Proposal: Kings - Flyers

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Why is this thread still going??? Kings fans don't want to pay the necessary assets to acquire Ghost and Flyers fans don't really want to trade him YET.

The Flyers are playing well right now and look like they are coming together as a team, we shouldn't be making any changes right now.

The Kings are out of the playoffs amd looking to rebuild/retool. This trade makes no sense at this point in time for either side. Let it die

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Is there any reason why we would even consider trading for Ghost?
We are in rebuilding mode and need to be as far down the standing as we can.
Adding a defender that would bump us up from 29 to 27 while losing prospects doesn't make any sense
This is why you do it. And of course this is assuming you think Ghost will bounce back to 50 points. If you don't see the bounce back then of course answer is no. No harm no foul.

You are buying at his lowest value he will have. He plays well. Either you trade in February at trade deadline or you protect in 2021 ED. At least 10 teams will lose their 4/5 D man in expansion draft and need to replace. And you bring in better prospects than the ones you gave up to get Ghost. 28 year old (in 2021) Ghost who is trusted pp 1 and scoring gets 2 1's(not saying today value saying with bounce back 1 year from today).

That is why Kings would do it. Now if you fear total meltdown and medical on knee surgery he just had are iffy then of course just pass.

Reactions: ricardfromage

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
i think this is a good offer. Ghost has played injured a lot and he hasn't been put in any position to succeed. However, I just don't get the trade from an LA perspective. Aren't you guys rebuilding? Whats the point in getting ghost? Ghost needs to be on the top pp to be successful and if doughty is going to be on it then..

other than that i think its a fair deal for both teams. ghost can still put up 40 in a bad year (last year, he has been out this year and played with an injury), and flyers get a nice prospect and a 2nd.

Reactions: ricardfromage

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
It's not a question, the Kings are dedicated to a total build. Not a retool, a rebuild. Blake stated himself early this season, there are only two players on the roster that are off of the board for a trade, Kopitar and Doughty. Is Gost the difference between making the playoffs and picking in the top 5? Absolutely not. So, there is no reason for the Kings to make this move. Regardless of whether Gost realizes and exceeds his potential. It's not going to help this team on their current projection. This proposal (and I understand that a Kings fan was the one who proposed it) is the very antithesis to the direction this team as been on for a few years now. Trading away pick(s) and prospects, which is what this team covets most makes no sense.

Reactions: Stumbling Jack

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
It's not a question, the Kings are dedicated to a total build. Not a retool, a rebuild. Blake stated himself early this season, there are only two players on the roster that are off of the board for a trade, Kopitar and Doughty.
I think Brown is off the board as well.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I like the idea of Ghost in LA but I don't like the idea of LA dealing what it would take to get him.
Probably rather try and bring in a UFA d-man on a 3-4 year deal for ghost money rather than spending assets on Ghost. Even it it means not as good of a d-man coming to LA as a UFA.

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020
Rather LA invest on a two-way Dmen, like a Hutton since LA has plenty of puck movers in Ontario to add to Doughty and Walker

Last edited:
Reactions: YP44 and go4hockey

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I've been waiting for 2 years for Gostisbehere to " kill it". Tired of hearing all of the excuses on the Flyers board that are made for Gostisbehere.

I'm not sure people make excuses. We just don't want to move him because we can see what he can bring. Injuries mean he's not had a solid stretch of hockey, i'd like to see him get that before i give up on him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Oh cool. I guess Jonathan Cheechoo is worth a 1st too because 56 goal scorers are worth a lot.

Dude, you can't use 1 season from 3 years ago to set the value.

He has 7 pts. He's not top 3 in the league in scoring, he's not even top 6 on his own team in D scoring.

Who has 7 points?

NHL.com Stats

Ghost has had a poor season in terms of production and then he got hurt two months ago and has only played once since, but his P/GP is still similar to Myers, Braun and Hagg.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I still think ghost to the flames makes alot of sense for Calgary. They have a lot of UFA d and his contract would fit right in. I think Bennett could be a good basis. The flyers are very deep though so not sure exactly the need

Reactions: Devonator

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I don't care for the O.P. deal whether you like Ghost or not lets keep it real there will be no shortage of takers and the Flyers would get value for him.

Reactions: Devonator

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I still think ghost to the flames makes alot of sense for Calgary. They have a lot of UFA d and his contract would fit right in. I think Bennett could be a good basis. The flyers are very deep though so not sure exactly the need
While I see Bennett being a trade your disappointment for our disappointment logic there is a flaw. Couts is definately 1c. Hayes is the 2c. And Frost should be the 3c UNLESS Patrick recovers from migranes and takes over being the 3c. So at best Bennett is 4c on Flyers. And that is assuming Flyers let Grant walk.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
While I see Bennett being a trade your disappointment for our disappointment logic there is a flaw. Couts is definately 1c. Hayes is the 2c. And Frost should be the 3c UNLESS Patrick recovers from migranes and takes over being the 3c. So at best Bennett is 4c on Flyers. And that is assuming Flyers let Grant walk.

I am a kings fan first with a routing interest in the Flyers. Living in Calgary I listen to a lot of Flames talk. My reasoning for putting bennett is to be used as a winger and a center in case of an injury or too. Even then though the Flyers would need to know what is going on with Patrick first and it's not like the flyers do not have wingers already.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am a kings fan first with a routing interest in the Flyers. Living in Calgary I listen to a lot of Flames talk. My reasoning for putting bennett is to be used as a winger and a center in case of an injury or too. Even then though the Flyers would need to know what is going on with Patrick first and it's not like the flyers do not have wingers already.
Yeah...the Flyers just don't need Bennett. For others to reference, here is the team for next year as of now:

Giroux Couts Voracek
JVR Hayes Konecny
Frost Patrick Farabee
Raffl Laughton Aube-Kubel

Organize those guys as you wish, but those are 12 guys signed or to be signed for next year. Vorobyev "could" be the 13th forward as he needs to clear waivers next year if demoted. Then of course, they still have Lindblom around but not penciling him in.

Provy Niskanen
Sanheim Myers
Ghost Hagg
Morin Friedman

That's the D that is signed or RFA's to be signed for next year. If you trade Ghost, that bottom 4 becomes a big question mark with only Hagg as the experienced guy.....not ideal.

So any deal for Ghost THIS summer, should be for picks, prospects, ED exempt D...AND if that person is NHL ready, that person needs to be better than Hagg/Morin/Friedman because if not, why bother. So that's where things get tricky. Oh...and it almost needs to be a RHD due to the LHD depth the Flyers have

I said it before, with Zamula, York, and possibly Kalynuk and Hogberg possibly being in the AHL next year, the best thing might be just to keep Ghost for next year while all these other kids develop for another year. That buys them time and keeps the depth for the Flyers for another year. Then after next season and before expansion, see if a team has a top 3 Dman spot for him to protect him and take what you can get for him. The return might be less, but it might make the most sense as far as icing the best team, keeping depth, and prospect development.

And that's why I would never sell low on him this summer. Too many positives to just keeping him.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Who has 7 points?

NHL.com Stats

Ghost has had a poor season in terms of production and then he got hurt two months ago and has only played once since, but his P/GP is still similar to Myers, Braun and Hagg.
If you actually followed the conversation you would've seen that in the post before this I mentioned "Even strength points". I didn't realize I needed to make that same explicit qualifier in my very next post, as I figure most people could read more than 1 post in a thread.

My apologies.

And prorated non-existent hypothetical goals don't actually help teams win. The fact that he is injured is not a plus in his column.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yeah...the Flyers just don't need Bennett. For others to reference, here is the team for next year as of now:

Giroux Couts Voracek
JVR Hayes Konecny
Frost Patrick Farabee
Raffl Laughton Aube-Kubel

Organize those guys as you wish, but those are 12 guys signed or to be signed for next year. Vorobyev "could" be the 13th forward as he needs to clear waivers next year if demoted. Then of course, they still have Lindblom around but not penciling him in.

Provy Niskanen
Sanheim Myers
Ghost Hagg
Morin Friedman

That's the D that is signed or RFA's to be signed for next year. If you trade Ghost, that bottom 4 becomes a big question mark with only Hagg as the experienced guy.....not ideal.

So any deal for Ghost THIS summer, should be for picks, prospects, ED exempt D...AND if that person is NHL ready, that person needs to be better than Hagg/Morin/Friedman because if not, why bother. So that's where things get tricky. Oh...and it almost needs to be a RHD due to the LHD depth the Flyers have

I said it before, with Zamula, York, and possibly Kalynuk and Hogberg possibly being in the AHL next year, the best thing might be just to keep Ghost for next year while all these other kids develop for another year. That buys them time and keeps the depth for the Flyers for another year. Then after next season and before expansion, see if a team has a top 3 Dman spot for him to protect him and take what you can get for him. The return might be less, but it might make the most sense as far as icing the best team, keeping depth, and prospect development.

And that's why I would never sell low on him this summer. Too many positives to just keeping him.

i agree this is likely the best route forward unless A) a team blows the doors off for return or B) Further issues arise on Patrick's health

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
i agree this is likely the best route forward unless A) a team blows the doors off for return or B) Further issues arise on Patrick's health
Yeah...the only "good" thing on the Patrick front, is that Frost should able to be the #3C next year without question and Laughton has proved he can play in the top 9....he is on a 46 point pace this year while playing on the 2nd and 3rd line.

So they have options at F.

Personally, I would look for a RHD that is ED exempt and had middle 4 upside. With Niskanen and Myers there now, no rush for this year...but Nisky is a UFA next summer. So having someone able to step into a middle 4 role at that point could fill a void. But that's becoming nitpicky...lol.

The biggest takeaway, is that there is no "need" to trade Ghost this summer. And if they do...the "need" is really just an ED Dman that is an upgrade on what they already have. So finding a "match" could be tough.

Reactions: YP44

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Since Ghost will be playing the next month either haters or lovers will get to rejoice and reevaluate.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I don't care for the O.P. deal whether you like Ghost or not lets keep it real there will be no shortage of takers and the Flyers would get value for him.
And here is the bottom line....teams will be lining up in the off season for the likes of Ghost ......he has an excellent contract and is young....regardless of HF posters, Ghost will fetch a nice price for the Flyers if they so decide to trade him in the off season!

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Ghost has at least 20 games and hopefully its 45 with playoffs to show what he is and can be. And game 1 he looked solid. Drew a penalty, handled puck well, no dumb turnovers I would take it all day. What Ghost's trade value is in off season or keeping value is yet to be determined.

Reactions: YP44

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If you actually followed the conversation you would've seen that in the post before this I mentioned "Even strength points". I didn't realize I needed to make that same explicit qualifier in my very next post, as I figure most people could read more than 1 post in a thread.

My apologies.

And prorated non-existent hypothetical goals don't actually help teams win. The fact that he is injured is not a plus in his column.

Good thing he's not injured anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad