Value of: Killorn to the Avs

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Garrison might also be a possibility. I'd rather move JG before Killorn personally. To trade Garrison would majorly suck but Tampa's scoring depth has been more than suspect the past 2 years, especially in the playoffs. Losing Killorn would only make it worse.

Trading Garrison would create an even bigger weakness though.

For depth scoring, we have one key piece that we didn't have last year: Drouin, being slotted properly. That's going to be a major help. (We also have to see if our PP can improve with Richards onboard).

Trading any of our top-3 defensemen would just about gut our defense. Let's wait until Koekkoek bumps him out of his spot.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I think you speak for us all.

Mediocre regular season player. Excellent post-season player. That's the kind of guy who usually comes at a bargain, contract-wise. We're just so strapped right now...

I would hardly say he's mediocre in the regular season. He hasn't been on the same line for more than a month straight in his NHL career and still averages 40 points a season. You could do a lot worse than that.

And I fail to see how a list that includes Nesterov has Killorn as the odd man out.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I would hardly say he's mediocre in the regular season. He hasn't been on the same line for more than a month straight in his NHL career and still averages 40 points a season. You could do a lot worse than that.

And I fail to see how a list that includes Nesterov has Killorn as the odd man out.

Probably because Nesterov will come at a fraction of the price.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Nesterov isn't going to make a dent either way.

I don't think Killorn is out either. But I think if we can't move either Carle or Filppula, he might be.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Has Stuart been bought out yet? If not Stuart + McLeod + Gelinas + 2017 1st + 3rd for Carle + Killorn?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Has Stuart been bought out yet? If not Stuart + McLeod + Gelinas + 2017 1st + 3rd for Carle + Killorn?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

It's really Killorn for a 1st and 3rd. Stuart, McLeod and Gelinas combined make 6.4 so just 900k more than Carle. Gelinas I would send to Syracuse because they need a LD like him and burying him brings the combined cap to 5.5. If he gets picked of waivers we free up 1.5 so even better. McLeod will bring a ton of grit to our bottom 6, he won't replace Killorn but adds a different element. Stuart is just so they take Carle, buying out Carle opens up 3.6 for us which is what Stuart makes so we get no savings but we don't have a 1.8 dead hit for 4 years. Stuart is a 35+ contract so we can't get any relief from it but it expires next year when we need all the space we can get.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

For depth scoring, we have one key piece that we didn't have last year: Drouin, being slotted properly. That's going to be a major help. (We also have to see if our PP can improve with Richards onboard).

Trading any of our top-3 defensemen would just about gut our defense. Let's wait until Koekkoek bumps him out of his spot.

Drouin is a top 6 contributor. the lack of scoring depth is coming from the bottom lines. Tampa's 3rd line has scored something like 30 points over their last 100 playoffs games combined. It's even worse if you do the math in minutes played. Guys like Brown-Flip and Callahan have produced at an average to below-average 4th line pace. There can't be any bigger weakness on defense unless Hedman disappears. Last but not least, losing Killorn means we're getting back to the Callahan-is-a-top-sixer experiment and he could miss the first +15 games of next season on top of that. Who's going to play on Stamkos' wing to start the season ? It might force Yzerman's hand to keep Filppula another season which nullifies the purpose to trade Killorn in the first place.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
If we were to move him we would have to just go get another top six power forward why the heck would we do that?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Drouin is a top 6 contributor. the lack of scoring depth is coming from the bottom lines. Tampa's 3rd line has scored something like 30 points over their last 100 playoffs games combined. It's even worse if you do the math in minutes played. Guys like Brown-Flip and Callahan have produced at an average to below-average 4th line pace. There can't be any bigger weakness on defense unless Hedman disappears. Last but not least, losing Killorn means we're getting back to the Callahan-is-a-top-sixer experiment and he could miss the first +15 games of next season on top of that. Who's going to play on Stamkos' wing to start the season ? It might force Yzerman's hand to keep Filppula another season which nullifies the purpose to trade Killorn in the first place.

Yes, Drouin is a top-sixer. And having him in the top-six will push a better player into our bottom-six. That's going to help our depth scoring. We've very, very rarely had Drouin and Stamkos in the top-six together. That, alone, is going to make a big difference. Then we can look to add a cheap depth scorer if we can find the space.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Our 3rd line is going to suck until Callahan plays like he did 2 years ago.

Palat- Johnson- Kucherov
Namestnikov- Stamkos- Drouin
Brown-Filppula- Callahan
Paquette- Boyle- Condra

We replace Killorn in the top 6 with Namestnikov. He has played well with Stamkos before and he's better suited for the top 6 than the 3rd line. Maybe flip him and Filppula to give Stamkos another playmaker and some defensive cover but the 3rd line isn't our shutdown line anymore and you're hoping Namestnikov can carry the other two offensively.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Yes, Drouin is a top-sixer. And having him in the top-six will push a better player into our bottom-six. That's going to help our depth scoring. We've very, very rarely had Drouin and Stamkos in the top-six together. That, alone, is going to make a big difference. Then we can look to add a cheap depth scorer if we can find the space.

Our 3rd line is going to suck until Callahan plays like he did 2 years ago.

Palat- Johnson- Kucherov
Namestnikov- Stamkos- Drouin
Brown-Filppula- Callahan
Paquette- Boyle- Condra

We replace Killorn in the top 6 with Namestnikov. He has played well with Stamkos before and he's better suited for the top 6 than the 3rd line. Maybe flip him and Filppula to give Stamkos another playmaker and some defensive cover but the 3rd line isn't our shutdown line anymore and you're hoping Namestnikov can carry the other two offensively.

I hate the both of you
armscrossed.gif

PaulGG

May 15, 2011

As we learned last year you can never have too much defensive depth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad