Post-Game Talk: Kings @ Caps, 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I thought we were the better team that period, but 12 terrible seconds (I added 3 for the 2 on 1 shorthanded that should've been a goal) and here we are.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
In order to blame Orpik there you have to want your d-men to drop back to their own defensive blueline and stay there regardless of what's happening in front of them. Eller turned the puck over unexpectedly while Gaborik had already snuck back behind Orpik to cherrypick. Carlson has to either call it out to Orpik or cover himself. He did nothing and was caught flat footed.
According to Alan May, Carlson was tripped up behind the play which was why he was late getting back. Didn't see that. In my opinion that goal is still on Orpik.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
According to Alan May, Carlson was tripped up behind the play which was why he was late getting back. Didn't see that. In my opinion that goal is still on Orpik.

Who tripped him? There was nobody near him. He was involved in the zone entry and hung back. Gaborik just blew by the both of them on a cherrypicking mission.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well Stephenson and DSP are -5 together, but I have no idea what line DSP is on. Beagle is -2 so maybe someone got caught out on a change?
Its Beagles line. Unfortunately for Stephenson he is playing LW on that line. Smith pelly was on the 3rd line but was on with the 4th line for those last 2 goals. BTW Stephenson wasnt responsible for either goal.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Who tripped him? There was nobody near him. He was involved in the zone entry and hung back. Gaborik just blew by the both of them on a cherrypicking mission.
I didn't see it. Even watching the replay I saw nothing

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Its Beagles line. Unfortunately for Stephenson he is playing LW on that line. Smith pelly was on the 3rd line but was on with the 4th line for those last 2 goals. BTW Stephenson wasnt responsible for either goal.

Ah, thanks, I'm watching two games at once.

Well now that 4th line needs to chip a goal here to make up for garbage play. Although that first goal was a fluke.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We are pointing the finger at the dmen for that goal even though the problem started when Eller turned the puck over just inside the blue line

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We are pointing the finger at the dmen for that goal even though the problem started when Eller turned the puck over just inside the blue line

Yes because your defensemen can't let players behind them like that, whereas Eller just lost a puck battle in a crowd.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
In order to blame Orpik there you have to want your d-men to drop back to their own defensive blueline and stay there regardless of what's happening in front of them.

Or, you know, just keep track of where opposing players are. Especially if you can see only four in front of you, and you are, in theory, last man back.

Whatever.

Tonight there are plenty of mistakes to go around. 44 hardly the only problem.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Or, you know, just keep track of where opposing players are. Especially if you can see only four in front of you, and you are, in theory, last man back.

Whatever.

Tonight there are plenty of mistakes to go around. 44 hardly the only problem.

Again, then you're asking your d-men to fall back any time an opponent exits the zone, even if the play is right in front of them, and then you have to pick which one. Gaborik came from Carlson's side and skated right by him. Orpik couldn't see him because the play was right in front of him. The puck came out quickly after the Kings got it. The only person on the ice other than Gaborik who saw Gaborik breaking was Carlson. Carlson has to say or do something there but it looked like he just brainfarted until the last second but by then it was too late and he stumbled over his own skates.

My point is you can't just blame Orpik on that play. It was probably a team failure and who was "more to blame" depends on how they're supposed to handle cutters and keep ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->