Player Discussion: Kieffer Bellows *Waived - Claimed by Philadelphia Flyers*

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Yes you can but other than a 9-game stint (if he is even eligible for that anymore) why bother when its directly before the playoffs?

Sure get his maximum # of NHL games in but AHL playoffs > NHL experience IMO, if you had to choose

He doesn’t need just a nine game stint anymore since he’s 20 and can’t be sent back to juniors. We can freely call him up and send him down as much as we want and for however long we want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nok Hockey

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I’m pretty shocked that they sent him down. I hope that means Ladd will be ready to go because as bad as he’s been, it’d be better than having someone like Kuhnhackl.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Lou is not waiting to evaluate Lee or Eberle. They are both well proven and reliable. HE Will only sign them if all the younger wingers fail. And he will have to pay a higher amount for waiting. LEE especially wants to stay so if you make him.wait till mid winter he's now three months from UFA he's not in a rush to sign. Now he wants to sign because he likes it here and he may get injured. So to me they are both on the way out unless one of them has kids in the school system and a wife who made a bestie here and she doesn't want to move. The bad part is if the ISLES are good and now you are trading both at the deadline even when you are winning. LOU WILL not let them walk after witnessing the JT fiasco

No offense, but you may not have all the facts correct as your stating it to be fact. Speculation is one thing, but playing Eberle, Lee and Nelson together in a contract year and negotiating later in the season is not a good thing for all parties, especially Eberle and Lee. Everyone thinks trade value for rentals will return a first round pick or more. Not so fast in my opinion. For a team that finished 17 points out of the play-offs, and effectively losing your top 3 goal scorers for future picks is somehow going in the right direction, I need more explanations on how that exactly makes the team better. If Barzal is THE team for the next 2-3 years while we cross our fingers through the stock pile of draft picks, and while Barzal suffers through losing season after losing season, how enthused do you really think he will be about re-signing...... The really good ones want to win over anything.

Many on here have advocated for trading all three by the deadline as Bellows and Wahlstrom are scoring wingers nearly ready to take their place. Well, Lets assume Bellows scores 30 and Wahlstrom scores 30 as rookies in season 1. Well, we then have effectively replaced what we have lost and and have zero net gain at that point. That is assuming both players are able to step into and 1st and 2nd line position as rookies...

This is where LL is hopefully moving the non-producers on this team to create space so the Islanders can have real depth in our forward core, and the younger players can move up as they develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I've written in other posts I would sign them both. If they are asking for going rate, I'd pay them. If they want a bonus for playing for a non contender I'd trade them. But to me, Lou has obviously already made his decision. He doesn't want to sign Lee, who said Lou hasn't begun negotiations. LEE has always sounded like a okiposo, a guy not looking to leave. I believe it's also why Andres Lee is not captain right now. A good team has three or four guys that can be captain. LOU WANTS to put his stamp on the team to create his islanders legacy, draft his barzel, keeping Lee and eBerle don't accomplish that. He also has A lot wingers in the system.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
He looked good in camp — and I think is poised to be a call up if there is an injury or one of the other wings faulter. If not, he will be overripe in 2019-20.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
I've written in other posts I would sign them both. If they are asking for going rate, I'd pay them. If they want a bonus for playing for a non contender I'd trade them. But to me, Lou has obviously already made his decision. He doesn't want to sign Lee, who said Lou hasn't begun negotiations. LEE has always sounded like a okiposo, a guy not looking to leave. I believe it's also why Andres Lee is not captain right now. A good team has three or four guys that can be captain. LOU WANTS to put his stamp on the team to create his islanders legacy, draft his barzel, keeping Lee and eBerle don't accomplish that. He also has A lot wingers in the system.

Lou already has a legacy, I would argue Lou would love to see immediate results during the next 2-3 yrs, vs the 5-7 yrs in a full tire sale, which is exactly what you will have with a team of 18 year old draft picks. Just how long do you think Lou plans on being GM? Also, the idea LL has already made up his mind on Lee and Eberle is ridiculous unless you have regular talks with Lou.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
LOU is taking the Tavares approach. "I don't even want to begin talking contract or $ because I don't know if I even want this relationship to continue". IF Lou was interested in a long term commitment he'd be negotiating. It's important, to take people for their actions, not their words when understanding player/ gm/ agent relationship. LOU has other plans for those two players, I'm sure his best hope is a nice 20 22 year old defenseman or goalie. Draft picks being second option. If ISLES get nothing from the young wingers he signs one of them and overlays to do it due to waiting till winter or spring.

Reactions: JayF

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
LOU is taking the Tavares approach. "I don't even want to begin talking contract or $ because I don't know if I even want this relationship to continue". IF Lou was interested in a long term commitment he'd be negotiating. It's important, to take people for their actions, not their words when understanding player/ gm/ agent relationship. LOU has other plans for those two players, I'm sure his best hope is a nice 20 22 year old defenseman or goalie. Draft picks being second option. If ISLES get nothing from the young wingers he signs one of them and overlays to do it due to waiting till winter or spring.

Are you suggesting Lou sent Bellows and Ho-Sang down because he’s planning on trading them?

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009

Whoa, I am glad someone has Lou figured out, except you maybe talking about LOU Grant, I just spoke with Ted and Maury. Mary has yet to return my call.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Yeah, it'd be a pretty crazy idea to want to see how they play under a new a coach, in a new system, with a different lineup, and see how they produce instead of trying to sign them right now to values based on the best offensive season they've had in the past few years (or ever, in Lee's case).

Reactions: JayF and SI90

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Yeah, it'd be a pretty crazy idea to want to see how they play under a new a coach, in a new system, with a different lineup, and see how they produce instead of trying to sign them right now to values based on the best offensive season they've had in the past few years (or ever, in Lee's case).

My point was you state things as facts, where most speculate or offer opinions. Both players have more than enough history to gauge
fair market value.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
YOU don't tell Lee and eberle that you need to see if they are any good without JT before signing them. They are both accomplished players. And both will be charging the team an extra 1.5 to 2 million a year if they were to sign. Players talk all the time about signing with a team that makes them feel wanted. If my boss thinks I'm no good without JT I'm charging him more once I prove I'm still pretty good. Once a player gets close to UFA they all get way over payed except the ones who do a discount due to kids in school like Bailey likely has.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
YOU don't tell Lee and eberle that you need to see if they are any good without JT before signing them. They are both accomplished players. And both will be charging the team an extra 1.5 to 2 million a year if they were to sign. Players talk all the time about signing with a team that makes them feel wanted. If my boss thinks I'm no good without JT I'm charging him more once I prove I'm still pretty good. Once a player gets close to UFA they all get way over payed except the ones who do a discount due to kids in school like Bailey likely has.

Lee has been in the league for 5 seasons, averaging 30 goals per 82 games played. He has played 1-1-/2 seasons with JT. Most Islanders fans know how Lee plays and scores his goals. Eberle has an equally productive track record. I really doubt management is concerned about goal or point production at this point for Eberle or Lee without JT.

I end the hijacking of the Keiffer Bellows thread. Helluva shot #20 has.

Last edited:

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Bit of a surprise since Bellows had a very strong camp but unfortunately there are just to many forwards right now. Hopefully he will light it up in the AHL and be back soon

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
My point was you state things as facts, where most speculate or offer opinions. Both players have more than enough history to gauge
fair market value.
You literally just stated your own opinion as fact in this post. 90% of what we say on here is opinion, and no one takes the time to type IMO every single time. It'd get tedious to read, frankly, and I feel like it's a lot more fun if we trust each other to use our context clues to understand that when someone states an opinion, they intend it as an opinion.

But I didn't say you couldn't gauge their current value. I did point out that maybe it's not a crazy idea that instead of negotiating based on current value, since both players are coming off high marks in production that may not continue under a new coach, system, lineup, culture, etc, you might want to wait to see if their production remains level before signing them to contracts based on that. Lou has even stated that he and the coaching staff still need to fulll evaluate all the vets on the team.

From the Athletic: “We have a lot of players under contract. We have to find out who they are and if they can play before any major decisions can be made,” Lamoriello said. “Myself and our coaching staff are still learning about them."

source:: Islanders' cutdown day: Ho-Sang, Bellows among those sent...

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Just mentioned this in the GDT. With a struggling PP and the team in need of a shooter who can also play left wing I see no reason why a call up would not be warranted. You very calmly explain "you are here while Ladd is out and there is no pressure and will go back down when Ladd comes back". With that being said, if he does great, you keep him up. He is 20 and we have not rushed him through the system. I can't see the harm.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looks like he is doing okay in the AHL. Perhaps he starts lighting it up with now 15 AHL games under his belt. In time, and on schedule.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Just mentioned this in the GDT. With a struggling PP and the team in need of a shooter who can also play left wing I see no reason why a call up would not be warranted. You very calmly explain "you are here while Ladd is out and there is no pressure and will go back down when Ladd comes back". With that being said, if he does great, you keep him up. He is 20 and we have not rushed him through the system. I can't see the harm.
He may be slightly better suited for replacing Ladd but nevertheless I think it would be better to go with MDC or JHS as they have put in more dues down at the Bridge.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bring up MDC and play Bellows with JHS.

Kuhnhackl needs to cool off or an injury needs to occur on the left side before they call up Bellows or Dal Colle in my opinion.

As far as Ho-Sang, there would need to be an injury to Bailey or Eberle unless they are willing to try him on his off wing, which I don’t see happening.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The player I would like Bellows to follow footsteps into the NHL is Kyle Connor. He was sent to the AHL and put up 25 goals in the AHL his rookie season. He is already a proven 31 goal player, and has 7 in 16 this season.

I see them as comparable goal scorers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad