Kings score 3 straight with under 2 minutes to tie the game

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Quick left turing the first period, Jones was in net for the rest of the game.

Yet was actually worse :laugh:

I've watched the replay, it's even more fun the second time. What a sideshow.

Guess both teams executed their gameplans pretty well offensively. Lots of traffic and tips to get around goalies who you usually aren't beating on a straight shot.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Yet was actually worse :laugh:

I've watched the replay, it's even more fun the second time. What a sideshow.

Guess both teams executed their gameplans pretty well offensively. Lots of traffic and tips to get around goalies who you usually aren't beating on a straight shot.

Sutter said told the guys several times it was going to take 7 goals to win and he was right.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Maybe you've only watched this season which has been pretty ugly, but last season Jake only had 24 pts (if he's sacrificing defence wouldn't you expect that to be a little higher, unless you mean he just sucks all around), which was less than Doughty, while leading all Kings in Corsi %. Even this season there have been multiple occasions where Muzzin is the first man back into the zone defending a rush while Doughty is nowhere to be found. Regarding him running around in the zone, Muzzin leads Kings defensemen in SA60 with only 22.54 and CA60 45.59. In fact he is 8th in the league (players over 500min) in CA60. And how is passing not a defensive skill? If you can make a good breakout pass to start a rush out of your own zone, isnt that a good thing? Coaches tell players not to go up the middle yet you've probably pulled your hair out watching one of your players blindly throw it up the middle. It does take good defensive awareness to pass.

I'm quite aware of the advanced stats that make Muzzin look like one of the best defensemen in the league. I'm all in favor of advanced stats, but they shouldn't be followed blindly. Muzzin is one of the few cases where the advanced stats are misleading, IMO. He's frequently out on the ice with Doughty and the top line, which includes one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Naturally, his shots/chances for and shots/chances against are going to be high and low, respectively. The system helps, too. In general, players (especially defensive players) who were nothing special on other teams (like Schultz, McNabb, McBain and Scrivens) tend to come to LA and, suddenly, look really solid, to the naked eye and in the stats. Muzzin is no different, except that he's been given even greater opportunity and made even more of it. Good for him, but that doesn't make him as good as he seems.

Last edited:

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
I'm quite aware of the advanced stats that make Muzzin look like one of the best defensemen in the league. I'm all in favor of advanced stats, but they shouldn't be followed blindly. Muzzin is one of the few cases where the advanced stats are misleading, IMO. He's frequently out on the ice with Doughty and the top line, which includes one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Naturally, his shots/chances for and shots/chances against are going to be high and low, respectively. The system helps, too. In general, players (especially defensive players) who were nothing special on other teams (like Schultz, McNabb, McBain and Scrivens) tend to come to LA and, suddenly, look really solid, to the naked eye and in the stats. Muzzin is no different, except that he's been given even greater opportunity and made even more of it. Good for him, but that doesn't make him as good as he seems. You evidently disagree, but that's fine.

I don't think Muzzin is that great of a player let alone defenseman. There's definitely much better D than him. Just pointing out, one, that he's good with Doughty (who, if you look up his stats, are quite different and worse than Muzzin's) and two, he's one of the better defensemen on the Kings, and only the Kings. Not trying to sound condescending or homer and make the Kings sound like they have all the best players in the league.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
That Stephen Burch guy on twitter was arguing Muzzin is a better defenseman in Shea Weber. Good OFD but my god...

Kings are such a machine when they turn it on.

Sometimes I wonder how the Flames would have done in the playoffs some years if Sutter was coach instead of GM...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad