Player Discussion: Kieffer Bellows *Waived - Claimed by Philadelphia Flyers*

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If Tavares isn’t back he definitely makes it next year. Otherwise it’s a maybe. I’m assuming Nelson is probably traded so some depends on whether that’s a forward or defense coming back up there also

Reactions: IODCPiper

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I think regardless if he comes into camp in shape and focused. I think he has a real shot at making the team. But I worry about pushing him too fast. He's a pure goal scorer. Let's not screw him up like wit did with Baily, AB and now Ho Sang

Reactions: Hagstrom

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don’t think next year is going to be his year. Might get a cup of coffee but I think in 2 years he will be ready.

Who knows though. If he comes into camp in great shape and does his thing he may make it depending on our roster.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think regardless if he comes into camp in shape and focused. I think he has a real shot at making the team. But I worry about pushing him too fast. He's a pure goal scorer. Let's not screw him up like wit did with Baily, AB and now Ho Sang

I think he’s way better that any of those guys. I would be surprised if his rookie season doesn’t blow away all 3

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i think it depends on re-build status. if we make a few moves and JT signs, he plays in BP. if we re-build (i think we can do a re-tool), then i bet that he plays with the big boys. certainly looking forward to another shooter on the team. seems like most guys on this team are afraid to break their sticks.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It really kinda' depends on a few what-ifs.

Is Tavares staying, will Beauvillier be moved to center, and will Brock Nelson be an Islander next season?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
i think it depends on re-build status. if we make a few moves and JT signs, he plays in BP. if we re-build (i think we can do a re-tool), then i bet that he plays with the big boys. certainly looking forward to another shooter on the team. seems like most guys on this team are afraid to break their sticks.

Not exactly about where Bellows will play, but let's be honest with each other, even if Tavares re-signs, the team desperately needs a re-tool.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I'll reserve judgment on Bellows but I haven't been impressed with him much, even with his good stats at the WJC. He's really scoring well in Portland this year but nowhere close to leading the league, which you'd expect of a top offensive player in his last year of junior.

He skates okay, good shot, seems to compete hard, seems pretty strong by NHL standards for a hopefully-quick adjustment -- just seems to lack hockey sense and vision and playmaking.

In any case, he's the top offensive prospect we have (well, Ho-Sang probably has higher upside, or close) so let's see how next camp goes for him.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I keep reading he knows where to go and read his linemates well; to find the scoring areas. If true, that’s strong hockey sense.

If he isn’t a good skater, though, he may need to develop that at bridge.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
The only thing that will hold him back is his skating. If he works on it over the summer then I think he will make the Isles.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I keep reading he knows where to go and read his linemates well; to find the scoring areas. If true, that’s strong hockey sense.

If he isn’t a good skater, though, he may need to develop that at bridge.

He can trail Barzal like everyone else and find a nice soft spot. Seems like a fit.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
His stats are super close to former Winterhawk Nino who in 55 games put up 41-29-70 In the year before moving up.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I'll reserve judgment on Bellows but I haven't been impressed with him much, even with his good stats at the WJC. He's really scoring well in Portland this year but nowhere close to leading the league, which you'd expect of a top offensive player in his last year of junior.

He skates okay, good shot, seems to compete hard, seems pretty strong by NHL standards for a hopefully-quick adjustment -- just seems to lack hockey sense and vision and playmaking.

In any case, he's the top offensive prospect we have (well, Ho-Sang probably has higher upside, or close) so let's see how next camp goes for him.

I just looked it up. He is tied for 8th in goals but with 10-15 less games played then everyone else. The leader has 61

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I think he's starting to get over hyped. If he turns into a good 3rd liner we did ok....but it sounds like a lot of ppl here are expecting him to be something much different. IMO they'll be pretty disappointed.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
His stats are super close to former Winterhawk Nino who in 55 games put up 41-29-70 In the year before moving up.

Said it in the prospects thread, but IMO, that's whose stats people should be looking at for Bellows' potential production at the NHL level.

Like Nino, I'd expect Bellows' path to the NHL to be a bit slower than some in this thread believe it will be.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think he's starting to get over hyped. If he turns into a good 3rd liner we did ok....but it sounds like a lot of ppl here are expecting him to be something much different. IMO they'll be pretty disappointed.

I thought he should've been traded after the WJC. He's got a nice shot, but I didn't notice much else with him.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I think he's starting to get over hyped. If he turns into a good 3rd liner we did ok....but I think a lot of ppl here are expecting something much different and will be pretty disappointed.

He's the only prospect the Isles have right now, he had a great WJC, and the Isles SUCK - this is the time to overhype prospects. But all teams have prospects and many rank way higher than the Isles prospects. Let's not pretend there's a savior out there because there is NOT. Bellows is a good prospect for sure, but hardly a sure-thing and not likely an elite player in the NHL (especially not in the next year or two) - just being realistic, I hope I'm wrong.

I just looked it up. He is tied for 8th in goals but with 10-15 less games played then everyone else. The leader has 61

I think he's 39th in league scoring and missed a handful of games (as did most in the WJC) - his goal stats are great, but a 19 year old 1st round pick is supposed to tear-up junior hockey - like Barzal did (for example - not comparing the two). Ho-Sang was 15th in OHL scoring at 19 (coincidentally, Michael Dal Colle was 2pts behind him and a higher points/game!) - and players like Dvorak as well (though he was on a powerhouse London line with Marner-Tkachuk who were even younger)

Anyway, it's hardly a concern. He's scoring a lot on a great team - but hopefully the rest of his game rounds out, including speed/quickness because the NHL is tough.

Reactions: SteveH124

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->