kings: alzner or kane?

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Well I agree with that....but when you are talking a top-5 pick would you be happy draftting the next Aaron Miller when the next Kariya or Frolov is still available?
Problem is you are putting way to high of expectations for the forwards and opposite for Alzner. The next Aaron Miller you mean Wade Redden or Kariya. Also between the two I'll take Redden

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
David Legwand
Patrick Stefan
Pavel Brindl
Raffi Torres
Alexandr Svitov
Stephen Weiss
Stanislav Chistov
Andrew Ladd
Blake Wheeler

I'd take some of those "bust" d-men over these guys. On what do you base them being busts anyway? Point production? You know what defensemen are supposed to do on the ice, right? Vishnevsky for example is far from a bust in my opinion... Maybe not worth a top 5 pick, but not all of those forwards are either. Some of them aren't even worth a 5th round pick...

Besides, d-men generally develope late. Like 25+. The Phaneufs are quite rare. And why only count top 5? So some teams made bad choices. Hamhuis was drafted 12th overall, Robyn Regehr 19th overall and I would definitely take them over any of these guys. Phaneuf was 9th overall and I'd take him over some of the bolded guys even.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I'd take some of those "bust" d-men over these guys. On what do you base them being busts anyway? Point production? You know what defensemen are supposed to do on the ice, right? Vishnevsky for example is far from a bust in my opinion... Maybe not worth a top 5 pick, but not all of those forwards are either. Some of them aren't even worth a 5th round pick...

Besides, d-men generally develope late. Like 25+. The Phaneufs are quite rare. And why only count top 5? So some teams made bad choices. Hamhuis was drafted 12th overall, Robyn Regehr 19th overall and I would definitely take them over any of these guys. Phaneuf was 9th overall and I'd take him over some of the bolded guys even.
Well we are talking about top 5 picks because the question is if it is worth taking Alzner in top 5 or bigger yet at #2. I would like the pick, but that is what Squidward is arguing. That top 5 picked defenders are not as good/valued as much as top 5 forward picks. Correct me if I am wrong Squid.

bullsville

May 13, 2006
If i were the GM of the Kings i would pick Kane,Alzner is good but Kane will be special

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
its a tough choice...

tukonen, o'sullivan, b.boyle, parse, puskarev are a young group of forwards that should start getting opportunities to stay with the kings-i don't know if any of them will be game breakers though. cliche is another good prospect to add to the list as defensive forward. i'm an offensive guy first and i side more with the school of thought that says a good offense leads to good defense. if your team has the puck most of the time then the other team is not going to get scoring opportunities.

watching the kings this year i believe they are in dire need of speed. aside from kopitar and cammy we are rarely capable of rushing the puck into the offensive zone which creates alot of dump and chase hockey. i miss the old days with gretz and to a lesser degree with palffy(thank the Lord for kopitar) when a kings rush was actually exciting.

b.stuart is more then likely going to be a king next year..possibly even souray. jmfj hopefully will come to LA as well. blake and lubo will be back. (i think norstrom will be dealt) our defense is thin in the system with stud prospects but i don't think it can't wait until later rounds or even the 08 draft to sure it up. will the kings be drafting this low again or will they have another chance to grab a guy of alzner's caliber? its hard to say. that's what makes it a tough decision.

if i were DL i'd sure up our defense with souray and stuart (just don't see drury or gomez coming to LA) and draft a guy like kane or chereponov. someone explosive and exciting. we are a young team that doesn't expect to win for a year or two. bring up labarbara and resign burke..drop cloutier to the minors until he finds his game or realizes he needs to retire..let the young forwards play with a stable defense behind them.

in short, although i wont be disappointed with alzner-my choice is kane.

DL will probably draft turris anyway!

Karamazov

Mar 6, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
I have already addressed this in another thread but......when a player is selected in the 1st round getting a solid NHL player is considered a success. But when drafting a guy with a top 5 pick the expectations go up just a bit. GM's expect a 1st line forward / 1st pairing defenseman / franchise goalie ....when they use a top 5 pick on a player. I called these guys busts not because they are bad players.....but becasue they definitely did not live up to the expectations that were set for them when they were originally drafted.

Yeah I kind of figured you chose the term BUST in that regard, so we probably just disagree over semantics. I do agree with you that Klesla hasn't reached his potential yet, but I think he still can, and even if he doesn't imporve I'd never call him a bust. I do think that Pitkanen, JayBO, and Whitney have lived up to their high billing thus far however. Although some people thoght JayBo would have 90 pts by now....;)

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I would take Alzner if I were LA, I think he's a much safer pick. Kane is definitely potentially higher reward, but he is higher risk too. Alzner is almost a sure bet to be a top 2 or top 3 defenseman, and that to me is a great pick.

I don't think he has the upside of Lidstrom, Niedermayer, or Redden, though, if he did he would be the undisputed number one overall prospect in this draft. I am thinking he may be a bigger version of John-Michael Liles, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad