Confirmed with Link: Kings announce signing kovalchuk to 3 year contract.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Just trade Muzzin (too many LD anyway), trade Lewis ($2 million a year?!), and trade Reider (owed $2.5 million? WHAT?!). That's $8.5 million right there. Then there are the contracts for Clifford & Thompson to consider. TAVARES or BUST!!!!!!!!

Reider is being paid $0 next season. He is UFA or a RFA if the Kings extend a qualifying offer.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Having processed todays news to an extent, it's refreshing to think about the lineup and not think "Vilardi has to have a Calder nominee-type season for them to have a chance". Now he (Vilardi) and Iafallo will be playing a 3rd line role if things go according to plan.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
But the thing is, Kovy doesn't have to play "lights out" for this to work. An infusion of 20-30 goals to this roster without losing any and making our PP that much deadlier is enough for me. Still a lot of questions marks but the team is better after the signing. Who cares about the $$??

Reactions: Firsov99

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I'm ok with this. The reality is, this move could easily turn out to be a disaster, but Blake had no choice, they weren't winning a Stanley Cup with the wings they currently had.

Once again it all goes back to the disastrous moves and criminal mismanagement from 2014-2017, the Kings didn't have a Barzal, Connor or even a DeBrusk type player that could provide secondary scoring on an ELC, they didn't have enough prospects to justify trading for someone like Pacioretty but they still are trying to win a Stanley Cup and this move was probably the best chance.

I still don't think a lot of the fanbase realizes what a total disaster Blake inherited, I think all things being considered he has done a nice job.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I think it's embarrassing for the NHL that $6 million AAV is still considered a big contract by some people. It's 2018! $6 million a year was superstar money in the other 3 leagues......20+ years ago! The NHL owners and NHLPA need to do something about their money. It looks like it will take a while before we have an NHL player making $20 million a year.
The NFL, NBA And MLB don’t have to resort to making a tv deal with the Outdoor Life Network.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Who is that quote from exactly? .

Luc.

Watch that NHLN interview he did if you haven’t, John. He’s incredibly high on Kovy. From his strength and intensity, motor, willingness to be our “shooter.” Luc was gushing. I mean, I wouldn’t expect less, but they’re stoked and think he can deliver on the PP ala Ovechkin.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Given the fewer games per season in the KHL kovy is close to 33 in hockey mileage. :) . Don't follow KH L closely but I just don't imagine it being as physical as the NHL.

All I know is I am more excited about the start of the season, can't wait to see what a true first line winger looks like. It's been a long time since the Kings had what would be considered a sniper.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I did some stat digging, and I’m officially, cautiously optimistic about Kovalchuk.

Panarin, Jagr, and Radulov all experienced roughly a 10-15% stat decrease from the KHL to the NHL.

If Kovalchuk follows the same route, he should put up approx 30-30-60 over a full season, which would be massive. Absolutely massive for this team.

Panarin and Kovalchuk were teammates in 14/15, and had nearly identical stat lines. Panarin went to the NHL and immediately became a top forward in the league.

But that was three years ago, right? What about Kovalchuk now?

Well, he just had his statistically best KHL years back to back in 16/17 and 17/18, scoring at well over PPG.

Kovalchuk is still talented as hell. If he is dressed, he will be putting up numbers. Period.

The only thing that worries me is his health, straight up. The KHL is not as physical of a league as the NHL, and they don’t play as many games. That means Kovalchuk is in for an adjustment period in the NHL. It also means he doesn’t have as much raw game mileage on him.

Tl;dr, if Kovalchuk can stay healthy and play 70+ games, it’s very statistically likely he will post impressive numbers for us.

On to Voynov:

I said from day one that a conjoined Voynov/Kovalchuk signing made sense considering their recent history and our recent needs. I never thought in a million years Kovalchuk would actually sign with us, though. Now that he has, I’m convinced Voynov will be returning, too.

You can likely get Voynov on a very short, low AAV “prove it” penance deal given his legal troubles. $2 million AAV.

So with another legitimate top four defenseman in the mix, Muzzin/Martinez are definitely expendable, as is Phaneuf (if someone will take him).

You may be able to nab a guy like Skinner for a Muzzin package that doesn’t include Vilardi. If so, and if Voynov is indeed returning, are the Kings really not done?

Imagine if Rob Blake that mad lad actually signs Ilya Kovalchuk, re-signs Slava Voynov, and swings a deal for Jeff Skinner AND holds on to Gabe Vilardi while doing it?

I want to live in that timeline.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I think it's embarrassing for the NHL that $6 million AAV is still considered a big contract by some people. It's 2018! $6 million a year was superstar money in the other 3 leagues......20+ years ago! The NHL owners and NHLPA need to do something about their money. It looks like it will take a while before we have an NHL player making $20 million a year.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He has a Ovi like one timer. Teams will have to be aware of him. Hopefully it opens up space out there. I still feel like the PP was a huge let down last year.
Yeah I get the appeal, but looking at his history he's never really made a PP good.

I think just about every fanbase is let down by their PP. King's PP was just average.

Reactions: King Trouty
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Kovy will also make it easier for Kopitar and Brown to increase their production. The D will focus on Kovalchuk first because he has flash to his game and can dangle you. Opens up a lane for Kopitar and Brown will be all alone. Can't wait to see these guys play together.

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I remember Kovy toughing it out for multiple rounds in the 2012 playoffs with a seriously injured back. He wants to win bad.

He had his choice of several teams and he chose LA. In his mind if he signed with LA the first time, he would have been a two-time champion living on the beach. LA has no need to make the Gaborik deal. He can show the world that he's a champion, just like Gabby did.

He'll be motivated and our PP will be way better with him and Phaneuf's shots on it.

That’s so hard to say, though. If Kovalchuk is a King in 10/11, do we ever fire Terry Murray a year later? Do we beat the Sharks in 2011? Lombardi still probably goes after Richards, but likely not Carter.

Really tough to say.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The server has been acting like it went on a 2 day bender and has a really bad hangover!

Last 5 minutes -

I'm on Page 5 and click on Page 6 at the bottom of the page, it's takes me to the top of Page 5. It's done it 10+ times in a row. I have to click Page 6 at the top of the page to go to the next page.

I'm getting notifications from yesterday.

I open a thread and it tells me it doesn't exist.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
He has a Ovi like one timer. Teams will have to be aware of him. Hopefully it opens up space out there. I still feel like the PP was a huge let down last year.
On top of that Kovalchuk has better stick-handling and speed than Ovi.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Fantasy projection for Kovalchuk with Kings in 2018-19

Fantasy take on Kovalchuk and his impact on the top of the roster.

My personal take: I think he can score 25-30 goals, the impact on his line mates may be that Kopitar is able to stay at that ~90 point level without having to shoot 17.5% (I just mean more apples), and Brown could be the real beneficiary, because he'll be the 3rd wheel as far as that potential line is concerned, keeping in mind that Kovalchuk has always been a better play maker than he has gotten credit for.

And that doesn't even get into the impact of a healthy Carter and the way it deepens the lineup, maybe Kopitar doesn't have to play 22 minutes a night because Iafallo - Kempe - Vilardi is a potential 3rd line.

Reactions: LAKings88

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Last 5 minutes -

I'm on Page 5 and click on Page 6 at the bottom of the page, it's takes me to the top of Page 5. It's done it 10+ times in a row. I have to click Page 6 at the top of the page to go to the next page.

I haven't even seen a page 6 lol. Also, if you refresh the page, the order of posts rearranges to no specific order in timeline. A post at 8pm is the second post on the page and half way down is a post from 3:30pm. If you keep refreshing, your notifications will change, too, depending on what page you're on. Lol what a mess

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
In 816 NHL games, Kovalchuk had 816 points (417 goals, 399 assists). In the 32 playoff games (28 with the New Jersey Devils and four with the Atlanta Thrashers), he had 27 points (11 goals, 16 assists).

What a gutless player, exhibiting zero character by playing hurt with a busted back and being a point per game producer.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
That’s so hard to say, though. If Kovalchuk is a King in 10/11, do we ever fire Terry Murray a year later? Do we beat the Sharks in 2011? Lombardi still probably goes after Richards, but likely not Carter.

Really tough to say.

I'm saying this is what I think Kovy probably feels. I'm not making statements that predict an alternate future.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
There doesn't seem to be many here, a little bit to my surprise.

I'm trying not to be a stick in the mud. Everyone seems so excited around here with very few talking about the clear lack of character and heart he showed in 2012. Everyone wants to discuss his abilities, for better or worse, but man people have short memories.

Maybe it's for the best, after all. Jeff Carter was considered the most petulant a ******* of all time but he seems to have his head sewed oon straight since arriving in LA.

I would love to be wrong and see Kovy redeem himself and gel with the kings. As far as I'm concerned he needs to play lights out hockey for this to work for me.

when hockey players follow a job that offers more money they lack character and heart, when regular Joe does it its a smart move

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Last 5 minutes -

I can't believe what a disaster this place has been during the last 48 hours. There are months coming up where damn near nothing happens, but they had to screw with the servers during the draft and right before free agency? Idiotic

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Was reading the Ducks board. As one might expect they were less than complimentary about Kovalchuck. Then one poster said it best. For better or worse the Kings did something.

Got to love they are trying to improve. They made the biggest news of the draft days. Sure we can argue about the money or the length of the deal but we can’t complain that they saw a problem and made a move to address it.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Having processed todays news to an extent, it's refreshing to think about the lineup and not think "Vilardi has to have a Calder nominee-type season for them to have a chance". Now he (Vilardi) and Iafallo will be playing a 3rd line role if things go according to plan.
Carter for a full year too.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
Handzus made 4mio 10 years ago...
Kovalchuk is fine.

Now Blake has to show us and make a nice trade... to refresh the roster. Defense needs someone that can pass and Thompson isn't the solution for the 3rd line center role either.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Handzus made 4mio 10 years ago...
Kovalchuk is fine.

Now Blake has to show us and make a nice trade... to refresh the roster. Defense needs someone that can pass and Thompson isn't the solution for the 3rd line center role either.
It's safe to say both Gravel and Folin are gone; and Thompson will be our 4C like Fraser/Stoll.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Last 5 minutes -

giphy.gif

Jun 30, 2006
I kind of view it as an upgrade over gaborik.
Major upgrade.

If Blake can swing a deal for Voynov while trading the extra dmen on the roster for another top 6 player. Our roster will be massively upgraded and I would give Blake an A+ on his performance with his job, I’ve been rough on him but the fact that he’s totally replenished the pipeline while addressing a serious need, should get Blake some accolades this offseason.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was reading the Ducks board. As one might expect they were less than complimentary about Kovalchuck. Then one poster said it best. For better or worse the Kings did something.

Got to love they are trying to improve. They made the biggest news of the draft days. Sure we can argue about the money or the length of the deal but we can’t complain that they saw a problem and made a move to address it.

Absolutely, and as many of us seem to agree, it also signals the organization's direction--they're going to ride these guys till the wheels fall off before a rebuild but without giving up significant assets. Whether you agree or disagree with the philosophy, it's nice to see it take shape. Blake is telling us for better or for worse that he believes this core is still competitive and is going to make moves (and isn't scared to make moves judging by sheer # of transactions since he came aboard, which is really nice, i.e. not afraid to correct 'mistakes' by moving Jokinen, Cammalleri, etc.) that don't cost us our future.

If you're a fan of positivity over the current team, you have to really like that. If you're a fan of a rebuild, you also should really like that, because it means when/if these guys falter/fall off the map, it means the cupboard will already be stocked before trading core members like Carter and Muzzin, and hasten a real rebuild when it's time instead of starting from ground zero with no assets like it would have been after DL was fired. He's done a phenomenal job restocking with players of all ages by signing college kids as well, because you have future projects like Kupari that are super young, and 'kids' like Iafallo who are approaching mid-20s, instead of just having a bunch of uninsulated lottery picks in tough positions to 'save' the team.

I'm good with people disagreeing here but I really like Blake's tenure so far.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
when hockey players follow a job that offers more money they lack character and heart, when regular Joe does it its a smart move
Look. I'm all for celebrating our newest King and having some renewed hope in the team.

But ignoring that he walked out on a signed contract and left the devils twisting in the wind is not something I'm willing to forget. I think how you carry yourself and honoring your agreements is a big part of being a successful person. This is the kind of thing im referring to when I mention character flaws, not points or his performance in the 2012 playoffs.

Bah, nobody seems to care. Whatever.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
What a gutless player, exhibiting zero character by playing hurt with a busted back and being a point per game producer.

DeBoer said that Kovalchuk was playing "well below 100 percent" due to the back injury, according to NHL.com.

"I thought he showed a lot of guts, a lot of character," DeBoer said, according to NJ.com. "He didn't want it to come out. That's a testament to his character."

The Devils' star forward was not interested in using the injury as an excuse for his performance in the Cup finals loss to the Kings.

“It’s doesn’t make any sense to talk about it now,” Kovalchuk said. “It’s all over. It’s a bad excuse. I don’t think one guy on the ice was 100 percent healthy. So, you’ve got to take care of yourself the next couple of months and be ready for next year.”

Ilya Kovalchuk played through back injury in Stanley Cup finals

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Three years...bad idea. Kovalchuk has already proven if things aren't going perfectly for him he will retire.

I am not sure but if he does it this time the Kings are on the hook for the cap hit for the entire 3 years. Sorry, but this is a desperate move.

This pretty much eliminates any thoughts of signing John Tavares.

Signing Tavares was a pipe dream all along. We can’t fit in an 11 mill dollar contract long term. Was hoping for 2 years at 6 mill but will deal with the risk of the third year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->