Kings Need Extra Picks in 2020!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I imagine the Kings may be stuck with what they have...and that means the Quick,Kovalchuk,Carter contracts at least until the deadline. Blake had better work those phones and try to offload them even if that means taking on partial or all of their salaries. Martinez...Toffoli too because they have value should also be dealt in line with the vision of getting younger and cheaper...ditto for Lewis whose 2 Million could be spent on a player making entry level money playing the 4th line. Now if Blake can make all that happen and parlay them into extra picks in 2020 the Kings may turn this spiraling franchise around in quick order. Hopefully an extra first rounder can be had as well as extra 2nds and 3rds...This team needs RD-men and LWingers and when Kopitar is deemed too expensive or not wanting to be part of a youth movement then a numero uno centre...like to see the Kings draft the likes of Byfield,Drysdale,Schneider,Grans,Holtz and Raymond with Sanderson,Guhle and Kleven as possibilities too. Now 3 or 4 would fill the prescription well...couple the movement of players to the NHL from Ontario and the graduation of players from the Junior/College and European ranks may have the faithful singing or at least hopeful for better days after what looks like a pretty dreadful 2019-20 season!

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Considering the guys you mention are mostly struggling on one of the 3 worst teams in the NHL I think expectations of trading then with decent returns are overly optimistic. If he can move them for a first and a couple of 2nds + he's going to be in the running for GM of the year. Toffoli at a stretch can maybe get a 1st but he needs to get better, much better. Martinez is playing horribly and only an injury crisis for a contender would see him net more than a 3rd. After that with the contract status of the other guys I'm not sure where the value is to any play-off side. Lewis has been dreadful, so who will want him.

We cannot take on all of any players salary, there's a limit of retained salary (I think its 25%) and taking on a bad contract or two may be needed. We are not in a bind cap wise in the immediate future so its an option but I'd hate to have more deadwood blocking the younger players. I think realistically we are more likely going to have to wait until the 2021 deadline for Kovi to move and who knows when for Quick and Carter.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
I imagine the Kings may be stuck with what they have...and that means the Quick,Kovalchuk,Carter contracts at least until the deadline. Blake had better work those phones and try to offload them even if that means taking on partial or all of their salaries. Martinez...Toffoli too because they have value should also be dealt in line with the vision of getting younger and cheaper...ditto for Lewis whose 2 Million could be spent on a player making entry level money playing the 4th line. Now if Blake can make all that happen and parlay them into extra picks in 2020 the Kings may turn this spiraling franchise around in quick order. Hopefully an extra first rounder can be had as well as extra 2nds and 3rds...This team needs RD-men and LWingers and when Kopitar is deemed too expensive or not wanting to be part of a youth movement then a numero uno centre...like to see the Kings draft the likes of Byfield,Drysdale,Schneider,Grans,Holtz and Raymond with Sanderson,Guhle and Kleven as possibilities too. Now 3 or 4 would fill the prescription well...couple the movement of players to the NHL from Ontario and the graduation of players from the Junior/College and European ranks may have the faithful singing or at least hopeful for better days after what looks like a pretty dreadful 2019-20 season!

The only players on the Kings that could return a first round 2020 pick: Kopitar, Doughty, Turcotte, possibly Kaliyev and Bjornfot. That's it. No other single player is worth a 2020 first rounder.
If you want a first round 2020 pick for, say Toffoli, it would be like Toffoli + JAD and you do not want to do that. Toffoli alone will not get a first round 2020 pick. Martinez may not even
get a 2nd rounder. He's almost 33 and not playing well. Let's tank and get a shot at Lafreniere or Byfield..and if in the top 6, have shots at Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti, Drysdale...it MAY not
be a bad idea to get the goalie, Askarov....if he shows all year that he's that good. Consider Cal Petersen is already 25. If the Kings are in the 6-10 range and Askarov is BPA, may be the best
choice.

What other single player alone, than these, are worth a 2020 1st rounder? (of course, Kopi and DD return more than 1 2020 first round pick)
Kopitar, Doughty, Turcotte, possibly Kaliyev and Bjornfot. (No other single player on the Kings or in the system is worth a first round pick. Mikey Anderson actually may be, but don't think
any GM would trade a first round pick for him....and of course, MAKES NO SENSE to trade Turcotte, Bjornfot, Kaliyev. I've just made a list of King players / in the system players
worth a 2020 first round pick....the way things are going, Sean Walker could possibly be worth one, if he keeps rising.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We don't need firsts. If we stock a bunch of 7ths, we could land the next Kubalik!

But I agree with @andys this time with respect to it's time to dump some of these guys even if it takes retention to do so.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
The only players on the Kings that could return a first round 2020 pick: Kopitar, Doughty, Turcotte, possibly Kaliyev and Bjornfot. That's it. No other single player is worth a 2020 first rounder.
If you want a first round 2020 pick for, say Toffoli, it would be like Toffoli + JAD and you do not want to do that. Toffoli alone will not get a first round 2020 pick. Martinez may not even
get a 2nd rounder. He's almost 33 and not playing well. Let's tank and get a shot at Lafreniere or Byfield..and if in the top 6, have shots at Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti, Drysdale...it MAY not
be a bad idea to get the goalie, Askarov....if he shows all year that he's that good. Consider Cal Petersen is already 25. If the Kings are in the 6-10 range and Askarov is BPA, may be the best
choice.

What other single player alone, than these, are worth a 2020 1st rounder? (of course, Kopi and DD return more than 1 2020 first round pick)
Kopitar, Doughty, Turcotte, possibly Kaliyev and Bjornfot. (No other single player on the Kings or in the system is worth a first round pick. Mikey Anderson actually may be, but don't think
any GM would trade a first round pick for him....and of course, MAKES NO SENSE to trade Turcotte, Bjornfot, Kaliyev. I've just made a list of King players / in the system players
worth a 2020 first round pick....the way things are going, Sean Walker could possibly be worth one, if he keeps rising.

Askarov is my choice if he's available after 6th.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Askarov is my choice if he's available after 6th.
Why do the Kings need to draft another 'tender? We have Petersen about to assume the reins,Vallalta and Kehler in Fort Wayne-Ontario and the likes of Hrenak(St Cloud),Ingham(Kitchener)Parik(Spokane)available in the next year or two...so getting a 18 year old 'tender makes no sense...we have issues on defense especially RD...Bjornfot,Anderson and Clague will probably solve the problem on the port-side but the Starboard side almost bare...Walker is OK as a 5th D-man...Strand as a 7-8th possibly...Spence as a 6-7th...We need a bonafide star at RD not named Doughty not another goaltender... but if you set on another perhaps Mack Guzda of Owen Sound in round 2 or 3!

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Why do the Kings need to draft another 'tender? We have Petersen about to assume the reins,Vallalta and Kehler in Fort Wayne-Ontario and the likes of Hrenak(St Cloud),Ingham(Kitchener)Parik(Spokane)available in the next year or two...so getting a 18 year old 'tender makes no sense...we have issues on defense especially RD...Bjornfot,Anderson and Clague will probably solve the problem on the port-side but the Starboard side almost bare...Walker is OK as a 5th D-man...Strand as a 7-8th possibly...Spence as a 6-7th...We need a bonafide star at RD not named Doughty not another goaltender... but if you set on another perhaps Mack Guzda of Owen Sound in round 2 or 3!

Because if 5 or 6 of the top prospects are off the boards you take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE and if Askarov is there he's the best player available. Look I don't disagree with what you're saying but a chance to get a potential franchise goalie like Askarov I'd take that chance. He's the best goalie prospect since Carey Price and if you get him you solidify your goalie issues for years to come. I'm loving what Petersen is doing and how some of our young Goalies are progressing but too many good young goalies is always a good problem to have. If we are in the top 5 yes I would love any of the forwards but if we drop out I'd no doubt take Askarov. Either way whomever we draft will help this organization for many years to come.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Can’t see BLuc taking a goalie with a top pick. It’ll be 3-5 years before the kid plays. They’ll be drafting for nhl readiness.

Reactions: kilowatt and andys

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

1. You don't draft for need.
2. By the time Askarov is in the NHL and ready, Petersen will be getting a higher salary and will need a good backup
3. While the pipeline is promising, there's still no guarantee for them.

I'm naturally wary of taking a goalie high due to the volatility of the position, but writing off Askarov for "need" when he outdueled first round pick of last year, Spencer Knight, and achieving this already, at the age of 17:

2018-2019
Hlinka Memorial Bronze Medal
U17 WHC All-Star Team
U17 WHC Best GAA (1.40)
U17 WHC Best SVS% (.948)
U17 WHC Gold Medal
U18 WJC All-Star Team
U18 WJC Best Goaltender
U18 WJC Silver Medal
2019-2020
Hlinka Gretzky Cup Gold Medal

I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: ru4reals

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It should always be what you think the BPA is at the time, and if the draft is going wonky like last year, tie goes to the position in shorter supply still on the list.

No need to ever take a goalie high, really. The game is so different in the NHL compared to juniors that only few of them ever adapt to the game at that level. You'll have guys like Fleury who will win cups, but that was more about Crosby/Malkin. I mean, when's the last time a first round goalie carried his team to the cup? It's been a bit.

I did a little digging and here's some interesting numbers I found.

Here's the first round goalies (plus games played):

Martin Brodeur1266
Roberto Luongo1044
Grant Fuhr868
Marc-Andre Fleury813
Tom Barrasso777
Olaf Kölzig719
Cam Ward701
Kari Lehtonen649
Carey Price638
Jean-Sebastien Giguere597
Jocelyn Thibault586
Martin Biron508
Tuukka Rask505
Devan Dubnyk501
Jim Rutherford457
Semyon Varlamov456
Phil Myre439
Bob Sauve420
Cory Schneider402
Trevor Kidd387
Dan Cloutier351
Marc Denis349
Jonathan Bernier334
Brian Boucher328
Rick DiPietro318
Michel Larocque312
John Davidson301
Michel Plasse298
Gary Edwards286
Jamie Storr219
Andrei Vasilevski218
Pascal Leclaire173
Al Montoya169
Jim Waite106
Eric Fichaud95
Mika Noronen71
Dan Blackburn63
Jason Muzzatti62
Hannu Toivonen61
Malcolm Subban48
Jack Campbell45
Jason Bacashihua38
Terry Richardson20
Gordie Laxton17
Adam Munro17
Leland Irving13
Maxime Ouellet12
Patrick Desrochers11
Jean-Francois Damphousse6
Marek Schwarz6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So I bolded the 5 who have had significant impacts on winning the cup. I guess you could argue MAF, but his stats aren't close to impressive in the playoffs. He won the cup one year with a 3.04/.875, another with a 2.61/.908. He was solid for the 3rd with a 2.56/.924, but not a team carrier IMO. Even if you add him in it's a very short list. Just over 1 in 5 play 500 games. Sure, there's a couple that should make 500, like Vasilevskiy and Varlamov, but that's not a good hit rate.

How many are impact guys on that list? I'd say 15 or less, that's 23%. Also, 77% of first rounders play over 100 games in the NHL. Only 53% of first round goalies do.

That's just how I interpret the list, and it doesn't take into account that some of those goalies were surely BPA, but the numbers say it's far riskier to draft a netminder in the first round than a position player. There's been a few studies of career players, but they were a while ago as the players have to be old enough to retire to get good data. Goalies had the lowest average games played (320) of first rounders. Defense and forwards averaged 398 and 457 respectively. Older data, yeah, but the numbers are similar to the list above.

Last edited:

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
1. You don't draft for need.
2. By the time Askarov is in the NHL and ready, Petersen will be getting a higher salary and will need a good backup
3. While the pipeline is promising, there's still no guarantee for them.

I'm naturally wary of taking a goalie high due to the volatility of the position, but writing off Askarov for "need" when he outdueled first round pick of last year, Spencer Knight, and achieving this already, at the age of 17:

2018-2019
Hlinka Memorial Bronze Medal
U17 WHC All-Star Team
U17 WHC Best GAA (1.40)
U17 WHC Best SVS% (.948)
U17 WHC Gold Medal
U18 WJC All-Star Team
U18 WJC Best Goaltender
U18 WJC Silver Medal
2019-2020
Hlinka Gretzky Cup Gold Medal

I don't know what to tell you.
I wouldn't worry about Askarov...the Kings are in the Lafreniere,Byfield sweepstakes for certain! I'm just hoping LA can offload a bunch of players to get us another top 7-8 pick and garner Drysdale!!! It may take trading a Vilardi,Quick,Toffoli,Martinez... 3 of the 4 might do it...I wonder who could be in line come deadline time!

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kings aren't going to offload those old coots. Seems to be the only organization in the NHL that isn't trying to get rid of its decrepit vets.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kings will be taking whoever falls to four. The question is, will that be Drysdale, Raymond, or Byfield? Happy with any, though Drysdale certainly fills an organizational need at RD.

I'm still not opposed to the DL plan of pairing a young puck mover with a stay at home veteran, though. With Doughty on the right, and guys like Bjornfot and Anderson on the left, we really only need a veteran RD2 and LD3 to get us where we need to be.

Bjornfot - Doughty
Anderson - Regehr
Mitchell - Walker

I don't know who the 2020 equivalents of Regehr and Mitchell are, but let's find them.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Kings will be taking whoever falls to four. The question is, will that be Drysdale, Raymond, or Byfield? Happy with any, though Drysdale certainly fills an organizational need at RD.

I'm still not opposed to the DL plan of pairing a young puck mover with a stay at home veteran, though. With Doughty on the right, and guys like Bjornfot and Anderson on the left, we really only need a veteran RD2 and LD3 to get us where we need to be.

Bjornfot - Doughty
Anderson - Regehr
Mitchell - Walker

I don't know who the 2020 equivalents of Regehr and Mitchell are, but let's find them.

We won't know how good those prospects will be until 2-3 years from now. Our problem now is that we don't have enough good bridge players, 24-27 age group that can transition this team towards the younger more promising core while the vets phase out. Walker maybe...but my bet next year is going out and sign\trade for those transitional NHL ready players. We are not ready to get vets on the D and make a run, that's more in the latter half of the rebuilding plan. It's almost the same with the forwards to be honest.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I mean, when's the last time a first round goalie carried his team to the cup? It's been a bit.

I did a little digging and here's some interesting numbers I found.

I know there's a general phobia with taking goalies in the first round, but making a list of first round goalies and pointing out the ones who didn't make it can be misleading. Make a list of defensemen taken outside the top 10 and it's easy to come up with a mediocre list as well.

The 'when did a first round goalie win a Cup' argument also seems a little off: A) There aren't a ton of first round goalies in the league to begin with. B) Tuukka Rask came a couple bounces away from winning five months ago and would have presumably been the Conn Smythe.

I get it, I wouldn't take a goalie if there's a possible 1st line forward / 1st pairing defenseman on the board. But once you get out of the top tier, I think it's a valid conversation. But I think people are too quick to say "never use a 1st rounder on a goalie" even if that first rounder is in the back half of the round.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
We don't need firsts. If we stock a bunch of 7ths, we could land the next Kubalik!

But I agree with @andys this time with respect to it's time to dump some of these guys even if it takes retention to do so.
Saturday night Kubalik(5) scores and on Sunday an assists so far!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->