TV: Killing Eve

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Just watched the first episode - fantastic. One of the best premier episodes I've seen. It's getting great reviews too - 83 percent on Metacritic and 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

BBC America

Killing Eve centers on two women; Eve is a bored, whip-smart, pay-grade MI5 security officer whose desk-bound job doesn't fulfill her fantasies of being a spy. Villanelle is a mercurial, talented killer who clings to the luxuries her violent job affords her. Killing Eve topples the typical spy-action thriller as these two fiercely intelligent women, equally obsessed with each other, go head to head in an epic game of cat and mouse.

Killing Eve: Season 1 - Rotten Tomatoes

Cast and Characters
  • Sandra Oh as Eve Polastri.
  • Jodie Comer as Villanelle.
  • Fiona Shaw as Carolyn Martens, Head of the Russia Section at MI6.
  • Darren Boyd as Frank Haleton.
  • Owen McDonnell as Niko Polastri, Eve's husband and a teacher.
  • Kirby Howell-Baptiste as Elena Felton, Eve's Assistant.
  • Sean Delaney as Kenny Stowton, an ex-hacker, who has been recruited by MI6.
  • David Haig as Bill Pargrave.
  • Kim Bodnia as Konstantin, Villanelle's handler.
Killing Eve - Wikipedia

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I just watched the first 3 episodes and I am loving it. The Villanelle character is mesmerizing. The intro scene of Villanelle hits all the marks. Loving the humor within the dramatic scenes.

Of course there are some points which feel a little weak like how Villanelle is this absolutely un-catchable criminal yet she's so sloppy.. it doesn't really make sense.. but the show is a lot of fun and the characters and actors are really endearing and making the whole thing an enjoyable experience.

It's another example of a TV show/movie made by women with women but for everyone. It doesn't feel like we're force fed some fake agenda BS unlike so many shows/movies lately which fall into this lazy trap, yet it has strong female characters which are well acted and drive the story. I want to see more.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I just watched the first 3 episodes and I am loving it. The Villanelle character is mesmerizing. The intro scene of Villanelle hits all the marks. Loving the humor within the dramatic scenes.

Of course there are some points which feel a little weak like how Villanelle is this absolutely un-catchable criminal yet she's so sloppy.. it doesn't really make sense.. but the show is a lot of fun and the characters and actors are really endearing and making the whole thing an enjoyable experience.

It's another example of a TV show/movie made by women with women but for everyone. It doesn't feel like we're force fed some fake agenda BS unlike so many shows/movies lately which fall into this lazy trap, yet it has strong female characters which are well acted and drive the story. I want to see more.
I'm just catching up. On episode 7 (of 8) now. It's been fantastic. It's been renewed for a second season.

Seriously guys, check these reviews out. You're missing out.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Thanks for bumping this. I remembered the promos but forgot the name. I kept looking up MI5 (close, but wrong) and couldn't remember the network either. Got it now.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I just finished the season. It was really good, although I kind of preferred the first half vs. the back half of the series. I read that they filmed the episodes in blocks together rather than the usual way American series are shot so there is not really much of an opportunity to change the story/reshoot if parts of episodes are already finished. Occasionally some US shows are edited as late as the week before telecast (or so I've read).

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Gotta be honest, maybe I let the trailers mislead me too much into thinking that this show is more intense than it really is or maybe I just tend to set the bar for TV shows too high, but I just can't get into it. Watched most of season 1 and will likely finished the season but I may end it after that.

Maybe it's because it only 14+, or the fact the Comer isnt really as chilling as all the reviews say she is. But it just doesnt do it for me.

Back to Sopranos reruns.

CanadienDude

Katie B.
Nov 3, 2004
St. John's, NL
I hated Sandra Oh's character right from the start and was just all around annoyed with her actions throughout the show. I kinda liked Comer as the assassin, however Oh's character just ruined it for me.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Bumping this because i just finished both seasons.
I totally enjoyed it and am in love with villinelle.
I loved how childish and spoiled she acted,thought the show had some good humor.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
It is a fun show, mainly because of Villanelle, and it is the perfect binge watch, due to very short seasons, but season 1 is definitely better than season 2. Season 1 keeps the Eve-Villanelle dynamic fresh and engaging, and it ends on a perfect cliff hanger. Season 2, unfortunately, just reveals too much too soon, and the ending is the only logical conclusion. I still have hope for the show, because it can be interesting again with a new direction, but I do not think there is enough material for season 4.

Mar 1, 2002
I hated Sandra Oh's character right from the start and was just all around annoyed with her actions throughout the show. I kinda liked Comer as the assassin, however Oh's character just ruined it for me.

I have no idea how she was even nominated for the acting award she won, she has ONE expression on her face and voice.

Villanelle makes the show.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I have no idea how she was even nominated for the acting award she won, she has ONE expression on her face and voice.

Villanelle makes the show.

I'm confused how SHE won an Emmy. Ridiculously bad pretend Russian accent on that one.

It is a fun show, mainly because of Villanelle, and it is the perfect binge watch, due to very short seasons, but season 1 is definitely better than season 2. Season 1 keeps the Eve-Villanelle dynamic fresh and engaging, and it ends on a perfect cliff hanger. Season 2, unfortunately, just reveals too much too soon, and the ending is the only logical conclusion. I still have hope for the show, because it can be interesting again with a new direction, but I do not think there is enough material for season 4.

I've only watched the first season, but it looks like they set up the entire series to take place over the course of a very short time period (weeks or a couple months?)

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I'm confused how SHE won an Emmy. Ridiculously bad pretend Russian accent on that one.

I did not mind it too much. I actually thought she wanted to keep it ambiguous, so she kept the essence of the language. I thought it was rather unique.

Her other accents are decent though, at least to untrained ears like mine.
:laugh:

I've only watched the first season, but it looks like they set up the entire series to take place over the course of a very short time period (weeks or a couple months?)

Yeah, each season always happens in a matter of months. What I mean is that each season is only 8 episodes, so it is very fast to get through. It can be done in one weekend, without being too overwhelmed.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Things that only amuse me--since I live in London and have for 20 years

They show the outside of one bar that I used to drink at (episode 2 season 1 31:18 mark) but I can tell they filmed the interiors at another bar I used to drink at a few blocks away from the other bar

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->