Post-Game Talk (GBU): King me

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don't have an issue with KO standing up for Mittelstadt. He has an A and someone on the ice needed to stand up for him.

I think Eichel-Skinner works because now teams not only have to match up their shutdown line, but now that have to deal with two high-end threats instead of one - both who can manufacture their own offense. They still need a RW for this line as I'm not sure Pomminville can play these minutes at his age on a nightly basis.

Other than that, if the Sabres are indeed a better team this year (and it is looking like they are), beating teams down on their luck like LA, instead of being just what the doctor ordered, for them is progress. That said, they still had to work hard and LA wasn't going to just give it to them. This was an important game as it got them back to .500.

Anyone that is hoping for a Housley departure, this shows that he is also pushing the right buttons and is making progress with this group.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Also, Girgs-Larsson-Berglund were 0/5 CF/CA deep into the first, then proceeded to not allow another shot attempt for the rest of the game. Girgs took a lot of heat in the preseason, but he's been a corsi monster this season.
I’ve always loved Girgs/Larsson as a combo. Particularly in a defensive role.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They are giving up the most shots in the league and are top 5 in GA.

So, Gibson and Miller are playing at a Hasek-esque level and/or the Ducks are giving up a ton of low danger shots. Kind of like what people thought about the Bylsma-coached Sabres.

They also have the 2nd worst HDCA/60 in the league.

They’ve been brutal defensively

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Cool.

The main point of my post is that Miller and Gibson are both off to a strong start and it's not like the Sabres get a layup if Miller starts tonight.
Not for nothing but your post said they were a team off to a great start defensively. They’re not. They have two goalies playing amazing. Which will be a challenge but one that’s different than the challenge presented by a team playing great team defense

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not for nothing but your post said they were a team off to a great start defensively. They’re not. They have two goalies playing amazing. Which will be a challenge but one that’s different than the challenge presented by a team playing great team defense

My post was in response to a post about how the poster hoped that the Sabres would face Miller and not Gibson.

My post was to say that either way, the Sabres are facing a goalie with a really good stat line to start the season.

Sorry if I made an assumption that was incorrect about the Ducks as a team playing defensively given that both of their goalies are off to really good starts.

I apologize.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
My post was in response to a post about how the poster hoped that the Sabres would face Miller and not Gibson.

My post was to say that either way, the Sabres are facing a goalie with a really good stat line to start the season.

Sorry if I made an assumption that was incorrect about the Ducks as a team playing defensively given that both of their goalies are off to really good starts.

I apologize.
No need to apologize and I agree with your point about the goalies. Just pointing in out their defense hasn’t been good. Which oddly enough scares me.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
That’s why I said fake tough guy. If he was an actual tough guy, I’d have no problem with it. The tough guy retaliating to a borderline hit is supposed to act as a deterrent. Okposo isn’t deterring anyone.
He was right there, it happened in front of him. Is he supposed to summon a "more suitable linemate" to engage Thompson????

I don't have an issue with KO standing up for Mittelstadt. He has an A and someone on the ice needed to stand up for him.

I think Eichel-Skinner works because now teams not only have to match up their shutdown line, but now that have to deal with two high-end threats instead of one - both who can manufacture their own offense. They still need a RW for this line as I'm not sure Pomminville can play these minutes at his age on a nightly basis.

Other than that, if the Sabres are indeed a better team this year (and it is looking like they are), beating teams down on their luck like LA, instead of being just what the doctor ordered, for them is progress. That said, they still had to work hard and LA wasn't going to just give it to them. This was an important game as it got them back to .500.

Anyone that is hoping for a Housley departure, this shows that he is also pushing the right buttons and is making progress with this group.
Exactly.

Rewatching that first Skinner goal. His edge work, balance , etc is amazing
unbelievable at times how tight his turning radius is to swivel his body via just his ankles. It's almost as though he spent years as a figure skater before starting hockey...:sarcasm:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He was right there, it happened in front of him. Is he supposed to summon a "more suitable linemate" to engage Thompson????

Exactly.

unbelievable at times how tight his turning radius is to swivel his body via just his ankles. It's almost as though he spent years as a figure skater before starting hockey...:sarcasm:
I enjoyed his figure skater leap over traffic to get to the puck behind Miller.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I’m watching the West replay of the ducks feed right now.

Rewatching a game because I liked what I saw? That’s slug-era esque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad