Confirmed with Link: Kings Buyout Phaneuf

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Why exactly is that? Seems more like they want to replace him with a better player in the hopes of being better.

Still don't understand this move. They're gonna be bad without him, they could have just held onto him and still been bad too.

Hopefully this is about changing the culture on the team. Phaneuf was part of the fat cat culture that was all too willing to accept losing.

Not having Phaneuf is actually worth 6-10 points of improvement in the standings.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Hopefully this is about changing the culture on the team. Phaneuf was part of the fat cat culture that was all too willing to accept losing.

Not having Phaneuf is actually worth 6-10 points of improvement in the standings.

That's alot of points for one player. I think people overstate when they make comments like this, kind of like the ludicrous opinions from a certain hometown discount believer that Milan Lucic was worth 16 points in the standings his season with the Kings (it's true, check it out). Phaneuf's spot probably goes to a fringe NHL'er like Walker or Roy, unless they take a drastic step they are probably worth 1-2 points over a full season. Which is actually alot in itself for a #6 d-man.

Reactions: Piston

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
That's alot of points for one player. I think people overstate when they make comments like this, kind of like the ludicrous opinions from a certain hometown discount believer that Milan Lucic was worth 16 points in the standings his season with the Kings (it's true, check it out). Phaneuf's spot probably goes to a fringe NHL'er like Walker or Roy, unless they take a drastic step they are probably worth 1-2 points over a full season. Which is actually alot in itself for a #6 d-man.

2018-19 Kings

with Phaneuf in lineup 23-38-6
w/o Phaneuf in lineup 8-4-3

Coincidence? You decide. I might be conservative.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
2018-19 Kings

with Phaneuf in lineup 23-38-6
w/o Phaneuf in lineup 8-4-3

Coincidence? You decide. I might be conservative.

To small a sample size. For reference the LA Angels were better without Mike Trout last year than they were with him.

I'm not saying Phaneuf doesn't suck, he was absolutely the worst player I've seen in the d-zone since Richards and if they replaced him with a top pair or even 2nd pairing defenseman it could creep closer to that number. But being replaced by a replacement level player probably only gets you 1-3 points over a full season. Which is still a massive indictment on Phaneuf, a guy making that much money being worse than replacement level.

Whole point is, people overstate how much of a difference one guy can make. 6-10 is a ton of points.

Reactions: YP44

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
To small a sample size. For reference the LA Angels were better without Mike Trout last year than they were with him.

I'm not saying Phaneuf doesn't suck, he was absolutely the worst player I've seen in the d-zone since Richards and if they replaced him with a top pair or even 2nd pairing defenseman it could creep closer to that number. But being replaced by a replacement level player probably only gets you 1-3 points over a full season. Which is still a massive indictment on Phaneuf, a guy making that much money being worse than replacement level.

Whole point is, people overstate how much of a difference one guy can make. 6-10 is a ton of points.

We'll see and we don't know who replaces him yet.

On a strictly visual basis, the Kings were a noticeably better team when Phaneuf wasn't in the lineup...it didn't matter who replaced him. Phaneuf (as you mentioned) was a disaster in all three zones. He was slow, he got trapped all the time, he couldn't move the puck, he couldn't defend...and all those things had a cascading effect on every other player on the ice with him. The sample size may be small but it is dramatically different. I don't think it is a stretch at all to say that Phaneuf alone cost them the equivalent of 3-5 games last year.

This is very bad news for the tank crew.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Honestly Walker is an ok puck rusher. Roy is my sleeper for becoming a regular.

Lots of competition for D in camp.

Anderson, Clague, “Byram” ;)

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Honestly Walker is an ok puck rusher. Roy is my sleeper for becoming a regular.

Lots of competition for D in camp.

Anderson, Clague, “Byram” ;)

Exactly!

Don't count out Brickley either. There's 3 LHD whose chances to make the team just improved...Byram makes 4!

Reactions: LAKings88

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
There have been plenty of complaints on this board about the mindset of the group and the team having no identity. Keeping an ageing vet, who will rarely play makes no sense especially one with a big personality. It would be impossible for him to not have influence on the room, that’s no criticism but when trying to build a new identity you can’t have a big influencer being a regular healthy scratch. It would be incredibly detrimental.

This is little to do with the Cap, it’s about the roster spot and having the players around that you want to form part of the new group and new identity.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Possible defensemen for 2019:

Doughty
Martinez
Forbort
Walker
LaDue
Roy
Brickley
MacDermid
Clague
Anderson
Durzi
Phillips

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Guy has a lot of pride, I know he'll sign a one year or at least a PTO somewhere. His play cratered hard this year. he went from very good in a role to total garbage seemingly overnight. Or maybe he was already well on his way to garbage, but got the 'new team' boost, because he did everything relatively well last year but skate.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Drew and Kopi be like "Awe **** no"

giphy.gif

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You don't really think they care about winning?

Pretty sure Kopi wants to add one more Cup and this time as a captain. His legacy as a King has been dented a bit because of the team's failures since becoming the Captain. He should be hungry for redemption.

To some extent, I would imagine they care. They are professionals. They can't want to completely waste their time on the ice. They both willingly locked themselves into contracts that they have to know makes them essentially untradeable though, even without the trade protection. With the 2 in their pockets, and the retirement contracts, should the team not contend for 3-4 more years, at some point you have to accept your fate. It's a hard cap league. Can't really go to management in a huff and demand they bring in more talent.

Even this year, we don't know that they didn't, but we don't know that they did go to Blake and tell him that the practices suck. It seems like whatever leadership is on the team, accepted how bad they would be, from very early on. I don't know if any leaders have ever done something like that, so it might not be fair to use that as an example of what we're talking about. However, it has been something I've wondered about. Practice has nothing to do with the reality of the cap. I guess telling teacher that practices suck undermines the head coach, but they've already done that to at least 3 guys, so whatever.

I don't know what it's like to be paid a guaranteed $10m a year to do something. I also don't know what it's like to even have a chance to earn a non-guaranteed $10m to do something. We have seen Kopitar and Doughty break a lot of sticks over the net the last few years. We've seen them beaten down by having to play a lot, and also not winning important games, and then whatever the 18-19 season was. They must care, because they wouldn't be where they are without that drive. They also have a lot of money coming to them whether they win or lose, or put up points, or whatever else. I was mostly just messing around with the gif, but since you asked...

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Even though I don’t mind this move the Kings get softer again on D. Losing RR, Mitchell and Greene over the years.

There is really no size or toughness on the backend except MacD. I realize the league has changed now but having a bunch of 6’ players back there isn’t really going to help intimidate teams like Vegas l, Sharks, Ducks and Blues.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Even though I don’t mind this move the Kings get softer again on D. Losing RR, Mitchell and Greene over the years.

There is really no size or toughness on the backend except MacD. I realize the league has changed now but having a bunch of 6’ players back there isn’t really going to help intimidate teams like Vegas l, Sharks, Ducks and Blues.

Size wise it’s down to Dan Brickley.... he has a primo chance to seize his opportunity... hope the guy steps up

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

The only thing tough about Phaneuf was watching him play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad