Confirmed with Link: Kings sign Jack Campbell to a 2-year extension, $1.65 AAV

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Good deal for the Kings. Rooting for Campbell to continue his development. This deal makes him a great asset for the Kings, one that can be kept or traded. Don't want to wish an injury on any goalies around the NHL, but I hope there is a market for goalies at the deadline.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Campbell is the most likely King to be selected in the expansion draft.

We may see a three goalie rotation for next season, since Seattle won’t be drafting a team until 2021.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Campbell is the most likely King to be selected in the expansion draft.

We may see a three goalie rotation for next season, since Seattle won’t be drafting a team until 2021.

Three goalies for 2019-2020? Not unless someone is hurt. Three goalies for 2020-2021? No, Petersen will no longer be waiver-exempt after this coming year season. Blake will have to move someone at the trade deadline or over the summer after this season is complete. Opposing GM's will know this and have the upper hand. Best scenario IMO is for Quick to regain his form and have a playoff team's starter go down with injury prior to the trade deadline to create market value.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Three goalies for 2019-2020? Not unless someone is hurt. Three goalies for 2020-2021? No, Petersen will no longer be waiver-exempt after this coming year season. Blake will have to move someone at the trade deadline or over the summer after this season is complete. Opposing GM's will know this and have the upper hand. Best scenario IMO is for Quick to regain his form and have a playoff team's starter go down with injury prior to the trade deadline to create market value.

They need to have a goalie exposed in 2021, and if Quick or Campbell aren't dealt, Petersen will have to be up with the team by the start of the 2020-21 season. Thus the possibility of the team having to carry three goaltenders. Is it unlikely? Sure. But is it possible? Yes.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They need to have a goalie exposed in 2021, and if Quick or Campbell aren't dealt, Petersen will have to be up with the team by the start of the 2020-21 season. Thus the possibility of the team having to carry three goaltenders. Is it unlikely? Sure. But is it possible? Yes.

If they're carrying 3 goalies at some point, for any length of decent time, then someone messed up somewhere. Quick is irrelevant, but 3 goalies wouldn't help Campbell, or especially Petersen.

I don't know what this signing means, because it doesn't really relieve any roster pressure. Blake is still going to be squeezed by the numbers. Still has at least a few months to figure it out, so we'll see.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Oh no, does this mean we have to watch old Quickie flail around in the crease again while he dislocates his groin?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If they're carrying 3 goalies at some point, for any length of decent time, then someone messed up somewhere. Quick is irrelevant, but 3 goalies wouldn't help Campbell, or especially Petersen.

I don't know what this signing means, because it doesn't really relieve any roster pressure. Blake is still going to be squeezed by the numbers. Still has at least a few months to figure it out, so we'll see.

Great deal.

And nice to not paint the goalie contracts situation too obviously. Nice to have options and leverage. This way it's semi-unclear which goalie is slotted for what and leaves some of it up to performance and chance.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
We likely won’t see any goalie trades until a market opens up, and that may not take shape until the midway point of the season.

There are a few teams with question marks in net with Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary and Columbus. They’ll give the goalies they have a shot to prove themselves, but should they falter, then the Kings can find themselves a trading partner.

Campbell will now look more attractive due to his affordable contract, but he hasn’t had very many starts for teams to consider him a starter. Quick had the worst season in his career, and he’s going to be coming in determined to bounce back this season.

The only assurance we have is that Cal Petersen will be with the Kings next season. Don’t know which one of the two other contracted goalies will be back in 2020-21, but at least we know they have options.

The last time the Kings had a three goalie rotation was when they added Felix Potvin while they still had Fiset and Storr, and Potvin’s resurgence made those two ride the pine most nights.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I’m wondering if Ranford and Imoo will get a percentage of this contract after resuscitating his career after the trade from Dallas.
I’m thinking 10% for each is fair.

Reactions: RossLonsberryFan

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
Oh no, does this mean we have to watch old Quickie flail around in the crease again while he dislocates his groin?
How does signing another goalie to a 2 year deal become this quote? Look out everyone this edgy poster doesn’t like Quick.

Reactions: go4hockey

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
How does signing another goalie to a 2 year deal become this quote? Look out everyone this edgy poster doesn’t like Quick.
I'm actually bothered it took you so long to notice I'm not a Quick fan boy.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Great deal.

And nice to not paint the goalie contracts situation too obviously. Nice to have options and leverage. This way it's semi-unclear which goalie is slotted for what and leaves some of it up to performance and chance.

That's the part where I'm not sure if anything has changed. Even if Quick has a good year, he's still going to be 34, with term, and as with any aging player, you're just waiting for when. We thought Carter was going to age like fine wine a few years ago, and then he got hurt, and now he's crap. Even with Brown's good years post-Sutter, it would still be difficult to pull of a trade, because he's now going to be 35 soon, still with a couple years to go, and maybe he falls back down to 14 goals again. Quick has missed some time over the last couple years, and also the style of play that has made him who he has been, needs a somewhat specific kind of team in front of him to take advantage of it. We've also seen where Quick can take an average at best Kings roster, and he's only getting older.

So there's still that Quick ceiling(if only because of term), which Bernier, Jones, and Kuemper all had to play under. You still have a soon to be 25 year old Petersen, who has been suggested to be the goalie of the future. It seems like an unsigned or signed Campbell is still caught in between those two ends. Made only worse if Quick doesn't have a good year again, and/or if Campbell were to fall back down to Earth a bit. Of the 59 goalies that have played at least 36 games the last 2 years, Campbell's numbers are great. He's also played the fewest games and minutes of those 59 goalies.

But again, I'm not sure if any of those potentialities would be different if Campbell was still set to be a UFA next July. It doesn't even buy Blake more time, because Petersen starts his 1 way deal next year. Carrying 3 goalies has rarely if ever worked. If they carry 3 goalies, it's really an admission that they're stuck. Individually, it's a great deal. Big picture, do they have more options and leverage? Can't say I'm sold on that particular idea yet.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
That's the part where I'm not sure if anything has changed. Even if Quick has a good year, he's still going to be 34, with term, and as with any aging player, you're just waiting for when. We thought Carter was going to age like fine wine a few years ago, and then he got hurt, and now he's crap. Even with Brown's good years post-Sutter, it would still be difficult to pull of a trade, because he's now going to be 35 soon, still with a couple years to go, and maybe he falls back down to 14 goals again. Quick has missed some time over the last couple years, and also the style of play that has made him who he has been, needs a somewhat specific kind of team in front of him to take advantage of it. We've also seen where Quick can take an average at best Kings roster, and he's only getting older.

So there's still that Quick ceiling(if only because of term), which Bernier, Jones, and Kuemper all had to play under. You still have a soon to be 25 year old Petersen, who has been suggested to be the goalie of the future. It seems like an unsigned or signed Campbell is still caught in between those two ends. Made only worse if Quick doesn't have a good year again, and/or if Campbell were to fall back down to Earth a bit. Of the 59 goalies that have played at least 36 games the last 2 years, Campbell's numbers are great. He's also played the fewest games and minutes of those 59 goalies.

But again, I'm not sure if any of those potentialities would be different if Campbell was still set to be a UFA next July. It doesn't even buy Blake more time, because Petersen starts his 1 way deal next year. Carrying 3 goalies has rarely if ever worked. If they carry 3 goalies, it's really an admission that they're stuck. Individually, it's a great deal. Big picture, do they have more options and leverage? Can't say I'm sold on that particular idea yet.

Quick is in his final season of being paid $7 million per year. So I agree he is the #1 goalie this year, but next year that could change. He's being paid 7 years at $7 million. But next year his salary goes way down to $3.5 million. And then the following two seasons after that it's $3 million and $2.5 million. So he could up and retire if he wants and only walk away from from 15% of his contract with 30% term remaining. Or he could stay on as a veteran backup.

So yes, the Kings now have multiple options available, including carrying 3 goalies for one season. Injuries happen too. It's a risky proposition to trade one of their three goalies this year without knowing if Villalta can play in the AHL yet. So I think you may see Petersen in the AHL all this season or until Villalta proves he's legit.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
really really really doubt the Kings waste the roster spot by carrying three goalies next season

doubt it so much I'd be willing to say that even tho it's within the allowable options it's so unlikely as to be ignored as a realistic possibility

The only thing carrying three goalies on the roster would accomplish is reducing the value of each of them

The Campbell signing makes him a more valuable trade asset and pushes the deadline on moving one of their goalies from the trade deadline to next offseason.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Good deal for the Kings. Rooting for Campbell to continue his development. This deal makes him a great asset for the Kings, one that can be kept or traded. Don't want to wish an injury on any goalies around the NHL, but I hope there is a market for goalies at the deadline.

yeah, for Quick.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Note i never said "MORE" options/leverage. Only that it's still relatively unclear via signing who is taking what and where. I'd argue Campbell being on a great deal increases his trade value. Quick still has to play well no matter what. But if Campbell falters, Petersen can walk in. If Petersen can't hack it, we have Campbell super cheap for an additional year. And so on. I also think Quick being nearer the end of his deal makes it a different situation than Jones or Bernier.

Whereas Campbell signing a one-year deal says "we're riding Quick and Petersen, come trade for Campbell for pennies on the dollar." That's all. I think I'm actually agreeing with you that if anything there's less clarity, but I'm saying that's a good thing.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The main board thread about this deal is hilarious. Apparently it's a bad signing because Dallas cant develop goalies to save their life.

Seriously.

The last goalie they developed into a starter was Marty Turco. Campbell goes from "barely managing in the ECHL" to "decent NHL backup" and they don't make the connection of what the environment could have done with that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->