Rumor: KHLer Barabanov to talk to NHL teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Has anyone actually seen this guy play? It seems like both this thread and the one on the prospect board are just guys like me who've read stat lines and watched highlights. I'd love to know about his play away from the puck. Can anyone comment on that?

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Has anyone actually seen this guy play? It seems like both this thread and the one on the prospect board are just guys like me who've read stat lines and watched highlights. I'd love to know about his play away from the puck. Can anyone comment on that?
@Caser gave some good insights on the Leafs board. Basically said that he likes Barabanov a little more than Mikheyev, but their talent levels are close. Also mentioned that Barabanov is looking for a top nine RW spot - so despite being a lefty he prefers his off-wing.

190+lbs so he's a stocky build like you mentioned. Timashov, for comparisons sake, was also short but 192lbs and his size was never an issue (handled himself better against physical teams, actually). I watched him at the WC and he definitely embarrassed NHL level defenders, even on team Canada, with his 1on1 ability. Barabanov's been classified by KHL watchers as having a 2-way game, so you're looking at a guy who can probably play on your 3rd line and up, PK, while pitching in offensively (probably looking at a 30-50pt pass-first player).

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Lazy until you're battling for a puck in the corner with Chara...
Chara is the biggest player to ever play in the NHL so that's kind of a disingenuous argument to go right to the most extreme example. By that logic no small players can play in the NHL. As others have already pointed out to you, Barabanov may be small height wise but the guys a tank.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
5'9 200lb pounds is an extremely powerful build for an NHL player. Assuming he's not fat, that's extremely brawny. Not small by any means. If he was a rangy D who needed a long stick to check forwards and defend it would be a disadvantage. But for a winger that just drops his shoulder and goes hard to the net, it's actually the perfect build (apart from a Dusting Penner style giant).

bigduga

Oct 4, 2009
When was the last time an international free agent’s top two were *Toronto and Arizona*?

...how completely different can two markets be?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Guys like gionta and gallagher would eat chara's lunch all the time. The guys chara has a big advantage against are the 6'3+ guys who are used to be taller than everyone who are suddenly half a foot shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->