Kings-Avalanche least-watched NHL outdoor game on NBC ever

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Heritage Classic is every other year. I'd like to see a US team as the visitor one year. There's been Canadian teams in the Winter Classic.
I don't disagree that American teams should play in a Heritage Classic, however there are some things you are forgetting.

The first Heritage Classic was in 2003, the Winter Classic started in 2008 and it became very popular. I remember the talk was how it was only supposed to be for American based teams and the Heritage Classic was brought back in 2011 to say here is an outdoor game for the Canadian based teams.

So even though NBC let Toronto play in the 2014 Winter Classic against Detroit, they still did not allow them to host the 2017 Winter Classic which is what the NHL had wanted to see happen.

However there had been a precedent set of giving the Winter Classic to teams who first played in it as the road team. So Toronto fit into that category and that's where the idea for them hosting the Centennial Classic was born.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One thing that doesn't help the stadium series, ugly Walmart jerseys. Why do these teams need to wear uglier uniforms just because the event is taking place outdoors?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
That's too bad, it was a really good game and a great production.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This was destined to be the worst as soon as they made the foolish decision to pick the Kings. Everyone knew they were rebuilding, and there's zero meaningful history between the two teams.

The only meaningful history between the two is a cool 2001 playoff series and Rob Blake hey wait a minute

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This was destined to be the worst as soon as they made the foolish decision to pick the Kings. Everyone knew they were rebuilding, and there's zero meaningful history between the two teams.

Tend to agree with this.

A division rival such as St. Louis or Minnesota would probably have caught some better TV numbers.

I left Dallas out of it because they were already in one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad