Player Discussion: Kieffer Bellows *Waived - Claimed by Philadelphia Flyers*

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The player I would like Bellows to follow footsteps into the NHL is Kyle Connor. He was sent to the AHL and put up 25 goals in the AHL his rookie season. He is already a proven 31 goal player, and has 7 in 16 this season.

I see them as comparable goal scorers.

Connor is a vastly superior skater.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just checking in on his stats in the AHL this year, looks like he needs more time. Hopefully he will light it up in the 2nd half. Progression is what you want to see. Think he is a big part of the Isles future.

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Just checking in on his stats in the AHL this year, looks like he needs more time. Hopefully he will light it up in the 2nd half. Progression is what you want to see. Think he is a big part of the Isles future.
In his defense, in consecutive years he's gone from the USHL to college hockey to the WHL to the AHL. So if not the 2nd half of this year as you hope, I'd think next year he'll really pick it up in the AHL.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

I just want to see progression like you said.

Next year I expect him to play like MDC did this year in the AHL.

Reactions: dood

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree with you guys, progression is all you want to see. BTW I am not criticizing him. I have high hopes for him as a player and thought he was closer to making the NHL this season. He is a guy I think that once the light clicks on, he will light up the AHL. Sort of like Kyle Connor did in his second AHL abbreviated season. He comes from good hockey bloodlines, this also never hurts.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I liked Kieffer's game today. Physical, looked quick enough, and starting to look like a 1st rd pick. All in all i would be pleased if I am an Islander fan.

Reactions: dood

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I liked Kieffer's game today. Physical, looked quick enough, and starting to look like a 1st rd pick. All in all i would be pleased if I am an Islander fan.

Interesting, I was somewhat unimpressed in what I saw. He had that grade A chance in the first and didn't cash it in. His assist was more of a teammate being in the right place at the right time and cleaning up the garbage. He played hard, which is great, but I wanted to see more of the sniper he was broadcasted to be. From what saw today, I cant see him being ready for the NHLnext year. Still young and hopefully he takes the next step next year in the A and can be ready for the following season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He plays a power forward game, he isn’t on a scoring line right now but I wouldn’t say this hasn’t been ok year he still is progressing.
I think some will be surprised Bellows plays a heavier game than his Bellows name may indicate. Isles fans will love this.
Interesting, I was somewhat unimpressed in what I saw. He had that grade A chance in the first and didn't cash it in. His assist was more of a teammate being in the right place at the right time and cleaning up the garbage. He played hard, which is great, but I wanted to see more of the sniper he was broadcasted to be. From what saw today, I cant see him being ready for the NHLnext year. Still young and hopefully he takes the next step next year in the A and can be ready for the following season.
Agreed, he flubbed a few shots. I was surprised he did considering that's his forte. Agree about the part of young and taking a step fwd. Maybe my expectations were low today given his stats lime, but I see a NHL player here. More convinced after today. Also should get more ice time with MDC up.

Reactions: BTrotts19

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I will add that in my view that the Isles really could use Kieffer Bellows to have a 6-8 year stretch like Andrew Ladd did early on in his career. That would be sweet.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
19 points in 72 games. Seems fine.

Whenever I saw him live, I thought he looked better than the stats. I really wanted to see him just unload with the shot, young Ovi style but he seemed tentative. Defensively he left a lot to be desired but that's not why we drafted him, we have 30 million invested in guys who's job it is to stop the other team.

I expect he will get some confidence that comes with age and repetition and we'll see a big spike in goals this year.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
This will be a big training camp for him. Always one for surprises. Maybe he will be one this summer. There always seems to be 1 or 2 each year.

Any predictions?

I think Otto is going to make a big push up the charts. We could use the C depth and I think he would fit perfectly in Barry's system.

Other obvious ones are Wahl, Keifer, Dobs, etc. I like Otto this year, though. I bet he sees NHL games.

Reactions: bigtim1988 and dood

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Any predictions?

I think Otto is going to make a big push up the charts. We could use the C depth and I think he would fit perfectly in Barry's system.

Other obvious ones are Wahl, Keifer, Dobs, etc. I like Otto this year, though. I bet he sees NHL games.
I can see Otto making a few appearances, since he plays both RW and C. I don't expect his skating to be up to par, but i think his size will be welcome.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am not sure if they will play together, it is probably too much youth/inexperience and they will be mixed with some more experienced players, but offensively a Bellows - Koivula - Wahlstrom line would be a lot of fun to watch with Bridgeport.

Reactions: Treebeard and MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad