Kim Pegula believes in authenticity hires.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Sabres should make a "trial period" offer to Dudley. Call it senior consultant or special advisor to the GM. Make it for 3 months. If it works out they can extend it. If not, there's no strings attached. Dudley might go for that kind of arrangement. When the owners have a rep for being unstable nutjobs, and you're at the tail end of your career, you don't want to hitch your wagon to them until you find out what they're like. Sorry Kim, but you're the one that's on trial.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
The Sabres are a less successful Wang-owned Islanders.

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
New Pegula fracking venture draws investment and board role from former Pennsylvania Governor Corbett

"Taylor Gahagen, Jessie Pegula’s fiancé, was made Pegula Sports and Entertainment’s director of corporate development, and Jason Long, the son of Terry Pegula’s longtime friend, was made general manager of HarborCenter. Gordon Kerr, Kim Pegula’s brother, left his job as a school administrator in the Buffalo suburb of Hamburg to be president and CEO of Black River Entertainment after the Pegulas bought the label. Kerr’s daughter, Kim and Terry Pegula’s niece, Hannah Kerr has a record deal with Black River’s Christian music imprint."

Authenticity hires...

Member 308457

New Pegula fracking venture draws investment and board role from former Pennsylvania Governor Corbett

"Taylor Gahagen, Jessie Pegula’s fiancé, was made Pegula Sports and Entertainment’s director of corporate development, and Jason Long, the son of Terry Pegula’s longtime friend, was made general manager of HarborCenter. Gordon Kerr, Kim Pegula’s brother, left his job as a school administrator in the Buffalo suburb of Hamburg to be president and CEO of Black River Entertainment after the Pegulas bought the label. Kerr’s daughter, Kim and Terry Pegula’s niece, Hannah Kerr has a record deal with Black River’s Christian music imprint."

Authenticity hires...

Sounds like Nepotism = Authenticity. This is a corrupt organization.

Reactions: Drunkard

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It isn't usually the smartest policy but there's nothing illegal or corrupt about a private business doing it

The problem with the Pegulas is that they run PS&E like a jobs program for the family with no consideration for qualifications. They don't have the background or drive to succeed. The Pegulas are an anomaly. Some of the oldest and most successful businesses have been owned and managed by the same family for generations. Kids in those families grow up working in the business and are groomed to take leadership positions. The family business is a culture they grow up with. The Pegulas are trying to create a culture out of thin air.

Family Leadership | Delaware North
The Family Business Legacy of Rich Products Corporation
How Two Brothers Built Their Family Wine Business Into A $40 Billion Alcohol Empire
Ciminelli Commercial Real Estate Corporation
Weaver Materiel Service
History - Mayer Brothers
Family Owned & Operated Retail Company | Gordon Companies Inc.

“We are a real family business in every sense of the phrase. Nepotism works for us,” proclaims Robert E. (Bob) Rich Jr., chairman of Rich Products Corp., the Buffalo, N.Y., food giant. The company, which employs more than 6,000 people worldwide and generates annual revenues of $2.4 billion, prides itself on encouraging generations to work side by side—not only in the owner’s family, but also among its staff. “Families often work well together,” he says. “That policy becomes an integral part of who we are.”

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The problem with the Pegulas is that they run PS&E like a jobs program for the family with no consideration for qualifications. They don't have the background or drive to succeed. The Pegulas are an anomaly. Some of the oldest and most successful businesses have been owned and managed by the same family for generations. Kids in those families grow up working in the business and are groomed to take leadership positions. The family business is a culture they grow up with. The Pegulas are trying to create a culture out of thin air.

Absolutely agree. I talked about this in another thread; They may be billionaires, but they are not good business executives. They truly believe that because they got it 'right' once that every decision they make in business is automatically correct, and anything that doesn't work out is someone else's fault.

The best people in business aim to never be the smartest person in the room, so they are always learning something. The worst ones think they're the smartest people in the room when they aren't.

You can probably guess where I'd put the Pegulas.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Am I the only one who finds the One Buffalo campaign cringe worthy? It like a creepy cousin you can't stand and only see once a year coming up to you at a party and acting like you're best buddies. It's not authentic.

member 311261

Am I the only one who finds the One Buffalo campaign cringe worthy? It like a creepy cousin you can't stand and only see once a year coming up to you at a party and acting like you're best buddies. It's not authentic.

Plus the logo and colour scheme is horrendous. The Bills and Sabres colours don't match! Total amateur hour!

I asked this in another thread... Has anyone here ever paid money for anything with that logo?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Am I the only person who can't immediately grok how appointing family to business and marketing positions translates to on-ice performance. Those worlds seem compartmentalized.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Am I the only person who can't immediately grok how appointing family to business and marketing positions translates to on-ice performance. Those worlds seem compartmentalized.

Inexperienced / unskilled management = greater chance of business losses = cutbacks across the entire organization to cover for those losses = cutbacks / layoffs in support staff that directly works with (or drafts, or scouts, etc.) players = decreased on-ice performance. Not a direct tie-in, sure, but we've seen evidence of this already at PS&E.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Authenticity hires...

Authentically nepotistic.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

To a large extent, sure. But it shows the pattern of how they think.

Throw out the friends and family bit for a moment. When an employer hires someone to do a job that is extremely underqualified or experienced, they do it for 2 basic reasons.
  1. They are cheap and know they can get that person to accept less than someone who does have appropriate qualifications and experience.
  2. They expect that the person will generally just agree with what the owner says, and isn't likely to push back.
It's all about control. They believe they know best, and they hire people who will carry out their directives without much pushback, because they don't yet have the experience to know they SHOULD push back.

Generally the pattern is that as these people gain experience and knowledge, they will start to be more confident and vocal about things. They will start to get more frustrated because they are being dismissed or minimized, and either leave of their own accord, or be pushed out by the owners, who will create a reason in their own minds that the person wasn't working out, and replace them with someone else to start the cycle over again.

I'm not trying to pick on Jesse's fiance, but he is a classic example. He has a BA in Business Administration, and an MBA. His only listed work experience is a Marketing Coordinator , but all of a sudden he's the Director of Corporate Development for FIVE professional sports franchises , three sports venues, hotels, restaurants, a record label, and all the other random crap they have? Seriously? That sized portfolio would be absurd for a seasoned professional with 20 years of experience, let alone someone basically fresh out of college.

Everything the Pegulas do tells me that they are terrible at business, and terrible to work for if you have any pride in what you do. They will continue to be fine for a long time because once you reach a certain level of wealth it takes extraordinary effort to make it collapse, but we shouldn't expect anything to ever change from this family.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The counter-argument is that kind of scenario / structure works if the person in charge is largely titular, and there are both strong, proven processes, and a keenly competent staff under that individual.

As examples:
1. Queen / King of England vs. PM / Parliament (& Funkadelic).
2. Pope vs. Roman Curia / college of cardinals and bishops.
3. Chairman of Board & Board of Directors vs. CEO and Executive Committee.

Unfortunately with PSE, most closely aligned with #3, there's no evidence Kim is simply Chairman of the Board and her family members serve as a Board of Directors rubber-stamping the plans and actions of a non-Chairman CEO and a strong executive committee. I would believe the Canadiens and Leafs as part of Rogers / MLSE are more appropriate example of #3.

I won't offer up the USA military example of Commander in Chief / Secretary of Defense vs. Chair of joint Chiefs of Staff / branch commanders and (his) senior admirals / generals because my assumption is Chairs of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, whose nominations are independently ratified, are not nominated if they are inept / unqualified.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Initially we compartmentalized Covid-19 as a respiratory disease. Now we know it affects the entire body.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Authenticity hires...

I’ve never even heard of Black River Entertainment. So why a Christian music sub label? Wouldn’t just signing them to Black River just be smarter?

This sounds almost as stupid as the Christian music label Tooth & Nail coming out with a not-Christian music imprint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->