Proposal: Kings - Flyers

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Is there any reason why we would even consider trading for Ghost?
We are in rebuilding mode and need to be as far down the standing as we can.
Adding a defender that would bump us up from 29 to 27 while losing prospects doesn't make any sense

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Is there any reason why we would even consider trading for Ghost?
We are in rebuilding mode and need to be as far down the standing as we can.
Adding a defender that would bump us up from 29 to 27 while losing prospects doesn't make any sense
Not looking to unload Gostisbehere... but is 27 year old is too old for a rebuilding team?

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
even before the injury he was a healthy scratch here and there and when he was in the line up, he wasnt doing much. He's just having a crappy season.

He was a "healthy" scratch.

He was injured, tried to play through it, and then decided to get the surgery.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I guess not. If you take something else than picks or youngsters i am listening.
A rebuilding team is not giving away their top youngsters or picks for veterans

Just a question for u Kurrilino who do u see as the left side of our defense? I mean if hutton and ryan leave ufa We would have no veteran playing on the left side. Also one the weakness the kings have had for years is our pp and i am sure u are aware. Ghost would help this and give us the best offensive lefthand defense in years
I would be ok with Clague going if u have ghost at worse hes a upgrade. As for the pick a low second is not a for sure thing. We also need talent in the prime ghost fits this

Reactions: verbalkint47

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I guess not. If you take something else than picks or youngsters i am listening.
On flip side if Kings offer flyers Jeff Carter for Ghost the next sound you will hear is a dial tone.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Just a question for u Kurrilino who do u see as the left side of our defense? I mean if hutton and ryan leave ufa We would have no veteran playing on the left side. Also one the weakness the kings have had for years is our pp and i am sure u are aware. Ghost would help this and give us the best offensive lefthand defense in years
I would be ok with Clague going if u have ghost at worse hes a upgrade. As for the pick a low second is not a for sure thing. We also need talent in the prime ghost fits this

I welcome not having a functional defense for the next 2 years. We have to ride out our old contracts and get more top3 picks before starting some adventures.
Bjornfood looks very promising to be a leading defender. Anderson is already looking very solid the 3 games he played here.
Claque would be the last person i would trade. The couple of games he spend here showed why. Great positioning and mobility plus the raids into the offense zone like Doughty used to do.
This is already 3 out of 6 defender positions, Braden Doyle is exploding right now and Cole Hults has a solid campaign as well.

As for the PP, we are running over 30% in our last 10 games. I was the old junk leftover from the Murray,Sutter era where creativity was literally forbidden. Since we start using youngsters who want to play real hockey it's picking up strongly. We have a 4 game winning streak and some wins against the top teams.

A player like Ghost would be someone i would trade for if our youngsters took the next step, taking over minor tasks at the NHL level like Villardi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guitpik

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
LA:
Ghost

Philly:
2020 2nd
1 of Kale Clague, Akil Thomas or Rasmus Kupari

Ghost would really solidify the Kings blue line.

Anderson - Doughty
Ghost - Roy
Bjornfot- Walker
MacDermid

If Philly has soured on Ghost this would clear cap space to add in free agency or another trade. Clague is a young LH PMD but would have to be exposed to Seattle. Thomas and Kupari are both RH C/W prospects.

Is that a decent base for a trade or do Philly fans prefer a hockey trade?

Thoughts?
No thanks.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That we keep him. Because top pair dmen that score top 3 in the league do. And he has a decent shot at that next year.

Oh cool. I guess Jonathan Cheechoo is worth a 1st too because 56 goal scorers are worth a lot.

Dude, you can't use 1 season from 3 years ago to set the value.

He has 7 pts. He's not top 3 in the league in scoring, he's not even top 6 on his own team in D scoring.

And he's not a "top pair" D if the team employing him has decided that 5 other guys should get more ES TOI than him.

Values don't stay static from 1 outlying year.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Oh cool. I guess Jonathan Cheechoo is worth a 1st too because 56 goal scorers are worth a lot.

Dude, you can't use 1 season from 3 years ago to set the value.

He has 7 pts. He's not top 3 in the league in scoring, he's not even top 6 on his own team in D scoring.

And he's not a "top pair" D if the team employing him has decided that 5 other guys should get more ES TOI than him.

Values don't stay static from 1 outlying year.

It’s not one outlier. He had a similar if not better year his breakout year when he had 17 goals in 64 games. If anything he has alternated from good year to off year when he’s still a near 40 pt dman. Basically gone .7 ppg to .5 to .8 to .5 to this year. That’s why I said keep him and see what he does next year. I agree his value is low now bc of injury surgery and his usage and production. Those all are likely related and therefore should be better after surgery.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not looking to unload Gostisbehere... but is 27 year old is too old for a rebuilding team?

Kind of, yeah. It's a risky move, trading for an offensive d-man who you hope will regain form on a worse team and who is theoretically past his production prime. Kings may as well see what they have in Clague instead of trading Clague and a high pick for Ghost. Most of our best prospects are sub-21, Ghost will be in his 30s when we're really competitive again. And I'm not really high on Clague pulling it off and I do really like Ghost, I just think the time frame vs. assets for the Kings is a tough sell.

Ghost would be more a move for a team who is already challenging for the playoffs and looking for finishing touches. We're still reading the blueprints.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Ok, you contradicted yourself in this post. I guess you did not notice it? It's cool.. carry on.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If a "rebuilding" were to trade for Ghost cheap, repair him back to 50 point season they will get a king's ransom (bad pun deal with it). Please note after 21 ED 10 teams will be looking to replace their 4 or 5 d they just lost in expansion draft. If Ghost went back to 50 points the "rebuilding" team would cash in very nicely in prospects in one year. So of course a rebuilding team should look into Ghost.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Kind of, yeah. It's a risky move, trading for an offensive d-man who you hope will regain form on a worse team and who is theoretically past his production prime. Kings may as well see what they have in Clague instead of trading Clague and a high pick for Ghost. Most of our best prospects are sub-21, Ghost will be in his 30s when we're really competitive again. And I'm not really high on Clague pulling it off and I do really like Ghost, I just think the time frame vs. assets for the Kings is a tough sell.

Ghost would be more a move for a team who is already challenging for the playoffs and looking for finishing touches. We're still reading the blueprints.
Flyers were rebuilding team... partially still are... we have a lot of young players on the team or ready to break in. Guess what we did.. we went for Niskanen and Braun do you know why? I bet you do.
I am not going to try to convince you or anybody else about Gost or his over all skill, and whether he still got it or not. You think he is nothing and or he is one trick pony or whatever it is.. and I am convinced that he is still a good player. Again, Vigneault is a decent coach and he can make things happen. Flyers have Cam York and Zamula, Friedman and many others.. we do not need more prospects.
I hope we go deep in playoffs and I hope Gost is a part of this run.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Flyers were rebuilding team... partially still are... we have a lot of young players on the team or ready to break in. Guess what we did.. we went for Niskanen and Braun do you know why? I bet you do.
I am not going to try to convince you or anybody else about Gost or his over all skill, and whether he still got it or not. You think he nothing and he is one trick pony and I am convinced that he is still a good player. Again, Vigneault is a decent coach and he can make things happen. Flyers have Cam York and Zamula, Friedman and many others.. we do not need more prospects.

It's almost as if the Kings have a bunch of veterans on the roster so they don't need to trade for more?

To the second point, don't put words in my mouth. I'd love ghost on the Kings. Just not at the cost.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
It's almost as if the Kings have a bunch of veterans on the roster so they don't need to trade for more?

To the second point, don't put words in my mouth. I'd love ghost on the Kings. Just not at the cost.
and to your second point.. you got to give to get.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I totally understand that. I'm not saying at all the Flyers should do it. I just don't think the Kings are in a position to give up assets to accelerate the rebuild quite yet. I love the player, think he brings an element from LHD that the Kings don't have, yet I don't think there's a 'fit' there right now. That's all.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
We dont want.Kings are a rebuilding team and at lease two years out or longer from trying to be a serious contender if that.Ghost is to old for this teams long term plans.We've already plenty of veterans on this team.Kings don't need Ghost at that price.Kings need their draft picks to restock the organization youth.Trade Ghost to a contender that could use him.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I totally understand that. I'm not saying at all the Flyers should do it. I just don't think the Kings are in a position to give up assets to accelerate the rebuild quite yet. I love the player, think he brings an element from LHD that the Kings don't have, yet I don't think there's a 'fit' there right now. That's all.
I am with you..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad