Player Discussion: Kieffer Bellows *Waived - Claimed by Philadelphia Flyers*

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I think a good majority of us thought he’d be in the nhl by now. Seems to have all the tools. When I watch Wally I see a guy who is an above average skater a really good wrister /one timer really good skill and good size. For whatever the reason we only see flashes of his talent. I hope he puts it all together as talent is not the problem.

Interesting prospect this 19 year old Wahlstrom right? When in an offensive role for a few shifts in the NHL I thought the kid was dangerous and had the desire to throw some hits. Looks like a player for the near future wearing orange, blue and white.

Reactions: scott99

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Interesting prospect this 19 year old Wahlstrom right? When in an offensive role for a few shifts in the NHL I thought the kid was dangerous and had the desire to throw some hits.

Looks like a player for the near future wearing orange, blue and white.

Oh great, another trade with the Oilers

scott99

May 13, 2005
Interesting prospect this 19 year old Wahlstrom right? When in an offensive role for a few shifts in the NHL I thought the kid was dangerous and had the desire to throw some hits. Looks like a player for the near future wearing orange, blue and white.
I think he's going to be a good one. I think he will be like Bellows, have that one breakout year in the AHL, and then be ready for the NHL. I can easily see Bellow AND Wahlstrom having a lot of 25+ goal seasons, and several 30 goal seasons. But patience is needed. Bellows scored 22 goals, and it's not like he was playing with a stud center. Wahlstrom scored 10 as a 19 year old rookie.

Reactions: SI90 and buud

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think he's going to be a good one. I think he will be like Bellows, have that one breakout year in the AHL, and then be ready for the NHL. I can easily see Bellow AND Wahlstrom having a lot of 25+ goal seasons, and several 30 goal seasons. But patience is needed. Bellows scored 22 goals, and it's not like he was playing with a stud center. Wahlstrom scored 10 as a 19 year old rookie.
What I liked about Bellows game in the AHL this season was that a lot more of his goals were from him being in close, taking feeds and cutting to the net rather than taking the pass and just getting off a quick wrister from a low percentage area. Also getting in closer to the hash marks to get a pass. My guess is there's a little more maturity in his game. Know that you have someone covering behind you in case of a turnover (which isn't always a sure thing with the Sound Tigers).

We knew Bellows has a pro caliber shot. We knew he can score on the power play. Now maybe the rest of his offensive game is coming together.

Last edited:
Reactions: PWJunior

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

From your keyboards to the ears of the hockey gods.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There may be a player in here. Bellows showed he could be a NHL'er this season in a critical year for his development. Needs more experience but it may be time he finds a spot on the big club next season.

Reactions: SI90 and PROMputt

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
How's this guy doing? Really liked him as a prospect but haven't followed him much since. Do you guys expect him to get much NHL time next season, and what's his ceiling at this point looking like?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
How's this guy doing? Really liked him as a prospect but haven't followed him much since. Do you guys expect him to get much NHL time next season, and what's his ceiling at this point looking like?

He wasn't in the Islanders's bubble and Wahlstrom is easily ahead of him on the totem pole. I'd be shocked if he played any games in the NHL this year and honestly see him as trade bait.

Reactions: JoVel

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
He's gone in the right deal. I don't really get it, because he's looked good in the few games i've seen him. Has me scratching my head. We need shooters. His calling card is his shot and he's willing to play the whole ice. Honestly, I've gotta believe he just doesn't think the game that well and people have tried to instruct him and it doesn't sink in. Tools are there and the skating can be improved.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i'm one of the fans that liked what i saw. he wasn't by any means the electric type, that draws us out of our seats, but he seems to be what we need. good battle level and shot, and seems to have no real weaknesses (although i can't honestly say that i watched him much).

maybe the organization is trying to 'hide' him so the he isn't a Krak-head in a few years? idk. if i were doing an organizational depth chart, i would place him above MDC, Knuckles, Johnston.

unfortunately for him, LW is probably the most plentiful of all positions, and can be replaced fairly easily. he should work on his faceoffs, maybe increase his worth a bit.

Reactions: JoVel

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
His stats line is not impressive, 0 points this year. But this is when observing is better than boxscore watching. I am actually happy with his progress. He needs to produce, which is obvious, but he shows signs of becoming a pro to me. Slowly gaining Trotz's trust defensively is the key. He's getting there, but still needs positioning. I recall a sequence in the Isles D zone where a D man was pointing at him to cover his area. The right point man. Small things like this are what kids need to learn. But he is finishing checks, starting to gain confidence. One thing also is he needs to speed up his mindset. On another play he hesitated shooting just a split second, had he released it sooner, he would have had a dangerous shot on goal. Difference in AHL to NHL. Overall I do like him more than Dal Colle or Hosang looked. He is not going to be a superstar, but he can become a some skilled, heavy player to play against. I am rooting for him. Think he has a future if the Isles protect him in the expansion draft. I think I am correct in that he will need to be protected. So this will be interesting.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
His stats line is not impressive, 0 points this year. But this is when observing is better than boxscore watching. I am actually happy with his progress. He needs to produce, which is obvious, but he shows signs of becoming a pro to me. Slowly gaining Trotz's trust defensively is the key. He's getting there, but still needs positioning. I recall a sequence in the Isles D zone where a D man was pointing at him to cover his area. The right point man. Small things like this are what kids need to learn. But he is finishing checks, starting to gain confidence. One thing also is he needs to speed up his mindset. On another play he hesitated shooting just a split second, had he released it sooner, he would have had a dangerous shot on goal. Difference in AHL to NHL. Overall I do like him more than Dal Colle or Hosang looked. He is not going to be a superstar, but he can become a some skilled, heavy player to play against. I am rooting for him. Think he has a future if the Isles protect him in the expansion draft. I think I am correct in that he will need to be protected. So this will be interesting.

Didn't realize Bellows had to be protected. It will certainly be interesting. I think due to their contract you have to expose Eberle and Bailey. Should Bellows should real promise this year, we'd be stupid not to protect a cost controlled asset. The question is, what kind of 56 game season would he need to have to warrant protection?

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Didn't realize Bellows had to be protected. It will certainly be interesting. I think due to their contract you have to expose Eberle and Bailey. Should Bellows should real promise this year, we'd be stupid not to protect a cost controlled asset. The question is, what kind of 56 game season would he need to have to warrant protection?
I wasn't sure before this season, but I do like his game to protect him. He plays a heavy game which I like. Also he has enough skill to be a 20-25 goal man. It's just a matter of gaining confidence, he's got to shoot and shoot quickly, try not to think so much out there. This is what he can be, play a power game, don't be fancy, shoot, shoot, shoot. I think he is hesitating a little. The other game he had the puck on his stick for a one timer, but he stopped the puck and then shot. Too late by then. Just a matter of confidence. I recall it took Barzal his 7th game to get his first pt in his Calder year. Hopefully for Bellows when he gets his first pt, it will open up the faucet too.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I wasn't sure before this season, but I do like his game to protect him. He plays a heavy game which I like. Also he has enough skill to be a 20-25 goal man. It's just a matter of gaining confidence, he's got to shoot and shoot quickly, try not to think so much out there. This is what he can be, play a power game, don't be fancy, shoot, shoot, shoot. I think he is hesitating a little. The other game he had the puck on his stick for a one timer, but he stopped the puck and then shot. Too late by then. Just a matter of confidence. I recall it took Barzal his 7th game to get his first pt in his Calder year. Hopefully for Bellows when he gets his first pt, it will open up the faucet too.

Everything about him seems like he's playing the way he should, but for some reason he's still not seeing consistent time. No way someone like Komarov should be playing over him. MDC I can slightly see. Seems like Bellows is already at the level of MDC, just younger and has a chance to hit his ceiling. I feel like Trotz needs to stick with a line, give them PP2 time (at least Bellows, maybe Wahlstrom, liked what I saw from Czarnik though) and stop trying to get blood from a stone (offense from Komarov).

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
Huge opportunity to go on a run here for Kieffer playing with Barzy and Ebs on line 1. I mentioned in the the Lee injury thread that I hope he gets a shot at redemption and what a start tonight was. 2 beautiful goals, 1 snipe and another a power move to the net

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Huge opportunity to go on a run here for Kieffer playing with Barzy and Ebs on line 1. I mentioned in the the Lee injury thread that I hope he gets a shot at redemption and what a start tonight was. 2 beautiful goals, 1 snipe and another a power move to the net
First goal was nice, but I didn't have a big takeaway from it, since it won't be often he's given that much time and space to line up a shot like that. The second goal was what really impressed me. Showed a lot of confidence powering to the slot like that, not to mention strength and skill to pull it off. If he can keep playing like that and playing the system, he'll certainly have earned his spot on the team.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
First goal was nice, but I didn't have a big takeaway from it, since it won't be often he's given that much time and space to line up a shot like that. The second goal was what really impressed me. Showed a lot of confidence powering to the slot like that, not to mention strength and skill to pull it off. If he can keep playing like that and playing the system, he'll certainly have earned his spot on the team.

I was really impressed with that pass up to Barzal before the goal. There wasn't any room for error on that before Barzal fed it back to him.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
As I'd said above, whenever I see him, he looks good. I DID miss the game that he had 8 minutes and blew the game with bad coverage.

I hope this is his chance and that he runs with it. I still think he can. Didn't realize he'd need protection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad