The Athletic Kim Pegula Q&A: The arrival of brighter days with the Sabres & Bills and a growing sports empire

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Wasn't sure where to put this, but this has a lot of insight into the Sabres (and Bills) and is a great read.

This is one of the most interesting things I took out of it, Sabres-wise:

In talking about the new $18 million dollar training facility they are building in Orchard Park next to the Bills stadium...

I saw a lot of excitement about the addition to the training facility over in Orchard Park. [The Pegulas are funding an $18 million expansion of their training center next to the Bills’ stadium.]
Yes, yes. I was telling another agent today because I’m really excited about that. I know we’ve done team meeting rooms, we did the training room, we’ve done locker rooms, but the strength and conditioning and the sports performance — especially the sports performance — is an area we’ve really invested a lot in over the last few years, both at the Sabres and now in football, because if we can’t keep our guys on the ice or the field, that just hurts everything overall. And they’re making such big strides now in preventing injuries. And we have a great, knowledgeable staff with a lot of experience from all different sports. The players and the coaching staff are — as you know, hockey’s hard to change — but they are embracing that. For us to be able to prevent injuries, for us to prolong a player’s career, for us to make them more available on game days, there’s no other place that you’re going to want to spend the resources to do that. And this new training center will do that.
Also, it will keep Buffalo relevant from a free-agency standpoint. We always talk about that. When they come into the facility and they see that this is what we care about, we care about you as a player, we’re providing the resources and the amenities so that you can be the best player you can be, the best person you can be, I think it resonates. We’re going to be one of the few at the very top to have a facility like that. I’m really excited about that.
You mention prolonging careers. It seems to be so much more important now with so many young people on each team.
And when you’re a veteran, that’s when the free-agency part comes in and you’re not that rookie under a contract anymore, you want to go to a team that you feel, “OK, what are they going to do for me?” Prolonging their career, keeping them safe, helping them in those years where they’re coming closer to an end I think is important. I think free agents and veterans look for that, and we need veterans to help with the young guys.
We’ve done some changes to hockey as well. We’ve updated our strength and conditioning room. You’ll be excited, we’re going to update the media room, so this summer we have been making some changes. But I think this new facility, I know when Jack (Eichel) had his injury, he came over to the Bills’ facility as well to use some of their stuff that we didn’t have at the Sabres. So that facility, even though it’s on the football side, I see that being used for our all players when needed.

Cool for the Sabres that they can leverage the Bills facilities and expertise and resources to help their players out too. This is supposed to be one of the best training facilities in all of the NFL and if the Sabres can utilize it as well then that's going to be a nice edge over other teams.

Some cool Sabres and Bills (and Amerks and Beauts) stuff in the article by Vogl.

Kim Pegula Q&A: On the arrival of brighter days with the...

Member 308457

Kim Pegula is the big reason for the team's continuing failures. First it was Terry and his blundering managerial revolving door. Then he handed it over to Kim. Now she's completely in charge and has an irrational rationale about running a professional sports franchise. It's like she has has chosen counterintuitively, inexperienced people like herself, who are supposed to organize and run the franchise. People who won't challenge "the most powerful woman in sports." Gee, I'm impressed with her. All the way from South Korea to Rochester to Alaska she went. She was handed this title and did absolutely nothing to deserve it, except being Terry's wife. While the black widow is president, we might as well pack it in forever. She has solidified an atmosphere of fear on this team.

Last edited by a moderator:

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
we will see brighter days only when the Pegulas sell the team to someone who knows what he/she knows what he/she is doing

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Kim Pegula is the big reason for the team's continuing failures. First it was Terry and his blundering managerial revolving door. Then he handed it over to Kim. Now she's completely in charge and has an irrational rationale about running a professional sports franchise. It's like she has has chosen counterintuitively, inexperienced people like herself, who are supposed to organize and run the franchise. People who won't challenge "the most powerful woman in sports." Gee, I'm impressed with her. All the way from South Korea to Rochester to Alaska she went. She was handed this title and did absolutely nothing to deserve it, except being Terry's wife. While the black widow is president, we might as well pack it in forever. She has solidified an atmosphere of fear on this team.

This post is just as wrong as it was when you typed it the first time.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The new master plan is to wait for one of the Pegula kids to get control of the team. Hopefully the Pegula's will follow the Jeremy Jacobs plan rather than the Bill Wirtz method.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
PITTSFORD, N.Y. — Through smiles, jokes and laughs, Kim Pegula showed how comfortable she is as one of the most powerful women in sports. And she has good reasons to be in a great mood.

Her teams crushed the offseason.

Yeah, stopped reading about there.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
When was the last time the Sabres had a hockey guy running the show? Was it John Muckler?

How about the Bills? When was the last time someone with a football background was their president? I think it was Tom Donahoe.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
When was the last time the Sabres had a hockey guy running the show? Was it John Muckler?

How about the Bills? When was the last time someone with a football background was their president? I think it was Tom Donahoe.

Maybe, I don’t know.

What I’m wondering is what was so good about either of those two you mentioned?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Maybe, I don’t know.

What I’m wondering is what was so good about either of those two you mentioned?
I didn't say they were good. The problem is they abandoned a long established management structure over 20 years ago and never returned to it because of a couple bad hires.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
PITTSFORD, N.Y. — Through smiles, jokes and laughs, Kim Pegula showed how comfortable she is as one of the most powerful women in sports. And she has good reasons to be in a great mood.

Her teams crashed the offseason.

Yeah, stopped reading about there.
Fixed it.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I have no problem with what they are doing. From an owner standpoint they are doing what they should, pour money into making the players safer, more comfortable and more educated. I have no issues with them being involved some on the sports side as well, if I paid 1.5 billion plus for sports franchises I would be very interested in all the ongoings. I would necessarily be balls deep like a Jerry Jones but I would inserted enough to gauge what is happening.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I am still thankful that the talk of the Sabres moving is long gone.

They are still learning about how to run the hockey team. But, that isn't as easy as many around here think it is.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

Deleted member 27798

Until the teams have success under their ownership/leadership, IMO they will be underachieving(and in over their heads) owners in my eyes.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Sorry guys. I admit I do dislike Kim. But the most important thing is I don't think she knows what she's doing. And that bodes bad for the Sabres. (and Bills)
No owners no what they are doing when they start, until they stumble into some success and stick with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad