Post-Game Talk: Kings of the Road for once! Jets win 4-3

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Where's that guy who is always ragging on Jokinen, even called him uncomplimentary names based on his last name.:(

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Tonights game is a perfect example of how skewed that stat can be.

On Kane's 2nd goal, Bogo was in the d zone when the Jets left the zone, and then headed for a change and Buff came on.

So Buff would have gotten the plus, and was not involved in the play at all, never got to center ice. At least Bogo was in position, minding the zone, until the Jets moved it out.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
To be honest I don't think bogo had a very good game in his own zone either.

Bogo seemed to lose board battles against Callahan, one shift in particular, IIRC. But i think that happens quite often, with Callahan and opposition dmen.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I didn't think Buff was as bad as said. He had that one awful moment coming around behind our net, but I don't recall anything beside that. He did have one beastly offensive shift.

The commentators called out Bogo a couple of times for a few errors.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Great road trip, none of us saw this one coming! Pavs with another solid game, just a pure model of consistency this season :handclap:. Go jets Go! :yo:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
On Kane's 2nd goal, Bogo was in the d zone when the Jets left the zone, and then headed for a change and Buff came on.

So Buff would have gotten the plus, and was not involved in the play at all, never got to center ice. At least Bogo was in position, minding the zone, until the Jets moved it out.

Agreed that +/- are often very misleading especially for D-man. Doesn't take into account where a D-man makes the play in his own end gets the puck out and makes a quick change right before his team scores. But these things will likely balance out over a season. Also doesn't account for the quality of the line match-ups.

I've seen Buff much more dominant and be even or minus. He wasn't really involved offensively very much, at least to the point we are use to seeing.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Georges laraque once had a hatty. Just saying.

That being said it was a solid game for peluso. Seemed to have better patience, settling in better. Well see.

That being said, still cannot understand how people can hate on machacek skating and say peluso skates well. Don't see it. But I have never been too hung up skating, it's the most overrated attribute IMO. If peluso can continue to win board battles on work very hard on his d zone coverage maybe he can be a 4th liner.

Georges Laraque was a decent 4th liner in those days as well. ;)

No, I'm mindful of the fact that Peluso probably won't have too many opportunities to play with Kane and Jokinen. But like you were saying, Peluso's overall game yesterday made a good impression.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I didn't think Buff was as bad as said. He had that one awful moment coming around behind our net, but I don't recall anything beside that. He did have one beastly offensive shift.

The commentators called out Bogo a couple of times for a few errors.
I didn't think he was terrible, but Clitty definitely was. +3

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
I, for one, am not jumping for joy after that win - as a team, the Jets looked to be confused and disorganized when the Rags were pressing from the points, and there were a lot of free pizzas given up, especially in the neutral zone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that they got the wins and went 4-1 on the road, because that's a huge improvment over last year's edition of the Jets. However, a team like Pittsburgh or Montreal would've feasted on the giveaways and confused passes in the Jets zone.

With that being said, however, there were some oustanding individual efforts by some players. Jokinen, Peluso and Wright looked good together, and Kane and Burmistrov are rapidly becoming dynamite together. So much so, in fact, that the two of them should be out for the entire two minutes of every PK, and they should be on the ice for the last two minutes of the game (considering that the Jets leave the outcome in some doubt, even with a two goal lead).

Mark my words, Kane and Burmistrov will make every other Jets forward expendable. They are solidifying their positions as untouchables. They are beginning to develop chemistry together, and as they start learning each other's positioning, just watch how the puck will end up on their sticks in impossible situations. They damn near scored on the PK out of sheer hustle, and if it weren't for a rolling puck on one shot and Burmi dragging a little on the other chance, they could've easily had two shorties.

I can't wait for Enstrom to come back, because him and Bogo are going to start serving up passes to Kane and Burmi like Housley feeding Selanne. The Jets are going to have a dominant PP in the near future.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Loved the little chat that Kane and Burmi had about Burmi delaying his pass over to Kane until it was too late. As DarthMonty says, this could be the beginning of a very productive player pairing. Some of this is wishing on my part, but I definitely like what I'm seeing happening between those two over the last few games.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Every time we win I feel our Post Game Talk threads are missing something. Just feels kind of empty. Maybe it's just me. :)

I'll tell ya one thing, on this current road trip, with their backs pretty well against the wall for the sake of the season, these Winnipeg Jets have been Fuelled By Passion.

Last edited:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I predict that Coach Noel will state at some point today that they definitely aren't going to separate their own shoulders by patting themselves on the back, that they have to start winning at home again, and that there is certainly more joy in Joyville right now.

:D

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I predict that Coach Noel will state at some point today that they definitely aren't going to separate their own shoulders by patting themselves on the back, that they have to start winning at home again, and that there is certainly more joy in Joyville right now.

Yup. That certainly was no Picasso they painted in the third, too many free pizzas. You wanna keep a rosary on the bench with some of those close calls. Hopefully they go back to playing more north-south tomorrow, and they get enough A games from players.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
A great victory. I really enjoyed the sequence where Callahan broke his stick and Winnipeg was controlling the puck in the Rangers zone and Callahan (stickless) kept making these heroic blocks of shots and the Ranger fans were (understandably) going wild at his efforts - but Winnipeg, quietly and doggedly, kept controlling the puck in the Ranger zone -even after a line change- and then scored. That really deflated the home faithful.

As not the biggest Buff fan here, I thought he had a pretty good game - but not on D. He was really active deep in the Ranger zone - very reminiscent of his play for the Blackhawks during their cup run - when he played forward. One thing Buff would bring on offense (as a forward) is a lot of space for Kane, Burmi and Little to maneuver.

Kane is damn fast on the ice - just saying.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
A great victory. I really enjoyed the sequence where Callahan broke his stick and Winnipeg was controlling the puck in the Rangers zone and Callahan (stickless) kept making these heroic blocks of shots and the Ranger fans were (understandably) going wild at his efforts - but Winnipeg, quietly and doggedly, kept controlling the puck in the Ranger zone -even after a line change- and then scored. That really deflated the home faithful.

As not the biggest Buff fan here, I thought he had a pretty good game - but not on D. He was really active deep in the Ranger zone - very reminiscent of his play for the Blackhawks during their cup run - when he played forward. One thing Buff would bring on offense (as a forward) is a lot of space for Kane, Burmi and Little to maneuver.

Kane is damn fast on the ice - just saying.

I would have been irate if that had happened to us. It's just one of those things that are supposed to fire the own team up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad