Recalled/Assigned: Kings recall Voynov, Nolan, and King

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
nothing shocking here (nor do I think this is official) but all 3 are in route to LA already

Ian Clark's On Hockey: 3 Monarchs headed west

IAN CLARK
New Hampshire Union Leader

GOFFSTOWN -- THE FIRST WAVE of shakedowns has hit the Manchester Monarchs.

With the NHL resuming play later this month, players from AHL teams headed to the big league are getting the call and three Monarchs are flying west today. Jordan Nolan, Dwight King and Slava Voynov have all been recalled by the parent club Los Angeles Kings.

Andrei Loktionov, the fourth player who was with the Kings for the Stanley Cup win, will not be headed to L.A. - at least not right now. Just which other players might be needed remains to be seen.

"It looks like we're going to be losing some pretty valuable players. We had predicted that and it will create opportunities for others," said Monarchs head coach Mark Morris. "The other question is the injury situation and health situation in L.A. right now. Hopefully, we'll have the remainder of our team that we had planned on having."

King has a one-way contract so he should be all set for staying in Los Angeles, but Nolan knows he might be headed back to Manchester if things don't work out.

"It's definitely exciting to get back in action (at the NHL level). I'm on a two-way contract, so I've got to go up there and work hard," Nolan said. "My spot is not going to be given to me. Darryl (Sutter) is a tough coach and demands a lot, so I just want to work hard and earn a spot."

The rest of the Monarchs will just have to wait and see what happens.

"It's all kind of in limbo right now," said Monarchs defenseman Andrew Campbell. "Are they going to have a camp, are they not going to have camp, who might go up or down . we really have no idea now so just go with the status quo, keep doing your job. If you get a call to go up and practice, you go, and if not, we've got games this weekend so it's work as usual."

Meanwhile, Morris will have some work to do to move parts around, mixing up lines and special teams units.

"We know our personnel. Now we've got to find out what the chemistry is and defensive pairings," Morris said. "We've got to break in new penalty killers and jockey around with some of the power play. It's a work in progress. It's a cliché, but it's true."

Morris said he regrets that the Monarchs (16-15-4) were not able to make more hay while the four Kings players were on the roster. But having those players also created complications and ice time headaches.

"I had hoped that we would have more success than we did having the opportunity to have those guys back," Morris said. "It complicates things when guys who are accustomed to having their roles be what they were in the past (having them) reduced. It makes for some awkward situations and we tried our best to be fair and be consistent and also take into account what we needed to do from a developmental standpoint."

It will take a few weeks for things to sort out as the Kings get their roster squared away and as a result, the Monarchs find out what they have to work with.

THE MONARCHS called up J.F. Berube from Ontario in the ECHL to help out in practice this week. Martin Jones tweaked a hamstring in his win at St. John's over the weekend and his status for Friday's game against Albany at Verizon Wireless Arena is unknown.

"I think it's day-to-day for Jonesy," Morris said. "I talked to him and he was hopeful he'd be ready (for this weekend). (Trainer) Mike Muir will make that evaluation more toward the weekend."

Berube is playing well in the ECHL with a record of 11-3-2 and a goals-against average of 2.34, with one shutout. If Jones can't play this weekend, Peter Mannino would likely get both starts since the Monarchs play Friday, have Saturday off and play at Providence Sunday afternoon.

Manchester comes into Friday's game fresh off a two-game sweep at St. John's.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130109/SPORTS0702/130109223/1003/sports07

Last edited:

Ron*

Nolan isn't going back, LOL. :laugh:

The guy is a terrific fourth-liner. I love his attitude though. Work hard, and things will be just fine.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Nolan isn't going back, LOL. :laugh:

The guy is a terrific fourth-liner. I love his attitude though. Work hard, and things will be just fine.

Once Kopitar is back and IF Gagne stays healthy he might... Once Kopi is back that would give the Kings 15 forwards. That means someone has to go be it through trade or sent down and I think (may be wrong) Nolan is the only non-waiver eligible forward on the roster.

Stumbling Jack

Jan 4, 2013
Valencia
Looks like Nolan is going to have to outplay Clifford to stay up w/ the club unless more injuries occur (Gagne is the safest bet). Regardless, this is a great problem to have with this kind of depth.

Ron*

Once Kopitar is back and IF Gagne stays healthy he might... Once Kopi is back that would give the Kings 15 forwards. That means someone has to go be it through trade or sent down and I think (may be wrong) Nolan is the only non-waiver eligible forward on the roster.

Nolan was on the fourth line with Gagne and Fraser when they won the Cup. That is the lineup I would expect to open the season.

Richardson is the odd man out, in my opinion.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Nolan was on the fourth line with Gagne and Fraser when they won the Cup. That is the lineup I would expect to open the season.

Richardson is the odd man out, in my opinion.

And Clifford was sitting in the press box who is going to be Nolan's real competition to make the team this year. That said I'm perfectly fine with any combo of Westgarth, Richardson, Clifford, Nolan. Just pointing out that Nolan isn't a sure thing with Clifford, and Gagne both healthy.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
At the beginning of the playoffs remember the line was Clifford-Fraser-Nolan. I like that line a lot. Then Clifford got hurt, Richardson went in....then Gagne came back from injury and Richie came out.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
While I do prefer Clifford over Richardson, I find that having two of Clifford and Nolan on the same line is a tad bit redundant. I liked what Richardson added to that line as he became a bit of a pest and seemed to get under the skin of some of the opponents (Phoenix in particular, as he coaxed Yandle to the penalty box. He also did the same during the regular season and got Teemu Selanne of all people to drop the gloves).

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Richardson had 1 goal in 13 playoff games. Clifford had 0 in 3 games. Fraser had 1 in 18 games. Nolan had 1, but a huge one and a fight. Gagne played 4 games and had 0 goals. Westgarth didn't play any.

I also forgot to mention that Richardson took over center when Fraser returned home for those two games because of family issues.

The Clifford/Nolan combo brings a ton of grit, that is why I like that...Richardson was effective agaisnt the Yotes but was quiet agaisnt the Devils.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
How was Nolan's goal bigger than either Richardson's or Fraser's?

Richardson's goal was one of the more overlooked "huge" goals scored by the Kings in last years playoff runs.

And Fraser scored the first goal of the finals for the Kings.

I like Nolan and feel he should stay up, but come on, that comment made no sense.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Richardson's goal was huge!!!! You're right Herby, it was definitely the most overlooked. If I remember correctly, it was in the 3rd period of game 5 and we were down 1-0, right? Doughty made a great play and Richardson tapped it in the empty net but if he doesn't score there, we don't go to OT and we're looking at a game 6 with Vancouver having all the momentum.

Captain Mittens*

How was Nolan's goal bigger than either Richardson's or Fraser's?

Richardson's goal was one of the more overlooked "huge" goals scored by the Kings in last years playoff runs.

And Fraser scored the first goal of the finals for the Kings.

I like Nolan and feel he should stay up, but come on, that comment made no sense.
Exactly

But this is a new season and everyone starts over. It's good to have depth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad