Kings departing am radio, creating la kings audio network on iheart radio

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
There’s a lengthy press release below, but the gist of it: the LA Kings have partnered with I Heart Radio to create the LA Kings Audio Network, a station that will stream Kings games and content on the iHeart Radio app in lieu of a terrestrial AM radio station. A number of Kings games will still be available on SiriusXM, and the first two pre-season Staples Center home games – tonight versus Arizona and Thursday versus Vegas – can be heard on The Patriot 1150. All games may also be streamed over the NHL’s app. Foster Hewitt Award winner Nick Nickson will return for his 38th season as the Kings’ radio play-by-play broadcaster and will again be joined by Daryl Evans, who will return for his 20th season as the Kings’ color analyst on radio.
This may require a switch of some listening habits for many who rely on AM radio to listen to Kings games, especially in the car, or in areas with spotty LTE or 3G/4G coverage. Details on how to access the app and bookmark the LA Kings Audio Network are below.

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Kings and iHeartMedia Los Angeles announced today that as part of a new and innovative digital partnership, all Kings games – including preseason, regular season and postseason contests – will now stream live on the new official LA Kings Audio Network, a custom station available on iHeartRadio, iHeartMedia’s all-in-one digital music, podcast, on demand and live streaming radio service.
Beginning with tonight’s Kings-Arizona Coyotes preseason game at STAPLES Center, the coverage on iHeartRadio will also include the broadcast’s 30-minute pregame show. Additionally, iHeartRadio will feature Kings Talk, the club’s popular call-in radio show, which will stream live after most regular season and postseason home games inside the Impact Sports Bar & Grill inside STAPLES Center.
Tonight’s game, which begins at 7:30 p.m., and the Kings-Vegas preseason game on Thursday, September 20, will feature a special simultaneous broadcast on the LA Kings Audio Network as well as on The Patriot AM 1150.
The LA Kings Audio Network will also be the only place to hear the additional online Kings content plus replays of each game, and as part of the agreement, iHeartRadio will feature exclusive Kings audio content for listeners.
Said Kings President and Hockey Hall of Famer Luc Robitaille: “Our streams will continue to not only serve our fans in a traditional sense but the LA Kings Audio Network will also feature additional content that our fans will enjoy listening to. With iHeartRadio’s incredible audience reach, this is indeed a special day in the broadcast history of our hockey club. We are looking forward to all the new opportunities iHeartMedia helps to provide and we look forward to working closely with our new partners who not only share our vision but will play a key role in implementing our vision.”
Kings departing AM radio, creating LA Kings Audio Network on iHeart Radio - LA Kings Insider

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Yeah, but can they stream all the preseason games like all the other 30 teams do on a regular basis?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
On the one hand, I feel for Kings fans who can't listen to the radio.

On the other hand, a dedicated channel to the Kings means you can listen exclusively to archived Kings footage even when the games not on.

Right now the 50 greatest moments is being played. Bob Miller's voice is heard in the archives. It brightened my day.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I am a Verizon customer and I think that some radio streaming services don't count against your data. I believe Iheart is one of those services. I was having to use Iheart for KABC last year because I live near Palm Springs and there weren't any affiliates out here.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
iheartradio is 128 so you are looking at 60MB per hour, maybe 150-ishMB for a full game.

I have T-mobile which has unlimited music so I stream all the time. I know Boost and Metro have that too. Not sure about the other carriers, Verizon didn't have that when I was with them.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Pretty much this. Being in the car is pretty much the only reason to be listening to a game on radio because that's your only option.

Just think though, now you'll be able to listed to the game in your car....ANYWHERE! AND, in HD radio. Not a bad trade-off.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Isn't it a streaming service? Most people these days don't have unlimited data.
Yes, I believe it is a streaming service. I have unlimited data on my plan. If you don't it would definitely matter.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
iheartradio is 128 so you are looking at 60MB per hour, maybe 150-ishMB for a full game.

I have T-mobile which has unlimited music so I stream all the time. I know Boost and Metro have that too. Not sure about the other carriers, Verizon didn't have that when I was with them.

Thanks for the data estimation, that isn’t too bad but I’ll have to monitor it. I unfortunately have Verizon.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Last night iHeart was a full minute plus behind the live action. Bloggers, twitter feeds and NHL alerts were posting goals well ahead of the radio play by play.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That's one thing I always hated about iHeartRadio's feed, which I've been using for the past couple of seasons to listen to whenever I'm driving or at the gym, the delayed feed that is well behind the play.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Last night iHeart was a full minute plus behind the live action. Bloggers, twitter feeds and NHL alerts were posting goals well ahead of the radio play by play.

I think it also depends on what device you are streaming from. Last night I was testing both my Bluetooth from my phone and my smart TV....the stream from the phone was much more delayed than the tv.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I for one as an overseas Kings fan appreciate the death of AM radio. AM radio is so outdated it discriminates against anyone not directly present in the region. (And I haven't yet visited America, let alone California or LA.) I suppose I'll be able to tune in to the Kings network via IHeartRadio, and that's great. (Sorry about those for whom this is an inconvenience.)

Similarly, us overseas NHL fans are discriminated against in having no access to NHL Network, despite my being a paying NHL.tv subscriber for years. That sucks! :thumbd:

To summarize: any and all types of geoblocking are inherently absurd in the 21st century, and AM radio is the epitome of those "previous century" restrictions.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Hosie 24

Apr 21, 2018
That's one thing I always hated about iHeartRadio's feed, which I've been using for the past couple of seasons to listen to whenever I'm driving or at the gym, the delayed feed that is well behind the play.

I Think it was delayed like a minute or more i got my update on my phone before the goal was scored.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
and another fact re this move: fans will have to search out the hockey stream, which means that ZERO potential fans will bump into a hockey game as they scroll thru the dial "hey, what's this hockey all about?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->