kindl 27 points, + 49 over a 82 game season

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
I know stats are stats, but he has progressed a great deal since he joined the nhl full time.

If u look at games played he hasn't even played 2 full seasons yet.

With semi erratic usage I think his play is a pleasant surprise and shouldn't put him in the doghouse at all. Some people - we know who- have blinders and are too stubborn to admit what they see.

It seems with this team if you are a "veteran" you get a free pass at the detriment of the team.

Anyways I hope he continues his good play and gets better, and not lost in the shuffle and have some old vet/bandaid signed to take his place in the future.

crashman

Him and Ericsson both look pretty good these days. Maybe it's because our defense is worse (without Lidstrom and Stuart), so they just look better by comparison. Regardless, he's a keeper in my opinion.

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
I've been trying to tell you guys all along; give the guy an actual chance, and he'll surprise us. As far as I'm concerned, he's been great this year.

The only thing that continues to worry me is that we'll do something absolutely stupid and swap him out for Komisarek or some other useless dinosaur vet that we don't even remotely need at this point. I'm still not entirely convinced that this new found trust from Babcock is all what it appears; the nagging feeling that his increased ice time is a showcase for other teams remains. But then again, maybe I'm just paranoid, so what do I know.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
In what doghouse he has actually been?

What I've watched those latest team moves, they benched "veteran" White and Huskins instead of Kindl. And he has been involved in every game during this five-game run against tough opponents and when the defence has played well. Babcock has also given some credits to our defence, that he likes it being big, young and mobile.

Has he been benched for what, three games so far in the season? Other games he was out because of that early groin injury.

I would call this "benching" and "doghouse" for normal rotation in a tight game schedule. Real "doghouse" is that you are sitting all games, not matter what happens. People are just overracting like crazy for everything nowadays... :shakehead

So is this "doghouse" kind of old news or overreacting? Kindl has earned his place on the roster. I've heard some comments in some times ago from our management that young players have to be better than veterans to play them out from the roster. And that's what has happened. So where is the problem?

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I like where he's trending, but can't rule out this being a showcase just yet.

RedWingsNow*

I know stats are stats, but he has progressed a great deal since he joined the nhl full time.

With semi erratic usage I think his play is a pleasant surprise and shouldn't put him in the doghouse at all. Some people - we know who- have blinders and are too stubborn to admit what they see.

It seems with this team if you are a "veteran" you get a free pass at the detriment of the team.

Anyways I hope he continues his good play and gets better, and not lost in the shuffle and have some old vet/bandaid signed to take his place in the future.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people hate Kindl and actively campaign against him.
Anyone see his work on the PP last game? He worked the blueline better than Kronwall did.
Anyone see his SIX hits, including two really hard ones along the wall?

There are 4 issues I see in Kindl's game.
1) You gotta stay on him him or he'll start playing soft.
2) Indecisiveness with the puck on the breakout.
3) Seems to get caught up the ice too often
40 When a guy is skating on the Wing, he doesn't close quickly enough and gives us a pretty decent shot.

If you ask me, he'ls going to fix everything but #1 with playing time.

And as he gets better with the puck and on the powerplay, he's going to turn into a 10 goal, 40 point guy... maybe even more, depending on his circumstances, and teams might not ask him to play outside is comfort zone.

Personally, I'll never understand why a player needs to be coaxed into playing tough. Skating around, hitting people, and battling for every inch of the ice is hard work. But it's also a lot of fun.

RedWingsNow*

I like where he's trending, but can't rule out this being a showcase just yet.

No, we can't. But someone (me) is going to be pissed unless we get a good return for him.
You don't trade away his kind of skill to keep 5'10 Ian White, or AHLer Brian Lashoff, or Kent Huskins, or Carlo IR Colaiacovo or Kyle Quincey.

But if we were able to move JK and get something that helps the team, than I can live with it

RedWingsNow*

In what doghouse he has actually been?

What I've watched those latest team moves, they benched "veteran" White and Huskins instead of Kindl. And he has been involved in every game during this five-game run against tough opponents and when the defence has played well. Babcock has also given some credits to our defence, that he likes it being big, young and mobile.

Has he been benched for what, three games so far in the season? Other games he was out because of that early groin injury.

I would call this "benching" and "doghouse" for normal rotation in a tight game schedule. Real "doghouse" is that you are sitting all games, not matter what happens. People are just overracting like crazy for everything nowadays... :shakehead

So is this "doghouse" kind of old news or overreacting? Kindl has earned his place on the roster. I've heard some comments in some times ago from our management that young players have to be better than veterans to play them out from the roster. And that's what has happened. So where is the problem?

When coach call you out for your positioning on a dumbass giveaway by Kronwall and Filp, and then you sit in favor of Huskins AND Lashoff, you're in the dog house

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Agreed. I still think he'll be traded for a legit top 2 defensemen.

I agree with you and Joe. I'm not convinced this isn't showcasing him for a trade - although Babcock likes the defense as is, at least according to what he's said, so who knows.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really hope they don't trade him, I have always been a big fan of his ability. His physical game has really come along as well. For me lately he has been our third best d-man.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
In spite of the mistakes from most of our younger guys, overall I've been pleased with Kindl, Ericsson, Quincey and Smitty. Their mobility is great, a few have some positioning issues to work out, which comes with time, but they have good tool sets. I'm also surprised at how Lashoff has fit in as another spare part. Mind you, I'm not saying any of these guys are going to contend for the Norris any time soon, but other than the goofs at the end yesterday, I think the D did pretty darn well against the best team in the NHL.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Agreed. I still think he'll be traded for a legit top 2 defensemen.

We'd have to throw in a lot for that to happen. Top 2 defensemen aren't traded often, and when they are it's for an awful lot.

Either way, I don't think Kindl is being showcased for a trade. I'm sure he'll finish the season with the team at the very least.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I really hope they don't trade him, I have always been a big fan of his ability. His physical game has really come along as well. For me lately he has been our third best d-man.

I see him bolting at first chance to UFA which is next summer I believe. Or maybe this is the turning point for Kindl in Detroit. We'll see.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Those numbers are impressive.
I've liked Ericsson's and Kindl's game lately. They have seemed very strong won battles along the boards.
I do not mind if Kindl gets traded for a better stay at home Dman.
I think that he have too many offensive minded Dmen.
I think that Kronwall, Quincey and Smith wander way too much.
We need big players and I am not for trading Kindl for a small Dman.

RedWingsNow*

I see him bolting at first chance to UFA which is next summer I believe. Or maybe this is the turning point for Kindl in Detroit. We'll see.

He'll be happier when Babcock is fired/resigns

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I've been willing to give him his due some this season as he's clearly performing better than he has at any point in his career. His contract expires after this season and he's still a RFA. I think the biggest thing they are doing is finding out exactly what he's capable of as an NHL'er. To date it hasn't been much.

His QoC is the lowest among regular skaters. His Corsi relative to the quality of competition he's facing is the worst on the team. He is producing the second most points per 60 mins at even strength so at least he's generating offense. He takes the most penalties per 60 mins despite playing weak competition. So at the end of the day he has his good and bad moments against the weakest competition the NHL offers. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. There are lots of those guys available.

The team has two offensive defensemen in White and Colaiacovo who are ready to go. White hasn't played up to Babcock's expectations so that's apparently why he's sitting. He's also generated no offense, albeit while playing the toughest competition. Colaiacovo has played so little I expect how he performs in practice will determine if/when he gets added back to the lineup.

There just isn't much to show Kindl is what they hoped he would be when they drafted him. Right now he's treading water against 3rd and 4th liners and 3rd pairing d-men. How much is that really worth? How much above that are you going to need to spend to sign him to a new deal? I suppose the best thing we can say is he's getting ice time and with that ice time we'll find out whether he can elevate his game above where it's at right now.

RedWingsNow*

I've been willing to give him his due some this season as he's clearly performing better than he has at any point in his career. His contract expires after this season and he's still a RFA. I think the biggest thing they are doing is finding out exactly what he's capable of as an NHL'er. To date it hasn't been much.

His QoC is the lowest among regular skaters. His Corsi relative to the quality of competition he's facing is the worst on the team. He is producing the second most points per 60 mins at even strength so at least he's generating offense. He takes the most penalties per 60 mins despite playing weak competition. So at the end of the day he has his good and bad moments against the weakest competition the NHL offers. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. There are lots of those guys available.

The team has two offensive defensemen in White and Colaiacovo who are ready to go. White hasn't played up to Babcock's expectations so that's apparently why he's sitting. He's also generated no offense, albeit while playing the toughest competition. Colaiacovo has played so little I expect how he performs in practice will determine if/when he gets added back to the lineup.

There just isn't much to show Kindl is what they hoped he would be when they drafted him. Right now he's treading water against 3rd and 4th liners and 3rd pairing d-men. How much is that really worth? How much above that are you going to need to spend to sign him to a new deal? I suppose the best thing we can say is he's getting ice time and with that ice time we'll find out whether he can elevate his game above where it's at right now.

In your efforts to cast Kindl in a bad light, you neglected to mention that Kind continues to produce despite having largely ****** offensive teammates.

He's an offensive-minded guy playing with the Millers and Abdelkaders... but when he's out there with the Tatars and Anderssons, good things happen,

So imagine what happens if he's out there with the Datsyuks or Zetterbergs.

Tougher defensive assignments, sure. But if you're on offense, it's easier to play D

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kindl takes the most penalties per 60 mins[/URL] despite playing weak competition.

I think he learned the lesson after those 3 in-a-row penalties at Nashville.

0 penalties since that in these five games against harder opponents.

I don't understand these Kindl negatives RIGHT NOW when he has been nothing but good in the last 5 games. I also critiziced him at earlier at the season, but so far it looks like those bad days are behind.

CloneHakanPlease*

A while ago a guy who doesnt post often posted a beautifully worded and full explanation relating Kindl to Paul Mara if he reached his full potential. I really liked that comparison and he made good points of several similar milestones regarding timing. I'll find it and post it when on a real PC.

Anyways, relative to expectations, he's been good. Still think he can become a good 4th

Edit: meant Paul Martin not Mara

Last edited by a moderator:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
A while ago a guy who doesnt post often posted a beautifully worded and full explanation relating Kindl to Paul Mara if he reached his full potential. I really liked that comparison and he made good points of several similar milestones regarding timing. I'll find it and post it when on a real PC.

Anyways, relative to expectations he's been good. Still think he can become a good 4th

So.. will Kindl also be out of the league in five years?

RedWingsNow*

If it is a showcase hopefully Babcock and Holland take notice of how good he's been playing and realize it's not worth giving up on him yet.

They were showcasing Hudler on Datsyuk's wing two years ago. When the deadline passed, Hudler went back to the fourth line:)

CloneHakanPlease*

So.. will Kindl also be out of the league in five years?

I actually am 99% sure I got confused with Mara and Paul Martin, but either way you're selling Mara short. He had a very respectable peak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->