Kim Pegula believes in authenticity hires.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
So Babcock was authentic when he bent them over to get the offer and leverage with Toronto? Ummm ok.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The reason she says stupid things is because she is stupid. Stupid and arrogant is losing combination. It's time we accepted that she's as dumb as a rock and isn't learning anything from being on the job. We can only hope that Kevyn Adams can find a way to manage her stupidity so it doesn't do harm. This women isn't even fit to manage the Healthy Scratch.

“No one has ever taken me up on this, but I think there should be a trial period, right?” the co-owner and president of the Buffalo Bills and Sabres said during a Zoom call Tuesday that was part of the two-day NFL Quarterback Coach Summit, geared toward helping minority candidates move up the professional ladder.

I wish there was one for owners. Nine years? They bought a team that went to the playoffs.

List of NHL franchise owners - Wikipedia
Let's take a look at how other people have done after purchasing a team.
upload_2020-6-24_18-29-55.png

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
To be balanced, other than the ROR trade and the Skinner contract (no issue with actually retaining Skinner, the contract was too rich for the full term and NMC), are Kim and Terry to blame for all the remaining bad and dumb-shit decisions Botterill made?

Johikaru and Skinner were dropped in his lap. He made no other beneficial acquisitions (with the book still open on Kahun), and made numerous bad and/or bad value deals. Let’s not blame that on Pegulas. Plenty of other GMs have succeeded - or at least not regressed - in all major sports despite inept, disinterested, or meddling owners.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To be balanced, other than the ROR trade and the Skinner contract (no issue with actually retaining Skinner, the contract was too rich for the full term and NMC), are Kim and Terry to blame for all the remaining bad and dumb-shit decisions Botterill made?

Johikaru and Skinner were dropped in his lap. He made no other beneficial acquisitions (with the book still open on Kahun), and made numerous bad and/or bad value deals. Let’s not blame that on Pegulas. Plenty of other GMs have succeeded - or at least not regressed - in all major sports despite inept, disinterested, or meddling owners.

I think the biggest problem I have is their thought process that went into hiring Adams and their stubborn refusal to add a Pres of Hockey Ops.

They believe that they are more qualified to guide the hockey ops department than say someone like Mike Gillis.

They believe that hiring yet another rookie GM is a good idea.

They highly value "Yes people" as indicated by their reasoning for firing Botterill being that they weren't being heard and that they felt comfortable hiring Adams without a real search because he will listen to them.

The biggest issue is that Terry and Kim don't seem to know what they don't know.

Reactions: Chainshot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This is a bad take.

Boterill didnt do a good job as GM, but saying every bad move he made was poor ability and every good move was luck is just so biased.

I would say it was a good move for Botterill to move on from a player (even though he fit the type of team he wanted to build) that needed a change of scenery so soon. It's best to cut ties than convince yourself over and over that you could fix him. It was smart of him to strike and agree to the trade when Bowman came calling (Id wager that's the luck part).

I will say the jury is still out on Joker for me. He regressed pretty hard by the end of the year. He wasn't playing as well as he was in the first 2 months. But that tends to happen with young defenseman that may not need to be in the NHL so soon.

For the Skinner part, he got lucky Skinner would waive his NTC for Buffalo. What followed after acquiring Skinner, was the terrible decision making of not locking him up sooner, which ended up biting the team in the butt. It's one thing to acquire talent as a "rental". It's a whole other matter with what you do with it after.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The reason she says stupid things is because she is stupid. Stupid and arrogant is losing combination. It's time we accepted that she's as dumb as a rock and isn't learning anything from being on the job. We can only hope that Kevyn Adams can find a way to manage her stupidity so it doesn't do harm. This women isn't even fit to manage the Healthy Scratch.

“No one has ever taken me up on this, but I think there should be a trial period, right?” the co-owner and president of the Buffalo Bills and Sabres said during a Zoom call Tuesday that was part of the two-day NFL Quarterback Coach Summit, geared toward helping minority candidates move up the professional ladder.

I wish there was one for owners. Nine years? They bought a team that went to the playoffs.

List of NHL franchise owners - Wikipedia
Let's take a look at how other people have done after purchasing a team.
View attachment 351276

So I do disagree that she is stupid. I do think she is arrogant, and very clueless.

Think back to her history. She was a communications major at Houghton. ( Oh, the irony there. ) She has said she wanted to go into journalism, but a comms degree really is more slanted towards marketing and PR. That's what she did at East during her time there.

The most successful people in marketing and PR have one common trait : They all believe their own bullshit. And that's exactly what we see here. She truly believes that she is competent and qualified be the President of these teams, and is spending zero time considering that might not be true. She's following the path of a true believer ; keep saying it and eventually everyone will buy it.

Reactions: slip

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
“The focus rarely is on the strategic aspects of the game. She considers a deep understanding of Xs and Os to be a given.”

:dunno:

“We want to win,” Pegula said. “Owners want to win, they want to bring a championship to their city. And I think that’s the key thing that drives them consistently. Now, not everyone may agree on how that happens. But I will say I don’t know any owner that doesn’t have that as their No. 1 priority.

“And, so, when you feel like there’s a disconnect with the people that you have in charge, it’s hard to sit by and just let it continue, knowing that you so desperately want to win and you so desperately want to succeed for your fans and your staff and your community.

“It’s not easy, because you know you’re talking about people’s lives, you know you’re talking about an onslaught of media and fans and things like that. But at the end of the day, it’s hard to sit by and feel that you’re not going towards that goal with that person for whatever reason. You try your best at the beginning, so you want have to deal with that, but things happen. Players come and go, seasons happen, this pandemic happens. So it’s not something you can foretell all the time. You try to do your best at the beginning, but no guarantees.”

I truly hope that was the reason why botterill was fired.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We are so doomed forever as fans of this nhl team.

It is going to get worse and worse. What they did last week was strengthen their authority.
Strengthen their authority?

They own the team and have ultimate authority over all aspects of the team. It doesn’t get any stronger than that and that’s been the case since they bought the team.

I’ve never understood the idea some have that we could hire an executive who would be able to overrule the owners. It’s part of what drove the desire for a President of Hockey Ops.

Last edited:

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Strengthen their authority?

They own the team and have ultimate authority over all aspects of the team. It doesn’t get any stronger than that and that’s been the case since they bought the team.

I’ve never understood the idea some have that we could hire an executive who would be able to overrule the owners. It’s part of what drove the desire for a President of Hockey Ops.
Ok. Sorry. Authority was the wrong word to use. Of course owners own.

A better description is an increased influence and involvement into areas that they have no expertise in. Typically owners delegate that stuff to managers who know what they are doing and how a professional program is structured. Kevyn Adams has that position because he is a willing and eager pass-through who will always be "open to ideas" (the awesome organizational mantra). He will make moves he disagrees with if the rest of the think tank on the "flat management team" wants it. Try getting lamoriello to sign up for that.

PegulasSportsEmpire

Mar 24, 2007
BUFFALO
The Pegulas seem to think that because it works in Football, that it’ll work in Hockey.

Hopefully it works out and we’re good next year.

But if not, then hopefully the Pegulas end “One Buffalo” and sell the Sabres.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
“The focus rarely is on the strategic aspects of the game. She considers a deep understanding of Xs and Os to be a given.”

:dunno:

I truly hope that was the reason why botterill was fired.
What do you mean by that? Did your quoted portion imply Kim felt Botterill didn't have sufficient passion and/or effort for winning? Or that he was too complacent / accepting of losing? If that is what either you, or the quoted text meant, then I agree with your hopeful reason he was fired.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ok. Sorry. Authority was the wrong word to use. Of course owners own.

A better description is an increased influence and involvement into areas that they have no expertise in. Typically owners delegate that stuff to managers who know what they are doing and how a professional program is structured. Kevyn Adams has that position because he is a willing and eager pass-through who will always be "open to ideas" (the awesome organizational mantra). He will make moves he disagrees with if the rest of the think tank on the "flat management team" wants it. Try getting lamoriello to sign up for that.
Fair enough and I can’t really disagree with you there.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
What do you mean by that? Did your quoted portion imply Kim felt Botterill didn't have sufficient passion and/or effort for winning? Or that he was too complacent / accepting of losing? If that is what either you, or the quoted text meant, then I agree with your hopeful reason he was fired.

Yes the 2nd part I quoted I was saying that I hope the Pegulas wanting to win (& not thinking Botterill was the right guy to get that done) was the #1 reason he was fired, and not for monetary reasons first.

If they fired botterill because they didn’t think he was the right guy to get the Sabres back to winning and Kevyn Adams was, I can live with that even though I wish they would have done a GM search.

If they did it because they wanted to save money + run with a much smaller staff and Botterill wasn’t willing to (and Adams was) then it’s worrying to say the least.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yes the 2nd part I quoted I was saying that I hope the Pegulas wanting to win (& not thinking Botterill was the right guy to get that done) was the #1 reason he was fired, and not for monetary reasons first.

If they fired botterill because they didn’t think he was the right guy to get the Sabres back to winning and Kevyn Adams was, I can live with that even though I wish they would have done a GM search.

If they did it because they wanted to save money + run with a much smaller staff and Botterill wasn’t willing to (and Adams was) then it’s worrying to say the least.

I can't believe in any way that if the Pegulas were primarily concerned that Botterill wasn't able to make the proper decisions to form a winner, that Kevyn Adams was the answer without an additional GM search. Now mind you, at least for fans it seems like working a FO job for the Sabres is an absolute farce of a career move, so I don't foresee many great applicants with another GM search, but ditching Botterill and going straight to Adams clearly says to me, "We just want to cut costs, and the on-ice results are a distant thought".

I think the Pegulas believe all the money they've put into the FO over the years has been a waste, given the perpetual bottom ten ranking. It's not the money IMO though, it's the terrible decision making by the people they have hired, and possibly/probably their own decision making included (outside of just the bad hires). So now, they figure why be bad and lose that much money too, when they can just be bad. They want to stop the financial bleeding and not have to try hard or look stupid anymore fumbling around for the right hockey people to turn the franchise around.

We lose. I'm now back to where I was in 1992 when I dropped this team for being perennial wimps and losers. Now they are a perennial joke at the top that can't find their own ass with two hands, a map, and a mirror. I feel bad for Eichel, Reinhart, and Dahlin, having to piss away most of their careers before they get a legit shot at team success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad