straight...the AHL is considered a Pro circuit,it sure the hell isn't Juniors,or college...

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
# pro seasons buddy... 1 in LA(2003-04),then a year in Manchester(2004-05 strike) then 2005-06,that's 3 pro seasons.Get your facts straight...the AHL is considered a Pro circuit,it sure the hell isn't Juniors,or college...

Ok then.

How can you call a player who scored 74 points in 79 games in his second pro season someone who rides coattails? He was barely old enough to drink and was pulling nearly a point per game. Seriously, that's ridiculous and sounds even sillier than what you were saying at first. Those are Kopitar numbers.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Ok then.

How can you call a player who scored 74 points in 79 games in his second pro season someone who rides coattails? He was barely old enough to drink and was pulling nearly a point per game. Seriously, that's ridiculous and sounds even sillier than what you were saying at first. Those are Kopitar numbers.
You are talking about Brown right? 74 points in 79 AHL games and being on the first line and being feed by Mike Cammalleri right...Brown scored 29 whilst Cammy scored 45...huge difference but we are talking about Brown the guy that played first line for the Kings and never got more than 61 points in a single season! Without Kopi,Brown would have been out of this game already! He was good when he hit someone and played with Kopi but since then not so much. I think the turning point was when the Flames Jerome Iginla beat the living shit out of Brownie

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Rode those coattails to 2 cups. Man, the guy who was named captain really sucked. Now imagine if they decided to move up and drafted Huge Jesseman instead because Al Murray couldn't pass up a 6-6" rw, what a career he'd have had when Kopitar came along.:laugh:

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Rode those coattails to 2 cups. Man, the guy who was named captain really sucked. Now imagine if they decided to move up and drafted Huge Jesseman instead because Al Murray couldn't pass up a 6-6" rw, what a career he'd have had when Kopitar came along.:laugh:
Imagine if they had taken Getzlaf or Parise and Perry being on the Kings how many 100's of points Kopi-Star would have scored and how many MVP trophies he would have won or maybe an Art Ross Trophy. Brown wasn't as great or near great...effective when he hit and was fed sure goals. Brown was no passer,couldn't pass, 1 good year scoring goals but really a 20 goal scorer most years and barely double digits others! On a re-do of the 2003 draft the coat-tails no talent,skill guy doesn't hit top 13 maybe top 20 and Kings get Bergeron or Shea Weber or Parise,Getzlaf,lol!!!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Bergeron has one Cup, Getzlaf has one Cup, and Weber and Parise have zero Stanley Cups, yet we have some dweeb lamenting about the player who has won two Cups and has been the longest serving captain and longest tenured King in franchise history.

But hey, we also wish your parents had a do over and never met. Does anyone have a flux capacitor and some plutonium laying around?

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
You are talking about Brown right? 74 points in 79 AHL games and being on the first line and being feed by Mike Cammalleri right...Brown scored 29 whilst Cammy scored 45...huge difference but we are talking about Brown the guy that played first line for the Kings and never got more than 61 points in a single season! Without Kopi,Brown would have been out of this game already! He was good when he hit someone and played with Kopi but since then not so much. I think the turning point was when the Flames Jerome Iginla beat the living shit out of Brownie

You keep moving the goalposts and spouting random things. I mean "Brown would have been out of the game already". Dude was a 2 time Olympian FFS, crappy players don't find their way onto those teams. It's pointless to continue.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
You keep moving the goalposts and spouting random things. I mean "Brown would have been out of the game already". Dude was a 2 time Olympian FFS, crappy players don't find their way onto those teams. It's pointless to continue.
My point has always been...Brown was more effective when he hit guys but after Iginla from the Flames beat the living shit outta him he hasn't been the same...When your hitters become sitters fans soon become bitter as the player gets the jitters!!!lol

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Except the kings in those years were drafting for need and not BPA. see thomas hickey and Yannetti's comments.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Imagine if they had taken Getzlaf or Parise and Perry being on the Kings how many 100's of points Kopi-Star would have scored and how many MVP trophies he would have won or maybe an Art Ross Trophy. Brown wasn't as great or near great...effective when he hit and was fed sure goals. Brown was no passer,couldn't pass, 1 good year scoring goals but really a 20 goal scorer most years and barely double digits others! On a re-do of the 2003 draft the coat-tails no talent,skill guy doesn't hit top 13 maybe top 20 and Kings get Bergeron or Shea Weber or Parise,Getzlaf,lol!!!

You do realize Brown was one of the main reasons the King won in 2012 right

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Except the kings in those years were drafting for need and not BPA. see thomas hickey and Yannetti's comments.
See the rest of the 2003 draft after Kings first pick...Boyle...Pushkarov...so the Kings draft Brownie and a host of others and we miss out on Getzlaf,Burns,Parise,Perry,L Eriksson,P Bergeron,Shea Weber,M Lapierre,David Backes and Jimmie(James) Howard! Not really sure the Kings hit the BPA too many times then...they did with A Frolov,not with J Karlsson,D Steckel,Grebeshkov,Lewis...but we have better scouts now we hope. A wiser bunch,not sure if they are as crafty as some in the past with some of the trades the Kings made...Stollie,M Greene,Richards,Penner for the play-offs for sure and the Stanley Cup of 2012, Carter,Gaborik...Williams,Mitchell and Scuds...Good trades good free agent signings...the ol' Kings were built partly through the draft and partly through astute deals and moves...sorry went off on a tangent again,lol,LMFAO@Me-self

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
See the rest of the 2003 draft after Kings first pick...Boyle...Pushkarov...so the Kings draft Brownie and a host of others and we miss out on Getzlaf,Burns,Parise,Perry,L Eriksson,P Bergeron,Shea Weber,M Lapierre,David Backes and Jimmie(James) Howard! Not really sure the Kings hit the BPA too many times then...they did with A Frolov,not with J Karlsson,D Steckel,Grebeshkov,Lewis...but we have better scouts now we hope. A wiser bunch,not sure if they are as crafty as some in the past with some of the trades the Kings made...Stollie,M Greene,Richards,Penner for the play-offs for sure and the Stanley Cup of 2012, Carter,Gaborik...Williams,Mitchell and Scuds...Good trades good free agent signings...the ol' Kings were built partly through the draft and partly through astute deals and moves...sorry went off on a tangent again,lol,LMFAO@Me-self

I actually think they hit the "BPA" button a lot. I think their bigger problem was development and not really having a draft philosophy. Fortunately it worked out with Kopitar, but even guys like Tambellini were drafted either where they were 'supposed' to be drafted or they were drops. Not a lot of reaches by the draft team then IIRC, though I haven't really audited the picks. Hell, brown was the #2 ranked NA Skater!

Edit: Boyle was a reach and a reaction to Jessiman IIRC.

It wasn't until DL came along with a real 'vision' that we started to see our drafts swing a little more towards 'need' or at least 'our guy' picks rather than just raw BPA and that philosophy was overall great though it made our 1st rounds sketchy.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I actually think they hit the "BPA" button a lot. I think their bigger problem was development and not really having a draft philosophy. Fortunately it worked out with Kopitar, but even guys like Tambellini were drafted either where they were 'supposed' to be drafted or they were drops. Not a lot of reaches by the draft team then IIRC, though I haven't really audited the picks. Hell, brown was the #2 ranked NA Skater!

Edit: Boyle was a reach and a reaction to Jessiman IIRC.

It wasn't until DL came along with a real 'vision' that we started to see our drafts swing a little more towards 'need' or at least 'our guy' picks rather than just raw BPA and that philosophy was overall great though it made our 1st rounds sketchy.
I've always felt that the BPA thing is a bit silly because once you get outside the top 10 there really is no BPA. At that point it's really impossible to tell who BPA is.

Teams that always draft who they're "supposed" to based on the consensus are usually teams that don't draft well.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I've always felt that the BPA thing is a bit silly because once you get outside the top 10 there really is no BPA. At that point it's really impossible to tell who BPA is.

Teams that always draft who they're "supposed" to based on the consensus are usually teams that don't draft well.
Yep. Just look at prior year re-drafts and it's easy to see the BPA was rarely the BPA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad