Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Vilardi sharpening his skates for ONT in the next series when ONT beats Texas in round 1. Likely against a very good Tuscon club.

Is this possible? For Vilardi to play for The Reign in this playoff year? If so, how close is he?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Is this possible? For Vilardi to play for The Reign in this playoff year? If so, how close is he?

Pretty sure he can't since he is strictly an CHL player. The rule is pretty clear from the CHL that you have to have completed four years of Junior Hockey or be 20 years old by a certain date, or have played the entire season for your NHL team with your CHL team out of the playoffs.

Unless there is some rule I am not finding. Holden is much better at the CBA rules than I am

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Pretty sure he can't since he is strictly an CHL player. The rule is pretty clear from the CHL that you have to have completed four years of Junior Hockey or be 20 years old by a certain date, or have played the entire season for your NHL team with your CHL team out of the playoffs.

Unless there is some rule I am not finding. Holden is much better at the CBA rules than I am

He can, his season just has to end (likely will tonight). The age rules only apply for playing full seasons.

I'm will go find the article by Jon Rosen explaining where he can play.
Here it is:

Where can Gabe Vilardi play when his OHL season is done? - LA Kings Insider

Basically he would just have to sign an ATO, since his ELC starts next season.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
He can, his season just has to end (likely will tonight). The age rules only apply for playing full seasons.

I'm will go find the article by Jon Rosen explaining where he can play.
Here it is:

Where can Gabe Vilardi play when his OHL season is done? - LA Kings Insider

Basically he would just have to sign an ATO, since his ELC starts next season.

This is the correct answer, however if the Reign don't win tonight and next Monday night, it's a moot point although I suppose it's possible he could play on Monday if the Reign get that far and if Kingston is knocked out with a couple of extra days before the Reign play. Tough spot to put an 18 year old into the deciding series playoff game on the road (if it gets that far).

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Once a junior aged player has completed their junior season they may join an AHL team on an ATO to finish the year. So yes once Vilardi is out i would expect him to be in Ontario. This does not change anything with regards to eligibility for the next season (As in at the start of the year next year Vilardi is still NHL or CHL only iirc).

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Once a junior aged player has completed their junior season they may join an AHL team on an ATO to finish the year. So yes once Vilardi is out i would expect him to be in Ontario. This does not change anything with regards to eligibility for the next season (As in at the start of the year next year Vilardi is still NHL or CHL only iirc).

And sadly, since Ontario has been eliminated, it's all moot.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
To bad for Gabe he’s not American, he’d probably be making good money under the table playing in London, Kitchener or Windsor. So the financial hit of another year in the OHL would be very minor.

Kudos to the OHL though, looking out for his best interests by keeping players like him out of the AHL and a quicker path to the NHL.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
And sadly, since Ontario has been eliminated, it's all moot.

Tough for the Reign, but not a ton of high end talent down there.

Petersen is going to be unbelievable next year for the Reign though. Really great signing for the Kings, big adjustment from NCAA to pro shooters and he was great. Hopefully the next Martin Jones.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Tough for the Reign, but not a ton of high end talent down there.

Petersen is going to be unbelievable next year for the Reign though. Really great signing for the Kings, big adjustment from NCAA to pro shooters and he was great. Hopefully the next Martin Jones.

True. Peteresen may well be Quick's replacement in a few yrs.
Thankfully, the talent level goes up next year for the Reign, with additions of Clague, Strand, Sheldon Rempal, and Eyssimont. Expect Luff and Austin Wagner to elevate their games.
Possible that Brickley will be there too, if does not make the Kings. Still hopeful Spencer Watson emerges too. Had 25 goals in 48 games in Manch. Wish JAD could play in AHL, he seems
ready to go pro but cannot play AHL.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
2 periods in the books here in Hamilton and it’s tied at 1 a piece. Shots on goal 26-9 in favour of the Bulldogs.

Not much doing for Vilardi tonight. Had a chance in the slot on the PP it caught a piece of the goalie and ricochet off the crossbar.

Some NHL personnel in the building tonight with the likes of Dave Nonis and John Chayka seen.

Final 20 coming up. Let’s see if Vilardi comes up with something.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Bulldogs beat Kingston 2-1 and advance to OHL Final.

Coles notes on Vilardi after seeing him in person for 3 games and catching parts of the other two on TV.

-NHL shot, quick release. He can fire it, no doubt.
-will play physical and stir things up, not shy to assert himself.
-needs to continue to work on his defensive game.
-pretty decent skater with room to improve.
-reads the game fairly well.
-will need to put some more muscle on as he transitions to the pros which is common with a lot of kids who come from the junior/college ranks.
-played a bunch on the PP, did not notice him much on the PK.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC

And very nice that they’ve staggered their goalies’ ages. Hopefully, a couple of these guys end up in the NHL.

As a lifelong Kings’ fan, it is so satisfying that we have such a goaltender factory with Ranford and Imoo. Goalies want to come to Kings/Reign to improve their game.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->