Kings Hire Adam Oates as a consultant

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Really interesting to see what Oates has done since leaving coaching. He said recently that on the Spittin' Chiclets pod that he won't be coaching again so it doesn't interfere with his video consulting company with all those NHL players.

Surprised to see he's affiliating himself with a club, as he seemed to think going solo was the best bet moving forward.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Didn't he seriously restrict Ovechkin's scoring?

My condolences to Kovalchuk...

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Didn't he seriously restrict Ovechkin's scoring?

My condolences to Kovalchuk...
He actually changed OV's game into what it is now.

OV had a mid career slump of sorts where it looked like he would never win another rocket..

Oates turned him from a predictable north south threat into more of a Brett Hull type scorer where the play came to him.

OV regained his rocket form because of Oates.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017

OV had a mid career slump of sorts where it looked like he would never win another rocket..

Oates turned him from a predictable north south threat into more of a Brett Hull type scorer where the play came to him.

Then it was Dale Hunter, who forced him to play RW if I remember correctly...

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Nope.

No no no. No.

If Ovechkin were still employing what he went through with Oates, he wouldn't even be a left wing anymore.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
So what happens if one of the independent players he "consults" signs as a FA with the Kings?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Coming from a Caps fan, beware of Oates! When he was the Caps coach, he was telling the Caps goalie coach on how to coach the goalies! Oates can be very arrogant and egotistical. I hope he doesn't ruin the Kings player development program, even as a consultant!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

As a die hard Caps fan, I can tell you that is everything as close to false!

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Nope.

No no no. No.

If Ovechkin were still employing what he went through with Oates, he wouldn't even be a left wing anymore.

As a die hard Caps fan, I can tell you that is everything as close to false!

I'm wrong?

So Ovechkin scored 32 goals and 38 goals. The 2 lowest of his career the two years prior to Oates.

Then when Oates became coach, he scores 32 in 48 games (Rocket / Hart winner) and 51 goals (Rocket Winner).

What's the story then?

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Step 1: Kopitar and Quick trade sticks.
Step 2: Kovalchuk to RW
Step 3: Stanley Cup

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Oates played forward in the NHL, so he must know how to coach defensemen, which means he knows how best to coach goalies... right?

Keep Quick as far away from Oates as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->