Post-Game Talk: Kings @ Caps, 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I am not sold on the Kings..I give them credit they deserved the win but we walked in their zone all night..and the last 10 mins of the 3rd..not sure what we were doing, especially with personell..Trotz rolling 4 lines like he had not a care in the world. Kings had won 3 out the last 10 coming into this game..

When you have a number one center, number one Dman, and a number one goalie you are legit. Quick was hurt all of last year and Kopitar probably was as well.

I def agree with the bolded. I was actually going to post about this as I was kinda shaking my head during the game. I mean if this was the first or second of the back to backs I can see it, but tonight?

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
****ing tired of those lucky bounces for the opponents. It was the case in the game against Tampa, Toronto and now.
And on the other side, we can't have a bounce, a weird deflection in our favor.

edit: wonderful game by Kuzya.
He has 28 points in 26 games, and haters will still criticize his contract?

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
****ing tired of those lucky bounces for the opponents. It was the case in the game against Tampa, Toronto and now.

26 games out of 656 possible. Let's give it time before boasting. When I see a complete year, a good regular and postseason, I'll be more comfortable with the commitment. Things are looking up that's for sure.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007

That's because other teams shoot the puck from everywhere and we wait for the perfect scoring chance to shoot. Eller and Oshie had multiple opportunities from the high slot to shoot and passed instead. We aren't that highly skilled a team anymore and can't afford to pass those opportunities up.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That's because other teams shoot the puck from everywhere and we wait for the perfect scoring chance to shoot. Eller and Oshie had multiple opportunities from the high slot to shoot and passed instead. We aren't that highly skilled a team anymore and can't afford to pass those opportunities up.
I agree that both Eller and Oshie passed up some good chances. I felt this game against the Kings was a pretty even game. We may even outplayed them. The Kings just happened to Capitalize on some of our mistakes. Holtby wasn't at his best. This game could have gone our way

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
2nd game in a row that Backstrom had zero shots. No goals, 4 assists in last 5 games. I don't know if he's injured, worn down, or just in a funk, but this team needs him to start creatng more offense, 3 goals and 16 assists so far, isn't helping. And at some point, I'd like to think that BMac recognizes the lack of offense on this team, relying on the same 3-4 guys game after game to contribute won't get this team far, and crossing fingers that the bottom 6 emerges is futile.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Bottom 6 was a trainwreck again. Burakovsky should help but it's apparent that they need an upgrade pretty badly. Connolly should 100% be back in the lineup or traded, the current situation is untenable.

Also give Djoos more minutes. He's been a great defensive option thus far, especially alongside Carlson.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Maybe it's because he's playing lesser minutes that he's that good

Maybe, but the same arguments were made with Orlov and Schmidt and oddly enough they were able to be just as good with more minutes.

The only way to find out is to give Djoos a chance with second pairing minutes. Not like the 44-74 pairing is doing well, so what else is there to lose?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe Backstrom is just going the way of the Sedins? He can reference hockey IQ all he wants but the game has changed. If you can't back defenders off it's incredibly difficult to create, esp. if you're also not really grinding/puck protecting.
Bottom 6 was a trainwreck again.
It doesn't help that one of the four fourth-line 5-on-5 goals was waived. Or that for some reason Graovac is on the third line and Stephenson has to play with two boat anchors. Ridiculous.

I don't trust their instincts enough to conclude they've turned the corner just yet. They've got CBJ, SJS, CHI & NYR at home to finish off the home stand...all very decent challenges. They get their chances but they've got to both bear down more when they get them and better prioritize interior opportunities (for & against). It was a predictably too easy game from them after the time off.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Maybe Backstrom is just going the way of the Sedins? He can reference hockey IQ all he wants but the game has changed. If you can't back defenders off it's incredibly difficult to create, esp. if you're also not really grinding/puck protecting.

Eh I don't really agree with this. Backstrom is struggling for sure but his speed hasn't deteriorated much if at all since last season (it's never been a strength) and he was great last season.

He's going through a funk that we're not accustomed to seeing but his underlying numbers are still relatively strong. Even superstars like Crosby have gone through this (under Mike Johnston, of course). Something needs to change but it I don't think it's the beginning of the end. Speed is great but there are plenty of slower guys who can still be incredibly productive even in the new NHL, Tavares comes to mind immediately, Bergeron as well, and Thornton a few years ago.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Random thoughts watching last night: Beagle has been terrible. Not sure what's up with him but he's provided nothing offensively and is a liability in the defensive zone. I know he has a high FO% but it seems like he always loses draws in the defensive zone. The Graovic experiment should be over. Stephenson should be on the third line. Oshie needs to shoot the puck. Djoos needs more minutes and Orpik needs less. Bowey's hockey IQ is not high.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Eh I don't really agree with this. Backstrom is struggling for sure but his speed hasn't deteriorated much if at all since last season (it's never been a strength) and he was great last season.

He's going through a funk that we're not accustomed to seeing but his underlying numbers are still relatively strong. Even superstars like Crosby have gone through this (under Mike Johnston, of course). Something needs to change but it I don't think it's the beginning of the end. Speed is great but there are plenty of slower guys who can still be incredibly productive even in the new NHL, Tavares comes to mind immediately, Bergeron as well, and Thornton a few years ago.
Yeah but those slower guys protect the puck really well and are able to create off of it. Backstrom can still do that but he doesn't create off of puck protection and forechecking nearly as much as he used to. His role has changed at times but the game isn't getting any slower. I don't see him dropping off altogether to a 40-50 point guy but he needs to find ways to have more routine offensive impact 5-on-5. Trotz hasn't been worried and tends to support him due to his all-around game but patience isn't the solution. Urgency and determination are more important than a baseline belief in the inherent inevitability of success based on consistent low-level buy-in. But that's Trotz's MO. (An easy tie-in rant but this game was indeed very predictable. Their whole cycle of urgency to complacency and back and forth is made much more stark by inferior depth. Their adherence to the actual process remains pretty flimsy and almost entirely effort-based.)

Reactions: twabby

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Thought the Caps played about 59:00 of a great game. The minute or so when they were off it was really bad. You're not going to see the mix up between Holtby and whoever and Backstrom miss on a wide open net very often. Sucks to see them work that hard and have it taken away by a potentially missed penalty leading to a break away and a dumb luck deflection. Did they ever show a center ice replay before Gaborik's goal? Carlson is fairly clam on the ice so it does make me wonder about the play if he is getting worked up.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah but those slower guys protect the puck really well and are able to create off of it. Backstrom can still do that but he doesn't create off of puck protection and forechecking nearly as much as he used to. His role has changed at times but the game isn't getting any slower. I don't see him dropping off altogether to a 40-50 point guy but he needs to find ways to have more routine offensive impact 5-on-5. Trotz hasn't been worried and tends to support him due to his all-around game but patience isn't the solution. Urgency and determination are more important than a baseline belief in the inherent inevitability of success based on consistent low-level buy-in. But that's Trotz's MO. (An easy tie-in rant but this game was indeed very predictable. Their whole cycle of urgency to complacency and back and forth is made much more stark by inferior depth. Their adherence to the actual process remains pretty flimsy and almost entirely effort-based.)

Pretty much agree with this post (you're not going to get an argument from me regarding Trotz being a negative impact on pushing players to be better offensively), but I think a lot of Backstrom's struggles are probably correctable unlike the Sedins who are just in the twilight of their careers and simply don't have it in them physically to be highly effective players any more.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you're not seeing a dropoff in Backstrom's wheels, not sure what you're watching. He looks like he aged 5 years over the summer.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’m not seeing him as much slower, but his hands/passing/playmaking in general have seen a big drop off. I could be wrong about his speed/quickness, I just haven’t noticed it.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I haven't noticed 19 being any slower this year, but his vision and playmaking haven't been up to his usual standards.

FWIW I was pleasantly surprised by the team effort last night. They looked good. If Nicky doesn't wiff on that tap in they at least get to OT. Ovie looked good. Kuzy was electric. They carried the play for the majority of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad