Speculation: Kickstarter campaign to buy out Podkolzin's KHL contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonic

Mar 10, 2005
So we know that Podkolzin is committed to his KHL club for the next two years, and because the NHL does not have a transfer agreement with the KHL, the only way out of it would be for the player himself (or his agent) to buy out the contract. I've seen the number $1,000,000 floating around, but I can't find any official confirmation on that, so I think it might be speculation. We also know that he's said that he plans to play out the contract, and that may actually be the best thing for his development. But since it's summer and there isn't much going on, I want to entertain another option, that Canucks fans start a Kickstarter campaign to buy out the final year of his contract with no involvement from the team. I don't believe anything like this has happened in professional sports before, and there are probably good reasons for that which I'm not considering, but I know that I'd be willing to put down $100 or so to get him a year early, and I'm probably not alone.

The campaign would probably have to be structured to have Podkolzin himself or his agent as the beneficiary, with language that would only allow him to claim the money if SKA St. Petersburg accepted the offer and committed to releasing him. It would also need to have a clause that cancelled the whole thing if the NHL (or KHL) stepped in and blocked it, although I'm not sure what grounds they would have to do that. But I'm thinking that this could be done with no risk to the contributors. If it didn't catch on, it dies on the vine and everyone keeps their money. If it did catch on and a significant amount was committed, but the club rejects it or Vasili decides to play out the contract anyway, everyone keeps their money and a positive message is sent to the player that we're excited to have him. Are their any risks or issues with this that I'm not considering? Would the NHL have any grounds or motivation to step in? Could it actually work?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Novel idea however I'd rather let him develop in Russia and come to us fully matured and ready at same time Canucks are actually ready. In 2 years you'd think Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes and whoever we draft in top ten next season will be a stacked core in prime and adding a ready Pods will push us into contender status if all goes well. I'm hoping the complimentary pieces will be in place by then as well. We already have Miller upfront and hoping our defense adds a piece or two by then (Tryamkin, Woo and please Juolevi makes us wrong and show us something).

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Like any prospect taken at 10th OA, he's not expected to be ready to play in the NHL until his D+3 year, so why would you want to burn a year of his ELC in his D+1 year?

demonic

Mar 10, 2005
OK, it's possible I'm the only person in the world that would pay even $1 to see Podkolzin in a Canucks training camp a year early, but I'll respond to a couple of these comments

1. Yes, the world would be a better place if we all donated all of our disposal income to legit charities instead of spending it on silly sports. We could also be donating our time instead of posting on message boards. Or we could do both and try to live a balanced life.
2. I guess this wasn't clear enough, but I was proposing buying out the final year of his contract, not the final two years. Let him play in Russia next season and try to get him here for in 2020.
3. This player may be ready to play in the NHL next season, but we don't know because he can't attend training camp. He appears to play an NHL style game and be physically developed for his age. He might be a rare Russian player that is more effective on small ice. I for one would be curious to find out.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad