Kings fire John Stevens, assistant Don Nachbaur; Desjardins hired as interim

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
My lasting image of Willie D is allowing his team to get bamboozled by Ferland and the Flames in that playoff series a few weeks back and doing nothing to stop it. Literally the dog in the fire and "THIS IS FINE"

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Operative word: interim. All this really means is that the Kings didn't have a guy lined up ready to go...which makes sense when you're going for an organizational shake-up and not promoting from within.

To be fair, Willie doesn't inspire any more confidence than an intern.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't think the Canucks ever really quit on Willie but I've never seen such a blatantly incompetent coach at the NHL level other than maybe Eakins.

Rolled the lines 1-2-3-4 literally every time and cost us a playoff series by doing so, loves his veterans (don't know how maybe Medicine Hat Tiger or Texas Star alumni they have), got a shit ton of too many men penalties and never had any sort of good possession metrics.

There was a season where Derek Dorsett led our team in TOI while trailing.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I don't think you quite understand how bad Desjardins is

you mean there's a 32nd spot in rankings? i didn't know...

they hired Desjardins as an interim coach

we are currently dead last, to me the sense is that they prefer to keep it that way and retool properly with a potential top 5 pick, there's literally no risk, they haven't signed Desjardins to a five year deal

i don't think you quite understand what this deal entails

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
looks like the tank is confirmed

Possible.

1- Hire the worst coach possible
2- Put an interim tag on him so people know he's not your guy and your GM job isn't on the line
3- Embrace the tank

Only problem is the team is filled with old guys that won't get better and are still on long contracts, so tanking isn't very smart.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lol love it. Willie D of all people, hope the Kings keep getting steam rolled.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
you mean there's a 32nd spot in rankings? i didn't know...

they hired Desjardins as an interim coach

we are currently dead last, to me the sense is that they prefer to keep it that way and retool properly with a potential top 5 pick, there's literally no risk, they haven't signed Desjardins to a five year deal

i don't think you quite understand what this deal entails

I just wouldn't want Willie anywhere near my organization as a fan. It has already been reported that if he has decent results that the interim tag will be lifted. Not here to piss LA fans off. I just witnessed how bad Desjardins is as a coach and even as an interim I'd much rather someone else. Guy is so painful

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
How do all these GMs keep their jobs?? Unbelievable.
I guess it depends on who's in the conversations. If the owner, the coach and the GM sit down and the coach says this is the style I want to play and these are the guys I need, and then he cant get what he promised, then I guess it's on the coach. If the GM agreed and it was a bad plan, he goes too. Unfortunately you can't fire the owner.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I just wouldn't want Willie anywhere near my organization as a fan. It has already been reported that if he has decent results that the interim tag will be lifted. Not here to piss LA fans off. I just witnessed how bad Desjardins is as a coach and even as an interim I'd much rather someone else. Guy is so painful

thanks for your warnings, we had John Stevens so i get how bad a coach can be... but to be fair, the roster he was coaching had twin brothers without a spine on their first line... "Violence begets more violence" type of scenario, terrible coach for a terrible team

But if he gets good results that means his terrible coaching will have positive results on the team? at that point i'd sign him too lol... the whole point of the league is to have positive results, it's kind of weird what you are saying. However, judging by your knowledge of the guy, we shouldn't worry... he will continue producing terrible results

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad