News Article: Kings love the winning feeling; poised approach to Cup repeat bid

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I've read most of the online 'season preview...LA KINGs, repeat.etc. articles and most are standard fare, built off boxscores and by some writers who aren't that familiar with the team (like the one today who in the middle of his article about the KIings possiblyi being a dynasty said that the young players, Pearson, Toffoli and Vey are youngsters that give the team a ridiculous amount of depth).

But this article was pretty good and captured the essence of why this team has 2 Cups in 3 years .

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kings-...-to-stanley-cup-repeat-bid-004809308-nhl.html

I thought this stood out:

Winning has strengthened the Kings’ culture, especially winning the way the Kings did last season, grinding, grinding, coming back again and again in games and in series. They play a demanding style that requires buy-in – hard, heavy, structured – and it is easier to buy in when you know it can work. Sutter sets the tone, but the core players set the example for the newcomers and the youngsters.[/

That to me is the key to this teams playoff success. You can't put a price on how valuable that is, to have the incredible and unbelievable amount of leadership in that locker room. And some of the quotes from the Black Aces underlined that exact thought. It's all the difference between true contenders and paper pretenders. There are teams with more elite talent but they don't have the mental strength or the heart and mindset this team has , to play harder for the guy next to them, to play all for the crest not the name. As Sutter said during the playoffs last spring of one of those leaders, Richards, that his 'only reward is winning. that's it'
And every core player in that room shares that mentality, and collectively, it works.

After one of their come from behind wins , Williams said he knew they'd win because when he looked around that locker room, he looked at every face and that's all he needed. That kind of faith is the stuff that is paving the way for this team to take their place one day as one of the best teams ever.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad