Kings on Youtube TV out of market?

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Anyone tried Youtube TV who understands how their out-of-market / blackout works? I live in the SF Bay area and want to record/watch the Kings on FSW and FS Prime Ticket. I'm not clear how the teams/content-owners are treating blackouts.

Here's the FAQ on the types of blackouts that can be enforced. I'm just wondering whether someone out there is currently using the service and how the teams seem to be doing it.

When I was on Uverse in LA, I could watch any out of market Fox Sports channel without restrictions except when that team was in LA, in which case, the live broadcast was blacked out. So I couldn't watch FSAZ's live broadcast of Coyotes @ Kings, while in LA (but could watch the repeat broadcast that sometimes happened at midnight for weekday games). I don't remember whether I could watch FSAZ live broadcasts of Kings @Coyotes. But I could watch both FSAZ and FSCarolinas live broadcasts of Coyotes @ Hurricanes while in LA.

So if the blackouts work the same on Youtube TV, I'd be able to watch FSW/FSPT coverage of the Kings almost all the time, except for when the Kings play the Sharks. It's possible I'd have to watch the Sharks broadcast depending on who was hosting. Or maybe always.

Just looking for some insight from a current user.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I'm not to familiar with YouTube TV, but typical blackouts in areas are only to protect the home teams so you are probably right in your assessment. Anything in the bay will be Sharks territory, so their feed will be exclusive.

If you know someone with a DirecTv, Cable, etc. subscription who lives in the LA area, bug them for their login and you can watch all the games on Fox Sports Go, which are surprisingly good quality. You'll get every Kings's broadcast that way.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I know this doesn't help the thread much but I couldn't find a better place to ask this. Please forgive the thread hijack.

Is Sling TV legit? It says here that they've added regional networks. Does that mean I can cancel my main provider? I really only keep my DIRECTV to watch fs west and prime ticket. I live in Orange. All the HBO and all that is available elsewhere for cheaper. Am I missing something here?

Clueless about this ****.

Reactions: KINGZFAN

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
I know this doesn't help the thread much but I couldn't find a better place to ask this. Please forgive the thread hijack.

Is Sling TV legit? It says here that they've added regional networks. Does that mean I can cancel my main provider? I really only keep my DIRECTV to watch fs west and prime ticket. I live in Orange. All the HBO and all that is available elsewhere for cheaper. Am I missing something here?

I've never had sling used directv now and it had fox sports west and prime ticket listed as being on the service. I was in Oregon at the time so I didn't have them so can't be fully sure.
Best thing I can say is put in your zip and see exactly what channels come up.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I use my playstation Vue app for TV. Haven't had a Kings game get blacked out yet.

Playstation Vue gets all the Fox sports channels.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California

Sling is legit. Right now, though, I'm not subscribed until hockey season is back. If FSW and Prime Ticket are what you're only after, then Sling is your answer. It's only $25 a month, and that's with FS1 and NBCSN, along with some local channels.

I just tried out DirecT now and it looks great. It's just too pricey for me. You have to pay $55 a month just to get FSW, so it's basically paying for the real DirecTV.

PSVue is another false "alternative" to cable. $74.99 a month? **** that.

The only bad thing about Sling is that it is a couple of minutes behind the feed you're getting from cable or satellite. So I suggest to never read GDTs during a game.

EDIT: Hulu TV also looks like a good deal.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Anyone tried Youtube TV who understands how their out-of-market / blackout works? I live in the SF Bay area and want to record/watch the Kings on FSW and FS Prime Ticket. I'm not clear how the teams/content-owners are treating blackouts.

Here's the FAQ on the types of blackouts that can be enforced. I'm just wondering whether someone out there is currently using the service and how the teams seem to be doing it.

When I was on Uverse in LA, I could watch any out of market Fox Sports channel without restrictions except when that team was in LA, in which case, the live broadcast was blacked out. So I couldn't watch FSAZ's live broadcast of Coyotes @ Kings, while in LA (but could watch the repeat broadcast that sometimes happened at midnight for weekday games). I don't remember whether I could watch FSAZ live broadcasts of Kings @Coyotes. But I could watch both FSAZ and FSCarolinas live broadcasts of Coyotes @ Hurricanes while in LA.

So if the blackouts work the same on Youtube TV, I'd be able to watch FSW/FSPT coverage of the Kings almost all the time, except for when the Kings play the Sharks. It's possible I'd have to watch the Sharks broadcast depending on who was hosting. Or maybe always.

Just looking for some insight from a current user.

I currently use NHL.tv but being a cord cutter am always looking for other options. After reading the link you provided I get the impression that when you sign up your home area is identified (probably via an ip address) and you are given access only to the sports channels in your "local" area. This would imply that you cannot access the SoCal Fox sports channels from the bay area. With Uverse (I once had their service) I believe you can purchase many of your out of area sports channels. That sounds like what you had before.

Notes:

If you're a frequent traveler, make sure to use YouTube TV at least once every three months in your home area. This ensures YouTube TV can continue to offer you the correct local networks.
If you're an MLB fan, make sure to use YouTube TV at least once every 30 days in your home area to avoid sports game blackouts.Learn more about blackouts on YouTube TV.
If you've moved and need to change your home area, please contact YouTube TV support.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Pretty sure you are blacked out if not in the local market, hence why they have you put in your zip code before signing up so you can see what channels you can get in your area.

I'm thinking about cutting the cord as well but I think I'm chickening out on it a bit. Internet costs + Streaming Service + Having to pay more to the streaming service for NFL Network and some others doesn't seem to save me that much for the hassle it entails.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Sling is legit. Right now, though, I'm not subscribed until hockey season is back. If FSW and Prime Ticket are what you're only after, then Sling is your answer. It's only $25 a month, and that's with FS1 and NBCSN, along with some local channels.

I just tried out DirecT now and it looks great. It's just too pricey for me. You have to pay $55 a month just to get FSW, so it's basically paying for the real DirecTV.

PSVue is another false "alternative" to cable. $74.99 a month? **** that.

The only bad thing about Sling is that it is a couple of minutes behind the feed you're getting from cable or satellite. So I suggest to never read GDTs during a game.

EDIT: Hulu TV also looks like a good deal.
sling was utter trash for me when i was looking for cable alternatives, it would buffer literally every 10 seconds. completely unwatchable. and psvue is only 75/mo if you want all the extras, 45 gets you the fox sports regionals and (imo) great quality, but i effectively don't watch anything but hockey and cancel it in the offseason

KingNothing4

Sep 10, 2009
Basement of Staples
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am ready to dump Spectrum cable and i got YoutubeTV assuming id get the Kings games. I am in the Kings market, so I want to make sure the FS channels and NBCSN will actually play Kings games since I'm in the local Kings tv market? Just afraid of getting blacked out. Idk really how all this crap works, but clicked on some random baseball game on YTTV, and it said it was blacked out so I instantly became concerned Kings games will be blacked out. Googled my concern and found this thread so figured I would bring it back, plus maybe someone else will be in the same boat. Kings games are really the only thing I watch on TV, but wife and kids need channels too so I need some sort of live TV option.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I'm not sure how FS Go does their geoblocking. I know for a fact that is is limited outside the USA. I have, however, watched Kings games on my mobile when out of the area, I watched one in Monterey last year when on vacation. I was on Wifi, so they might just go by your account rather than your location. They talk about taking it with you where you go in the FAQ, so it's likely you'll be able to use it with any SoCal login. If you know someone well enough down here with FSW, just offer them some cash for the season or a couple of cases of really good beer for their login.

Reactions: King Trouty

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm pretty sure the same blackout rules that apply to NHL.tv will apply to YouTube TV.

Games broadcast on local and national television in your area are subject to blackouts in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™. In certain regions, if a game is available for you to view on television in your local viewing area, then it will not be available to watch live in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™.

You may want to consider purchasing a VPN service.

Reactions: eleventy

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Cool hopefully this will be the case.

If not I will try the VPN. Does that just basically hide the fact you are within the local market or something?

They essentially hide your IP, showing you are connected to any one of the IP addresses anywhere that VPN has a server running. So even though you are in California, you could access something that can only be accessed in the UK (if your VPN has servers there), for example.

I recommend trying a trial with one first, though, if you use services like Netflix. They've been known to block IP addresses from known VPN's. They can't verify country location for those IP addresses.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I also used YouTube tv last season, in LA, saw all the games. There was one against the Ducks where I had to watch their feed because the Kings feed was on channel 13. Otherwise all good.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Just FYI, if you like the NHL Network don’t go with Hulu. They don’t have it on there even though it’s the home of the NHL.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Not 100 percent sure but reddit has a thread that shows every mlb game, it's how I watch the dodgers without having spectrum. I'm would assume there is an nhl thread as well.

Each game has around 10 links to streams, just choose one that has no ad overlays....

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Just imagine how much more convenient and cheaper Dodger baseball on TV would've been today had they stayed with Fox Sports...

Spectrum won't even include SNLA in their streaming service. Scums.

Reactions: Legionnaire

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Just imagine how much more convenient and cheaper Dodger baseball on TV would've been today had they stayed with Fox Sports...

Spectrum won't even include SNLA in their streaming service. Scums.

It's not that big an inconvenience if you know the loopholes, just subscribe to mlb.tv ($115 for the whole season, or you can get just one team for less than half). Then if you are in the blacked out region, subscribe to a VPN service (as little as $3 a month if you commit to 2 years, they usually give 7 day free trials). Hook your laptop up to your TV and you're set.

You can do the same thing watching the Kings in market on NHL.tv if you are a cord-cutter.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->