Confirmed with Link: Kings announce signing kovalchuk to 3 year contract.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I'd say one forward wouldn't have changed the course of that series, but the scores were so low I can't even say that.

Getting to Winnipeg though? Crazy to think just Kovy would have helped that.
We could have gotten to Winnipeg without Kovy but we needed a goalscorer in the Vegas series. One goal here or there and we win a game or two, the whole series changes.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland
The Kings are THE oldest team in the league, and if Blake would have done nothing to show Doughty that he’s committed to build a better team NOW, Drew would not even consider an offer to resign in LA.

Blake had/has 2 options: improve the team via free agency or via trade. Unfortunately the second option implies sacrificing again picks and prospects, which is something we cannot afford AT ALL.
Kovalchuk might be 35, but he’s still one of the best winger in the game, a 2 year contract would have been better, but he fits with this group age wise:’on paper he’s a great option for Kopitar, and for our PP too.

If we check the ages of our core players, the picture is pretty clear:

Kopitar is 31
Quick is 32
Carter is 33
Brown is 34

When Kovalchuk contract will expire, the window of this group will be closed for good anyway, that’s why for no reason Blake has to trade any asset, either picks and prospects. Skinner, Pacioretty & C. have a steep price and I’m glad we didn’t pay it. Besides, in case of an extension they would have wanted more years and money, and they are not difference makers. Better keep Vilardi, Clague and not mortgage our future once again.

This move to me is very simple. Blake will try to go all in in the next couple seasons, and this move shows it. His problem is the legacy left by Lombardi: a pile of shitty contracts to deal with and a depleted farm team.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Everybody got a ten-point infraction and lost their avatars. Must've been a massive heated debate on the mainboard! ;)

Edit -- they're back again. What's worse, this site during high traffic, or the NHL Awards show?

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
IMG_2400.jpg
This site isn't loading right and so many error messages.

IMG_2400.jpg

Reactions: King Trouty

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Ouch.

Kovi will no doubt provide 20g 30a 50p about there, maybe more. But man that three years after 35 years of age stings. If Kovi doesn't produce at least 50 points it will be a disaster signing, Blakes first.

Last edited:

member 88115

Hopefully Kovi has the same effect Ovi had on the Caps vs the Knights to where they had to respect the big shot. I am soo happy Blake kept his 1st and 2nd rounder & picked up the type of players I feel we need that are fast and creative. Not quite the goal scorers but more of get the puck in better scoring positions with quick feet.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I'm glad LA didn't trade assets for what is out there.

If Kovy can produce at the same or better clip than Patches/Skinner Kings win.

Can't wait to see Kovalchuk and Vilardi. Hope they pan out.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I'm glad LA didn't trade assets for what is out there.

If Kovy can produce at the same or better clip than Patches/Skinner Kings win.

Can't wait to see Kovalchuk and Vilardi. Hope they pan out.
Blake probably not done.This team isn't better yet to win by adding Kovi.Need another top 6 fwd or top 4 defensemen to put them in a contender status.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My memories of Kovalchuk are probably six years outdated, but here goes:

- Better passer than most would give him credit for since everybody remembers his shooting ability. If anything, he'll thread a pass when everybody expects him to shoot which'll catch his linemates offguard.
- Little bit cavalier/risky with the puck on the PP. Typically used on his one timer side on top of the circles. Kings will have more weapons than the 2010-13 Devils had, so that'll probably buy him a little more time/space. But it wasn't a coincidence that we yielded the most shorthanded goals.
- To my surprise, he ended up being an effective 2nd line PK option. At age 35, maybe the Kings will limit his minutes but it's probably an option.
- One thing I never did like was that the Devils (and I believe the Thrashers) would play Kovalchuk for the full two minutes of a PP. Just seemed to throw off the rhythm of the lines immediately afterwards.

Personal feelings aside from his "retirement", this is a great add for the Kings. The age isn't ideal, but I won't be shocked to see Kovalchuk pot 35+ next season.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Not to mention XenForo is a HUGE hosting site. This is unacceptable. HF is holding back on better servers/fees with XenForo. My NFL fan site is ran by XenForo, and it's a massive fan site, and never these problems. I thought when HF switched to XenForo, the years of this nonsense would be done with. Apparently not.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
A signed and trade with retention on Skinner yes.But I doubt Blake had a deal with Clague or Vilardi in it.Any mix of Dolan,Muzzin,Toffoli and our first next year no problem.Need the cap anyways.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I remember Kovy toughing it out for multiple rounds in the 2012 playoffs with a seriously injured back. He wants to win bad.

He had his choice of several teams and he chose LA. In his mind if he signed with LA the first time, he would have been a two-time champion living on the beach. LA has no need to make the Gaborik deal. He can show the world that he's a champion, just like Gabby did.

He'll be motivated and our PP will be way better with him and Phaneuf's shots on it.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Come on guys it was just no way Tavares comes here and now it's kovy cost us Tavares lol

Just trade Muzzin (too many LD anyway), trade Lewis ($2 million a year?!), and trade Reider (owed $2.5 million? WHAT?!). That's $8.5 million right there. Then there are the contracts for Clifford & Thompson to consider. TAVARES or BUST!!!!!!!!

Reactions: PuckTenderizingMeat

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
To sign Tavares now would require trading 2 mid range contracts and another one next year. Iafallo, Kempe, Brickley's ELCs expire so money needs to be freed up for them.

The annual cap increase, Greene's BO, and Thompson expiring (replace with $1 million player) is already allocated to Doughty. And even then it might not be enough.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Just trade Muzzin (too many LD anyway), trade Lewis ($2 million a year?!), and trade Reider (owed $2.5 million? WHAT?!). That's $8.5 million right there. Then there are the contracts for Clifford & Thompson to consider. TAVARES or BUST!!!!!!!!

Reider's contract doesn't count to the current total, since he doesn't have a contract. You also need other teams that will take multi-season cap space for nothing. They tend not to do that.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I want him to do well so bad, so that doubters would eat crow later.

There doesn't seem to be many here, a little bit to my surprise.

I'm trying not to be a stick in the mud. Everyone seems so excited around here with very few talking about the clear lack of character and heart he showed in 2012. Everyone wants to discuss his abilities, for better or worse, but man people have short memories.

Maybe it's for the best, after all. Jeff Carter was considered the most petulant a jerkoff of all time but he seems to have his head sewed oon straight since arriving in LA.

I would love to be wrong and see Kovy redeem himself and gel with the kings. As far as I'm concerned he needs to play lights out hockey for this to work for me.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
There doesn't seem to be many here, a little bit to my surprise.

I'm trying not to be a stick in the mud. Everyone seems so excited around here with very few talking about the clear lack of character and heart he showed in 2012. Everyone wants to discuss his abilities, for better or worse, but man people have short memories.

Maybe it's for the best, after all. Jeff Carter was considered the most petulant a ******* of all time but he seems to have his head sewed oon straight since arriving in LA.

I would love to be wrong and see Kovy redeem himself and gel with the kings. As far as I'm concerned he needs to play lights out hockey for this to work for me.
I think that the Kings board has more doubters :)

As far as the lack of character, I think that it's a tough call. He played for a crap franchise for 8 years in a non-hockey town, and then went to the Devils for less money as far as I remember. He always played his heart out for team Russia as well. And then, this one decision to retire from NHL and withdraw from a massive contract overshadows the rest of his career? If we do probe our short term memories, I believe that we should go back deeper into long-term memories also, and then the big picture suddenly doesn't look as tarnished.

I think that he is a fantastic player, and I want him to succeed.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Who is that quote from exactly? That's a pretty stupid way of looking at it honestly. It's unlikely Kovalchuk has much impact on the Kings PP overall and their PP isn't the problem in the first place.
He has a Ovi like one timer. Teams will have to be aware of him. Hopefully it opens up space out there. I still feel like the PP was a huge let down last year.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Has anyone offered any legitimate complaints about Kovalchuk aside from the contract (which is a complete nonfactor right now because he hasn't played a single game) and his age?

Kovalchuk in his NHL prime was a force to be reckoned with, truly one of the best goalscorers on the planet. He was a complete animal during that Devils Cup run, even while playing injured he hustled his ass off, that is not a lazy player. I don't expect that player, but you don't play at that level without being a very smart player.

From all I've heard he's in great shape and is hungry to play. If he wanted to chase the money he could have gotten much longer term/money. I have no problem with him balancing money and opportunity, which LA won.

Kopitar has played with mostly garbage his entire career, no offense to Iafallo, but he belongs nowhere near arguably the top center in the game. I strongly believe Kovalchuk has 30-35 goal potential alongside Kopitar. Both of them together will elevate each other. Kovalchuk has that potential playing alongside a player that's as skilled and elite as Kopitar.

This isn't directed to this board, but I hear a lot of mouth breathers trashing Kovalchuk and I would love nothing more than him ramming a massive slice of humble pie down their f***ing throats. Kovalchuk will impress a lot of people, this is still a very good player.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Kovalchuk wasn’t loafing it in 2012. He was hurting pretty bad by the end of that run.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
At what cost? Vilardi and the 1st? 1st and JAD, 1st and Clague? 1st and Toffoli?

What cost

Exactly. You start with all of the above and keep adding just to get a year before he wants to test the market. Where have I heard this story before? If Blake has learned anything, you don't trade futures for a 1 year deals.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Luc.

Watch that NHLN interview he did if you haven’t, John. He’s incredibly high on Kovy. From his strength and intensity, motor, willingness to be our “shooter.” Luc was gushing. I mean, I wouldn’t expect less, but they’re stoked and think he can deliver on the PP ala Ovechkin.

Luc also said while laughing that he's still pissed Tom Glavine was drafted before him , even though he told the Kings he wasn't playing in the NHL anywhere. How dumb were they just to waste a pick on Glavine?:laugh:

"Glavine was drafted by both the Los Angeles Kings in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft (in the 4th round, 69th overall—two rounds ahead of future National Hockey League star Brett Hull and five rounds ahead of Luc Robitaille"

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I think where this works the most is that this is a player that fits what this team needs.

We.
Need.
Scoring!

It's been a broken record the past decade. Quick has had to bail this team out so much that it just expected now.

Kovalchuk is still that exciting player with canon of a shot and makes things happen offensively.

Our powerplay has been abysmal ever since Jamie Kompon reigned over it. Visioning Kopitar on the right half wall dancing with the puck while eyeing for the seem to open, Kovalchuk on the left waiting to blast a one-timer, and Doughty at the point working his magic, it's hard not to imagine our power play not improving.

More importantly, we didn't mortgage the future for a player like Pacioretty. Our core is already aging and we need to have reserves in the tank once their window is officially closed. If that window has already closed, like some of you seem to want to predict, we should be sellers like Montreal and NY, but I don't think this team has crossed that bridge just yet.

Reactions: DryIslandBartender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->