Dreger: Kings looking for a young dynamic LHD

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The Kings have so much prospect capital it makes sense for them to consolidate it into some more proven assets at some point.

I think they’ll wait to see what they have in Byfield but I wouldn’t be surprised if some of their bigger names are eventually on the table if they are serious about trading for some impact players (Turcotte, Vilardi, etc).

Actually, while our prospect capital may seem "big" it actually isn't because we're not looking to trade that stuff right now. Just too early. For all we know, for example, Akil Thomas, our fifth/sixth best center prospect might turn into a Mike Richards' type, top six team captain on any contender. Then in hindsight, that would be a bad deal to trade him for anyone straight up other than a Thomas Chabot-level LHD for us. Plus we're looking to draft probably a LHD with our 1st rounder this year as well...so that's precious to us too.

Our biggest trade capital is actually...our huge cap space.

I could easily see a team like Tampa with a Sergachev or a team like Toronto with a Sandin trading us a cap dump so they add a huge amount of cap flexibility toward the deadline, in order to plug in any holes going in to the playoffs or even loading up.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Actually, while our prospect capital may seem "big" it actually isn't because we're not looking to trade that stuff right now. Just too early. For all we know, for example, Akil Thomas, our fifth/sixth best center prospect might turn into a Mike Richards' type, top six team captain on any contender. Then in hindsight, that would be a bad deal to trade him for anyone straight up other than a Thomas Chabot-level LHD for us. Plus we're looking to draft probably a LHD with our 1st rounder this year as well...so that's precious to us too.

I could easily see a team like Tampa with a Sergachev or a team like Toronto with a Sandin trading us a cap dump so they add a huge amount of cap flexibility toward the deadline, in order to plug in any holes going in to the playoffs or even loading up.
You show me the contract those teams are desperate enough to get rid of that they’d move a Sergachev or similar player with it and I’ll show you a contract even the Kings wouldn’t want to touch.

Reactions: Guitpik

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I thought Ghost to LA made sense before two things happened this offseason. 1) LA traded for Maata and 2) Niskanen retirement

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

LA's prospect pool is still mostly wildcards right now. Akil Thomas may be the next Mike Richards or he may be the next Nic Shore. He's done nothing to prove either one at this point. Same with almost every other prospect currently not on their NHL roster. They are all totally unproven at the NHL level and haven't done much at the AHL level either. So the best thing to do is for LA to keep them or use them as secondary pieces in any trade. With the possible exception of Byfield, none of the Kings prospects is going to bring back an established NHL level under 25 dynamic LHD.

They could get one in the draft this year but he would still be 2-3 years away from the NHL which is probably not what Blake has in mind. And at their current pace, they look like they'll be drafting mid-teens anyway.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think Blake is in a position where he needs to be stubborn. If it is not a significant upgrade above who they have then better to hold.

I'm likely in the minority but I think if there's a deal to be made with Toronto it's Rielly with an extension in place in the off-season. A little over the age range bracket but otherwise fits perfectly.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
You show me the contract those teams are desperate enough to get rid of that they’d move a Sergachev or similar player with it and I’ll show you a contract even the Kings wouldn’t want to touch.

You may be right...but who knows? I'm just saying in this environment plus LAs wanting to hold on to their key prospects, it might be cap we spend over prospects, in value.

Reactions: Reaper45

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I’m a stat watcher only. How’s he actually doing this year?

He has made huge strides defensively this season. The lack of offense is actually puzzling, but he has been our 2nd best defender so far this season. The only reason we'd trade him is that the mix isnt working and we need to make some moves. I anticipate trading Hanifin would come after trading pieces like Gaudreau and Monahan too.

There's also no rush on our end, we can wait until past the expansion draft if it results in a better package for us.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Too biz to precisely map this out to fullest extent but
something like

3 way:
Dahlin to LAK
Zib +++ [from NYR and LAK] to Sabes
Byfield to NYR

addresses OP
gives many pieces to BUF incl enuf to keep Eichel + Hall happy
gives NYR a stud C prospect to replace Zib [a wince for LA but they can afford it and go there if balance of deal is profitable]

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
something like

3 way:
Dahlin to LAK
Byfield to NYR

addresses OP
gives NYR a stud C prospect to replace Zib [a wince for LA but they can afford it and go there if balance of deal is profitable]

Unless your sending Kakko to Buffalo there is no reason for the Rags to be in on this. Kings have the assets to deal directly with Buffalo.

Also don't think Kings are looking for an all star d man.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Bruins have a lot of good young LHD NHL ready prospects. I’m sure we could work out a swap for a similarly leveled Center prospect.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Ferraro is off limits. Sorry LA

Seeing the lengths we went to in order to avoid trading Jones to SJ just to end up having Boston ship him there anyways, I don't know if that would even be a reasonable option. :laugh:

That being said, we did trade Toffoli and Martinez within the division during the rebuild.

Reactions: themelkman

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
What would LA give up for Noah Hanifin?

Post-expansion draft, this would be great. He hasn't quite lived up to his cap hit, but we'll have plenty of space in the next 3 seasons. I bet Yawney could work wonders with Hanifin, and the talent is definitely there.

Who is Hanifin's most common partner? Is he top pairing for the Flames or top 4?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
something like

3 way:
Dahlin to LAK
Byfield to NYR

addresses OP

NYR sends Zib + Kakko

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Unless your sending Kakko to Buffalo there is no reason for the Rags to be in on this. Kings have the assets to deal directly with Buffalo.

Also don't think Kings are looking for an all star d man.

1 OP specifies "young, dynamic". Does not HAVE TO be all star, but this is a fit.

2. As to 2 team restriction, BUF is floundering. need instant relief, hence zib. Also need futures for age dif of Zib - Dahlin
larger package = mo flexibility

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Tampa trading Sergachev to help them compete in the playoffs is one of the sillier things I've read on this site.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
something like

3 way:
Dahlin to LAK
Byfield to NYR

addresses OP

Why involve the Rangers here? LA has the pieces necessary to acquire anyone. Hell, if Buffalo wants to go big, let's go big.

To LA: Eichel, Dahlin
To Buf: Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Kupari, Clague, Grans, 2021 1st

Kempe - Eichel - Vilardi
Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Andersson - Carter - Athanasiou
Grundstrom - JAD - Moore

Dahlin - Doughty
Bjornfot - Roy
Anderson - Walker

Last edited:
Reactions: KingTech

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
Sounds like Brannstrom is your guy, he is currently a top 4 dman, can run a power play, only 21 and does not have to be protected. Ottawa might be willing to trade him at the end of the season if they think Sanderson is ready to make the jump next year.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Brannstrom is absolutely not your guy. As much as I enjoyed watching Sens lose 5-1, 7-1, 7-3 regularly because we have nobody who can rush the puck on the back end or competent D in general, well I dont.

When Sanderson turns into Zach Werenski, sure we'll have this conversation. Right now he is not an NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->