$ Kids' hockey $

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
It is really depressing to see parents sacrificing so that thier kids can play a game. Maybe that is where all the unrealistic expectations come from?....To me the leagues and hockey Canada should step in and start regulating team spending.....If NHL teams can have a spending cap. Why not kids teams?

Don't be depressed by parents making sacrifices for their kids. That is why we have them, after all. Although I agree it's crazy to spend big money on sticks and stuff, it is the parents' responsibilty to choose how and how much money they are willing spend. I don't believe I need to buy a stick for $250 (heck, our boys have rarely had a stick worth over $50) but I'm not about to tell someone else what they can spend.

And hockey isn't the only place you see "the Jones trying to keep up with the Jones". It's the same in every sport. Heck, it's the same in the vehicles we drive, the clothes we buy, .....

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Spending caps wouldnt work. There is no player Salary involved. The costs are based on ice times, game schedules etc etc. With the ice costs being the biggest factor. As far as practices and how much that is the choice the players and family make when they sign with a team. If the commitment level is too much they have the option to stay in house leagues. No one is forced into these things.

Its a shame there are many who cant participate but any that choose to can find many ways to offset costs. I know of several single moms that have been able to make their childs season cost free with very strong fundraising efforts. I would not want to be put into a position where my fees paid would end up subsidizing other players.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
About the stick thing.........

I was one of the few who thought that wood was just fine for atom age kids, then the try-outs. Every single kid had a composite of some kind, some have three or more. There is just no freakin way to explain to a kid why he can't have a composite when everyone else does so away to the store we go....:shakehead

Now my kids couldn't fanthom playing without a composite and my girl has outgrown junior sticks and moved up to intermediates where the price jumps up substantially.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I prefer Composites because of the obvious reasons (weight, performance) but also i find them to be more durable than wood.

Owen Money

Jan 1, 2007
There is just no freakin way to explain to a kid why he can't have a composite when everyone else does so away to the store we go....:shakehead

I see no need to explain it. When my kid tries to pull the "...but Billy has one..." angle on me, I put on my best sympathetic/sad face and say, "Yeah. Billy's parents must REALLY love him."

He usually rolls his eyes and sighs, but he gets the point.

Another option is, "With all the league fees, equipment, etc., this is the stick I'm willing to buy. If it makes you that unhappy, we should think about whether playing hockey is right for you."

Vapour Trail

So I'm hearing that I should be thankful that I'm "only" spending about $300 for my 5 y/o in Mini Mites and my 3 year old in Snowplow Sam?

Used equipment is a wonderful thing for the younger guys. We found a pair of gently used skates on Ebay for $15 shipped that work nicely. Our rink also rents pads, which is cheaper than buying a new set every year.

Totally worth it, though... I think I'll carry the image of his first goal and his first turn as "goalie" with me for the rest of my life. I'm sure the years when he will want to be as far away as possible will be here soon enough...

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
I see no need to explain it.....

Gotta agree. I don't think our 16 year-old would have made it any further in his hockey career if we'd have gotten him a composite from the start. Come to think of it, I don't think he would have loved/respected/appreciated us any more, either.

Everyone wants the best for their kids, but sometimes saying no is the best!

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I see no need to explain it. When my kid tries to pull the "...but Billy has one..." angle on me, I put on my best sympathetic/sad face and say, "Yeah. Billy's parents must REALLY love him."

He usually rolls his eyes and sighs, but he gets the point.

Another option is, "With all the league fees, equipment, etc., this is the stick I'm willing to buy. If it makes you that unhappy, we should think about whether playing hockey is right for you."

I used to think this way and I'm definitely not one of those parents that has to have the best of everything for my kids but with the sticks it does seem different. Maybe it's because they play rep but there's alot of obsession going on with composite sticks.

In Pee Wee there's very few kids that can even shoot hard enough to properly utilize a composite but come to think of it, I haven't noticed anyone using a wood stick at any game they've played all year. They all have them and I mean every single kid playing at this level. You'd have to be pretty strong minded or trying to set an pretty clear example to your kid not to cave in.

I don't agree with it but in the big picture it sadly ends up not being a big expense anyways when you consider everything else you pay for during the year.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I picked up my Oldest Son a composite just so he wouldnt have to deal with any of the "your wearing buddies" type things that some kids can do. He fit in the crowd a little easier. The only stipulation...break it and its back to wood for the rest of the season...That Easton is now about 8 years old and still leans in the corner of the living room, intact. It was passed from the oldest to the middle and then finally to our youngest who only used it for House where he plays out.

I have to thank my lucky stars I dont have any more kids. With Composite goalie sticks of my own I would be hard pressed to deny them.

Tracy

Jul 27, 2002
Hamburg, NY
Visit site
If I had a dollar for every composite stick my son has broken I'd have enough for another one :shakehead . I'm amazed at the Easton that lasted 8 years thruogh 3 kids. I'd jump for joy if my son got through one season without breaking a composite. Usually he's lucky and they break near the blade, so's he can just cut it off and put a new blade in the other end.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
My Youngest plays for The Hawks, PW Major AAA. Your son playing for hte hawks?

Yeah, Even the Pee Wees are breaking at least 2 a season. I am very happy my youngest is a goalie and loves his low cost Sherwoods.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00