Player Discussion: Kieffer Bellows *Waived - Claimed by Philadelphia Flyers*

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Filpula is 1 year and gone
Kovar either A)plays his way into a new contract or B)traded or not resigned
Martin has 2 years
Komarov will be around for the duration

and they still have 10 million in cap space this year. I'm not exactly concerned about these guys. The Ladd contract is the one that eats at me.

With respect to Kovar, I would add that if he struggles in the NHL or adjusting in general to life in North America, I could see them letting him return to the KHL, like Vegas did last year with Vadim Shipachyov.

Like you, I don't see the issue with some of these short-term vets. Lou and Trotz want competition and depth, while they sort out who is the core and where the young players stand. From there they can make longer-term changes and look to fill the remaining holes and needs in the lineup.

Roster/lineup changes can be made relatively easily, based on performance. And it is nice to have some depth, options and experience at both the NHL and AHL levels. If Bridgeport is more competitive than usual, and the prospects down there learn to win and what is required to play in the NHL, that is a plus too.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
With respect to Kovar, I would add that if he struggles in the NHL or adjusting in general to life in North America, I could see them letting him return to the KHL, like Vegas did last year with Vadim Shipachyov.

Like you, I don't see the issue with some of these short-term vets. Lou and Trotz want competition and depth, while they sort out who is the core and where the young players stand. From there they can make longer-term changes and look to fill the remaining holes and needs in the lineup.

Roster/lineup changes can be made relatively easily, based on performance. And it is nice to have some depth, options and experience at both the NHL and AHL levels. If Bridgeport is more competitive than usual, and the prospects down there learn to win and what is required to play in the NHL, that is a plus too.

I can see that with Kovar. I hope it works out.

It's just that everyone here still suffers from PTSD(Post Traumatic Snow Disorder). We've all been beaten down for so long it takes some longer than others to snap out of it.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I can see that with Kovar. I hope it works out.

It's just that everyone here still suffers from PTSD(Post Traumatic Snow Disorder). We've all been beaten down for so long it takes some longer than others to snap out of it.

Lol, I also hope Kovar works out too. If he can just be a serviceable 2C and hold down the fort for at least this season, that would be huge.

That takes pressure off the top line and I have faith that Trotz can put together two solid bottom lines from the remaining players.

There is talent up front but the coaches will need to figure out how the pieces best fit together for maximum benefit.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Did Toronto improve under him? How about NJ?

Can we give the guy a year to critique him or does he have to win the Cup by October to prove his value?

What? Where was I critiquing management? My statements had nothing to do with Islander Management. I was stating that prospects are simply that until they prove themselves at the NHL level. I was addressing the idea on here that trading productive veterans for draft picks and tanking is counter productive. Let's simply agree scouting is not an exact science and is not always a guaranteed predictor of how will player pan out. I am suggesting we take a tempered approach that's all.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Love it, absolutely love it!!! I hope he forces his way onto the roster... can you imagine Wahlstrom plays his way on next year and these 2 on opposite sides, damnnn
Huge Bellows fan, the kid is a sniper, plain and simple. 3 games 2 goals. Even in the game he didn't score, he had 7 shots. I would love to see him make the team.

That being said, I don't think he makes it. Too many forwards on the team. I see the lines as

Eberle- Barzal-Beauvillier
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Ladd-Kovar-Komarov (Filppula is the center or Kovar)
Shuttlebuck-Cizikas-Martin
Johnston, Filppula or Kovar are the extra forwards.

Just no room for Bellows unless he flips out in the rest of the exhibition games, has a hat trick or 2 during the games.

Reactions: Macch

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Huge Bellows fan, the kid is a sniper, plain and simple. 3 games 2 goals. Even in the game he didn't score, he had 7 shots. I would love to see him make the team.

That being said, I don't think he makes it. Too many forwards on the team. I see the lines as

Eberle- Barzal-Beauvillier
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Ladd-Kovar-Komarov (Filppula is the center or Kovar)
Shuttlebuck-Cizikas-Martin
Johnston, Filppula or Kovar are the extra forwards.

Just no room for Bellows unless he flips out in the rest of the exhibition games, has a hat trick or 2 during the games.

Ladd somehow go away and waivers for others.

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

scott99

May 13, 2005
Ladd somehow go away and waivers for others.
I can't see that happening. I wish it would. Also, not hearing anything about JHS so far. Doesn't bode well for his chances to make the team. Bellows is definitely ahead of him now. Even Trotz was saying good things about Bellows. I would trade JHS and get what you can. Or he spends the next 10 years in the AHL/KHL.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Bellows is going to end up in Bridgeport because the bottom 6 is filled with more garbage than Fresh Kills and I am going to break things.
You want Bellows playing in the bottom 6? I feel like he'd be better served development wise playing in a scoring role in the AHL rather than being squarepegged into a checking role in the NHL, myself. If he isn't going to crack the ttop 6, I'd send him down and have him as the first call up when an injury hits the top 6.

Reactions: Macch

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
You want Bellows playing in the bottom 6? I feel like he'd be better served development wise playing in a scoring role in the AHL rather than being squarepegged into a checking role in the NHL, myself. If he isn't going to crack the ttop 6, I'd send him down and have him as the first call up when an injury hits the top 6.
I think third line with second unit power play time is way better for him, it’s not like he isn’t physical or anything

He’ll move up in the line up quickly

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
What? Where was I critiquing management? My statements had nothing to do with Islander Management. I was stating that prospects are simply that until they prove themselves at the NHL level. I was addressing the idea on here that trading productive veterans for draft picks and tanking is counter productive. Let's simply agree scouting is not an exact science and is not always a guaranteed predictor of how will player pan out. I am suggesting we take a tempered approach that's all.
It is more to this which you said:
"This team needs to show the league that the new leadership will make an immediate difference going forward."

Just like with Toronto Lou had a rebuild year where he cut off some of the dead weight and had a low reach draft. He is doing the same thing here but I believe you are saying he shouldn't do that and instead throw everything at significant vet hires. Did I misread you?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I think third line with second unit power play time is way better for him, it’s not like he isn’t physical or anything

He’ll move up in the line up quickly
Just because a guy is physical doesn't mean at age 20 he should be focused on playing a primarily defensive role at even strength. A kid with his offensive upside should be developing in an offensive role. Pigeonholing them to defensive role this young is a great way to stunt their offensive development.

Reactions: PWJunior

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think Bellows and Ho-Sang make the team this year...at some point we are gonna make trades for picksprospects to restock...we aren't in Win now mode so we may see a trade or two in the not so distant future

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I get the excitement and I think he’s looked great too but it’s important to remember that it’s still only preseason. The NHL is a long hard grind.

I truly think he’ll be better off starting the season in Bridgeport (especially since we have some good veterans down there).

Important for players like Bellows and Ho-Sang to be in scoring roles. Our top 6 is pretty much set.

We’re not going to be good this season. I much rather let both Bellows and Ho-Sang play half the season in the AHL and let them dominate and gain confidence

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I get the excitement and I think he’s looked great too but it’s important to remember that it’s still only preseason. The NHL is a long hard grind.

I truly think he’ll be better off starting the season in Bridgeport (especially since we have some good veterans down there).

Important for players like Bellows and Ho-Sang to be in scoring roles. Our top 6 is pretty much set.

We’re not going to be good this season. I much rather let both Bellows and Ho-Sang play half the season in the AHL and let them dominate and gain confidence

The way I see it, Bellows and Ho-Sang will be the replacements for Lee and Eberle when they are traded at the deadline. Kovar can be the full time #2C after Nelson is undoubtedly traded as well.

I think the days of starting rookies on lower lines making them earn their ascension in the roster are gone. It was disastrous for The Swiss Miss and it doesn't have seem to helped any of our kids over the years with Strome yo-yo'd up and down the lines in his early days and even Nelson playing out of position and all over the lineup. Maximize their abilities in roles that they are suited for and put them in a situation to succeed.

Let Bellows and Ho-Sang get gobs of ice time in the AHL and PP action, they'll be up by the deadline and they'll hopefully never see AHL time ever again. Bridgeport isn't devoid of talent anymore, seems like there was a concerted effort to put together a strong team which will only help the development of our kids.

Bellows said he has studied Lee and is a big fan of his, let him soak up as much Ders-ness as possible in training camp so he can work on that in the AHL.

Reactions: BarzyClub and Macch

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Ladd somehow go away...
428ZNrj.jpg

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Just because a guy is physical doesn't mean at age 20 he should be focused on playing a primarily defensive role at even strength. A kid with his offensive upside should be developing in an offensive role. Pigeonholing them to defensive role this young is a great way to stunt their offensive development.
Third lines are not exclusively shut down lines any more

Reactions: ndgolden

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The way I see it, Bellows and Ho-Sang will be the replacements for Lee and Eberle when they are traded at the deadline. Kovar can be the full time #2C after Nelson is undoubtedly traded as well.
he AHL.

I am hoping that the isles keep one of the two.Either Lee or Eberle.

Even if Nelson surprised me and put together a strong contract yr, he is so inconsistent in his efforts, I do not want him getting an extension.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I felt like before preseason he was kind of forgotten because of that year in college and somehow his Winterhawk numbers weren't impressive enough for some. Glad he's showing off what he can do!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad