Kings score 3 straight with under 2 minutes to tie the game

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
I don't think I've ever been so mad after a win. The Preds have a serious problem with sitting back and letting teams off the mat when they have them pinned.

At least Forsberg got his point though amirite?

Same.. Im not happy atm. Im so so disappointed.

If it was the first time this had happened I wouldn't be so upset, but its happened twice in a week. And 3-4 times this season, we need to tighten up on D late in the game.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I forgot about the florida incident. This is becoming a trend. I guess a 3-4 goal lead will become the most dangerous lead in hockey before too long.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Another fun fact of the game was every Predator, except Jarnkrok and Nystrom, getting at least 1 point. All D-men got on the scoreboard.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
It's closing in on mid-Season, so the Kings are starting to rev their engines. By the 60-game mark they'll be full steam ahead.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Still cant get over how many shots and chances LA is giving up this year. They cant survive playing Doughty 30 mins a night and having Quick stand on his head. Think back to their other regular season slumps over the past few years, they've all been a product of lack of goal scoring, which i believe was fixed when they added Gaborik and promoted Pearson and Toffoli. But this year its much more serious, and i think the illusion of the "Cup hangover" might be distracting people from how bad things really are. Their D simply isnt what its been the past few years. The Voynov saga, the departure of Mitchell, Martinez being banged up, whatever u wanna call it. Schultz is weak, and i dont think their younger guys are ready for the post season quite yet. Their back end is a mess right now, and im not sure if thats something they can fix by flipping a switch on a playoff run.

Captain Mittens*

Still cant get over how many shots and chances LA is giving up this year. They cant survive playing Doughty 30 mins a night and having Quick stand on his head. Think back to their other regular season slumps over the past few years, they've all been a product of lack of goal scoring, which i believe was fixed when they added Gaborik and promoted Pearson and Toffoli. But this year its much more serious, and i think the illusion of the "Cup hangover" might be distracting people from how bad things really are. Their D simply isnt what its been the past few years. The Voynov saga, the departure of Mitchell, Martinez being banged up, whatever u wanna call it. Schultz is weak, and i dont think their younger guys are ready for the post season quite yet. Their back end is a mess right now, and im not sure if thats something they can fix by flipping a switch on a playoff run.

The kings will pick a 2/3/4 dman at the deadline

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Good summary honestly. But I think since the problem is really apparent you have to believe one of the best gms in the game is working on a fix. Losing Mitchell, no Voynov, regehrs out due to his hand and is still a week out, McNabb is banged up...we've been icing doughty/muzzin Mcbain/Jeff Schultz greene/Martinez today. It's a wonder we are where we are in the standings with all the back end instability. But we will get Regehr and Mcnabb back and pick up a strong dman at the deadline and hope all is well. I agree it's not as much of a swift to flip this year as there are actual problems but they're still a top advanced stats team that is struggling with untimely breakdowns, injuries, and a crapload of just flat bad luck. That's fixable IMO. We are due for a big regression to the mean as always come February ;)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm concerned that the Preds are going to pull this in the playoffs and get burned. You can't expect teams to roll over and die in the playoffs like they might in the regular season. In the playoffs, the Preds will face teams like this that refuse to quit. They really need to work on this in the coming months.

In overtime, Sutter had 3 forwards out and Doughty. I wonder what he expected to happen. Doughty forgot that he didn't have a backup defender and was all of the way up at the blueline when the game-winner was scored. Doughty needs to have far better sense of the situation, and Sutter should be aware of his proclivities.

I really feel that Doughty needs to be re-united with a defensive partner. Even though he had no partner on the game-winner, it showed how prone he is to wander around the ice and what happens when a partner isn't staying home to cover for him. I feel that part of his struggles this year come from being paired with Muzzin, who thinks offense first all of the time and is unreliable defensively. I don't like the idea of pairing two guys who both assume that the other will cover for them. I would groom McNabb to be Doughty's partner and drop Muzzin to a lower pairing, where, he, too, can be given a defensive partner to cover for his mistakes, as well as fewer minutes.

Last edited:

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
I'm concerned that the Preds are going to pull this in the playoffs and get burned. You can't expect teams to roll over and die in the playoffs like they might in the regular season. In the playoffs, the Preds will face teams like this that refuse to quit. They really need to work on this in the coming months.

In overtime, Sutter had 3 forwards out and Doughty. I wonder what he expected to happen. Doughty forgot that he didn't have a backup defender and was all of the way up at the blueline when the game-winner was scored. Doughty needs to have far better sense of the situation, and Sutter should be aware of his proclivities.

I really feel that Doughty needs to be re-united with a defensive partner. Even though he had no partner on the game-winner, it showed how prone he is to wander around the ice and what happens when a partner isn't staying home to cover for him. I feel that part of his struggles this year come from being paired with Muzzin, who thinks offense first all of the time and is unreliable defensively. I don't like the idea of pairing two guys who both assume that the other will cover for them. I would groom McNabb to be Doughty's partner and dump Muzzin to a lower pairing, where, he, too, can be given a defensive partner to cover for his mistakes, as well as fewer minutes.

Don't know how often you watch the Kings but Muzzin does not think offense all the time and is one of the more defensively sound on the Kings (although he also has a good shot when in the offensive zone). He also has great chemistry with Doughty. Your reason is exactly why Muzzin is paired with Doughty. Kings also have guys like Greene and Regehr to support more offensive minded guys like Martinez (who is also pretty solid defensively).

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011

It's ok, Dean Lombardi is a magician. They'll just pick up Sekera for a bag of pucks at the deadline ...

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

I really feel that Doughty needs to be re-united with a defensive partner. Even though he had no partner on the game-winner, it showed how prone he is to wander around the ice and what happens when a partner isn't staying home to cover for him. I feel that part of his struggles this year come from being paired with Muzzin, who thinks offense first all of the time and is unreliable defensively. I don't like the idea of pairing two guys who both assume that the other will cover for them. I would groom McNabb to be Doughty's partner and drop Muzzin to a lower pairing, where, he, too, can be given a defensive partner to cover for his mistakes, as well as fewer minutes.

The last 2 OT that the Kings have had to play, Sutter has had 3 forwards and 1 Dman. He has told them to go all out for the extra point. In OT, it's 4 on 4 so Doughty is supposed to play his man and not a zone/area. If anything it was Carter's fault for losing HIS man the DMAN that scored. Doughty doesn't go one on one with Dmen.

And doughty's struggles have come from losing Voynov as his backup and having to play way more minutes. Voynov takes a lot of pressure off of doughty so he can play his game at less minutes.

Esteban Tornado

Mar 28, 2014
Las Vegas
Kings play like ***** and like Cup champs, then like ***** in the same game.
Frustrating, I'm not an NHL player, so I don't know what's goung on, but if they're getting ready to go on their late season run again, I can't see it yet.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Kings play like ***** and like Cup champs, then like ***** in the same game.
Frustrating, I'm not an NHL player, so I don't know what's goung on, but if they're getting ready to go on their late season run again, I can't see it yet.

Late season? They haven't even crossed the halfway point yet. Look to the Kings to start taking **** seriously in late February.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Don't know how often you watch the Kings but Muzzin does not think offense all the time and is one of the more defensively sound on the Kings (although he also has a good shot when in the offensive zone). He also has great chemistry with Doughty. Your reason is exactly why Muzzin is paired with Doughty. Kings also have guys like Greene and Regehr to support more offensive minded guys like Martinez (who is also pretty solid defensively).

I'm very familiar with the Kings and Muzzin sacrifices defense regularly to go on the attack. He's always making the risky play to avoid having to play defense. He's not "defensively sound" in the least bit. He's very good at passing, which helps him out very much in his own zone, but don't confuse that for defensive skill. As for chemistry, he and Doughty work well together in moving the puck and on the powerplay, but they tend to run around in their own zone, not sure where he each other is and which man he's taking, so the defensive chemistry is lacking.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
If Doughty and company didn't give up on OJ the Kings would've won the game. :laugh:

It's like they don't respect the guy at all despite the fact that he's scored over 300 career goals... :shakehead

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
I'm very familiar with the Kings and Muzzin sacrifices defense regularly to go on the attack. He's always making the risky play to avoid having to play defense. He's not "defensively sound" in the least bit. He's very good at passing, which helps him out very much in his own zone, but don't confuse that for defensive skill. As for chemistry, he and Doughty work well together in moving the puck and on the powerplay, but they tend to run around in their own zone, not sure where he each other is and which man he's taking, so the defensive chemistry is lacking.

Maybe you've only watched this season which has been pretty ugly, but last season Jake only had 24 pts (if he's sacrificing defence wouldn't you expect that to be a little higher, unless you mean he just sucks all around), which was less than Doughty, while leading all Kings in Corsi %. Even this season there have been multiple occasions where Muzzin is the first man back into the zone defending a rush while Doughty is nowhere to be found. Regarding him running around in the zone, Muzzin leads Kings defensemen in SA60 with only 22.54 and CA60 45.59. In fact he is 8th in the league (players over 500min) in CA60. And how is passing not a defensive skill? If you can make a good breakout pass to start a rush out of your own zone, isnt that a good thing? Coaches tell players not to go up the middle yet you've probably pulled your hair out watching one of your players blindly throw it up the middle. It does take good defensive awareness to pass.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
As a Blues fan watching this game, I thought, wow, it isn't just us. A nice, fleeting thought.

They appeared to be standing in their spots, yes.

Quick left turing the first period, Jones was in net for the rest of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad