KHL Trades, Rumors and Free Agent Talk Part 6

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
What is the reason for this? The pay difference between SHL and KHL cannot be very large.
I guess the difference is bigger than you think. Markus Ljungh has a monthly salary of 300,000 SEK (about 28,500 €) plus bonuses in Linköping and his salary is in the top charts. In addition to this, taxes take up about half the salary, so the net income is the biggest reason players go to Switzerland or the KHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
There was a chart of SHL salary budgets posted and most teams, even rich ones, linger around 3,5 million euros. Considering KHL salary cap was set at 11 millions, most KHL teams can probably offer higher salaries than the SHL clubs if they want to.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I guess the difference is bigger than you think. Markus Ljungh has a monthly salary of 300,000 SEK (about 28,500 €) plus bonuses in Linköping and his salary is in the top charts. In addition to this, taxes take up about half the salary, so the net income is the biggest reason players go to Switzerland or the KHL.
So say it is around 300,000 € a season in the SHL. It is an equivalent of ₽20-25 mil, it is a Kartaev type of player in the KHL in the new salary cap era. I would say the KHL´s 2nd line is around ₽40 mil + bonuses, the top line is above ₽60 mil + bonuses, some elite players around ₽90 mil + bonuses.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There was a chart of SHL salary budgets posted and most teams, even rich ones, linger around 3,5 million euros. Considering KHL salary cap was set at 11 millions, most KHL teams can probably offer higher salaries than the SHL clubs if they want to.
Of course, I can not confirm the SHL salary budgets, but I will believe you. I would just correct your KHL data. The KHL salary cap ceiling is set at ₽900 million, so around €11-12 million right now, for basic salaries. But there are also individual & team bonuses. If the player has a bonus equivalent of max 20% basic salary, the bonus is not counted towards the 900 million. The same with club´s bonuses. So, by adding 2x ₽180 million, the real salary cap ceiling/budget is ₽1,26 billion or €16 million. Plus unlimited bonuses for making conference final.

But I get your point... so the salary floor is ₽270 million for basic salaries, so €3-4 million. The floor will grow season to season, by 2023-24 it will be ₽450 million (around €5-6 million) for basic salaries. Of course, there are bonuses too.

Guessing the Swiss NL is the 2nd European league in salaries ranking. They consider the salary cap too, likely a soft one. According to the media, the early rumours are that the ceiling should be CHF 7 million /€6,6 million (plus luxury tax) & the floor around CHF 5 million /€4,7 million.

As @Exarz said, the taxes are very important too.

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
Da Costa signed with Ak Bars Kazan for 2020-21, he played for Lokomotiv in 2019-20.

My bad, i'm so tired I quoted a past press conf...

and it's Kazan who's a serious Cup contender (Am I right ? lol)

He also said to French media He should have been signed by the Oilers in 2017 before being injured.

Past weeks teams from Moskow tried to sign him before Kazan gives him a call

Reactions: vorky

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

On the other hand, SHL teams make more than a million more from tv rights.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Everyone is leaving SKA... they are signing new players thou, but so far...
not star quality players. Well...the only one might be Linden Vey.
Well that's what happens when you used to spend what is now 2x more than the cap. Also I'd say Antipin is a star-quality player.

Last edited:

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Libor Hudacek sign with Nizhnekamsk. I like this guy. He's much better player now than he was with Slovan 5-6 years ago.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Libor Hudacek sign with Nizhnekamsk. I like this guy. He's much better player now than he was with Slovan 5-6 years ago.

But also it is sad, he somehow threw his talent away. There was talk (5-6 years ago), if he really want and if he will really hard work, he could be a NHL player.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But also it is sad, he somehow threw his talent away. There was talk (5-6 years ago), if he really want and if he will really hard work, he could be a NHL player.
If only it was that simple. 175 cm player without spectacular offensive talent making it in the NHL? I don't think so. And he will make a bunch of money playing in the KHL. All he did was not waste his time in the AHL which is the opposite of sad.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Sounds crazy but according to Match TV Kirill Kaprizov and Ilya Sorokin could, theoretically, play for CSKA in the next season as Russians may not be allowed to play in the NHL in the 2019/20 season, and the start date of the next league season remains unknown.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Sounds crazy but according to Match TV Kirill Kaprizov and Ilya Sorokin could, theoretically, play for CSKA in the next season as Russians may not be allowed to play in the NHL in the 2019/20 season, and the start date of the next league season remains unknown.
For now it's all rumours, but rumour has it the NHL wants to start the next season in 2021. As a player who trained and prepared under those unreal conditions now if I have a choice to play in September or January, which option do I choose? Hmmm...

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Rather curious how they will fit both Sorokin and Kaprizov under the new cap hit, or do they have have that much cap space available?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Rather curious how they will fit both Sorokin and Kaprizov under the new cap hit, or do they have have that much cap space available?
No, they do not have, but there will be more roster moves/transfers along with all off-season and not just CSKA. According to the Russian insiders, they have 17 players in the list & basic salaries at ₽899 million. But Sekač (₽60 million) should be moved. I have not noticed the rumours about other players, just that Traktor is interested in Kalinin (₽85 million)

Reactions: Exarz

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, Rudenkov - Plotnikov trade is definitely a surprise and a sign the league is indeed changing. I was pretty lukewarm about Yakupov transfer and Kagarlitsky rumors because ultimately, they failed with SKA and were players the club doesn't need. Plotnikov, meanwhile, was an integral part of SKA, legitimate top-6 forward and age-wise, not even bound to nosedive in production. Subsequently, correct me if I'm wrong, but Plotnikov becomes the highest-profile Russian player Amur has ever had.

Rudenkov, of course, is a big loss on the ice for Amur but I even called him "SKA material" last summer so really, there was no doubt he is going to end up on such team sooner or later. In the cap world (and in Amur's budget world), he is the more cost-effective player but Amur got someone who is, at the end of the day, still the better player and one of a class that would otherwise be out of reach for Khabarovsk (pun kinda intended).

It's hard to say who is the real winner of this trade. Looking pragmatically, both teams lost something to gain something and both players move to worse situations for them. But it is definitely a fresh and exciting one.
Holy shit, the saga continues. So, even being the local lad, Plotnikov didn't want to play for Amur so they flipped him to Magnitka for rights to Denis Smirnov (Colorado's 6th round pick currently in NCAA), Yegor Zamula (signed by the Flyers), Yegor Spiridonov (Sharks' 4th rounder), Saveli Olshansky and Vladimir Butuzov (Admiral's top-6 forward in recent memory). If you asked me Amur just made it out like bandits. 4 (!) high-end prospects and a top-6 forward for aging Plotnikov, that's a good deal. Oh, and they got some money, too.

Naturally, guys like Zamula are never going to play in Khabarovsk either so they flipped him and Spiridonov to SKA immediately for Karpov and Kablukov, 2 more of SKA's cap dumps.

So, in the end, this is by far the most interesting trade chain in the history of the KHL, thank you salary cap. As it stands now:

To Amur: Karpov, Kablukov, Butuzov, Olshansky, rights to Denis Smirnov and some money.
To SKA: Rudenkov, Spiridonov, rights to Zamula.
To Magnitka: Plotnikov.

With information at hand, I'd say Amur did great, they turned 1 roster player into 4. SKA did ok under the circumstances, they shed salary and got good young pieces back. Magnitka, to me, was just taken for a ride.

Reactions: TommySalo

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I will just add to @SoundAndFury. According to the Russian telegram sources, Amur got money for Plotnikov & this money should be used for monetary compensation (25% of the deal) to Karpov & Kablukov whose deals should be terminated by Amur. Both Karpov & Kablukov as unrestricted free agents should sign with Metallurg. So, in reality (if true but all details are not publicly available, see a value of the financial compensation by Magnitka) Metallurg Mg should indirectly pay financial compensation to Karpov & Kablukov (de iure Amur) & both will sign with Magnitka for less money (due to salary cap ceiling).

This off-season is really interesting.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I will just add to @SoundAndFury. According to the Russian telegram sources, Amur got money for Plotnikov & this money should be used for monetary compensation (25% of the deal) to Karpov & Kablukov whose deals should be terminated by Amur. Both Karpov & Kablukov as unrestricted free agents should sign with Metallurg. So, in reality (if true but all details are not publicly available, see a value of the financial compensation by Magnitka) Metallurg Mg should indirectly pay financial compensation to Karpov & Kablukov (de iure Amur) & both will sign with Magnitka for less money (due to salary cap ceiling).

This off-season is really interesting.
Ah, so in reality, it's just Amur serving the purpose for the bigger teams. Now that makes way more sense, what leverage would they ever have to actually win trades with Magnitka and such.

But then they basically only got Butuzov and Olshansky for Rudenkov? Now that's kinda sad. I was somewhat enthusiastic about the little guy outsmarting someone for once but in reality, they just did what they were allowed to do by the big boys. Back to reality.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Long awaiting news for me - Alexander Yeryomenko will stay for one more year with Dinamo Moscow. He deserved new contract IMHO

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
All the recent "trades" just make me wonder why KHL just didn't give teams complimentary buyouts this summer. Asking Amur (soon Vityaz too?) to buy out players seems stupid to me.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
All the recent "trades" just make me wonder why KHL just didn't give teams complimentary buyouts this summer. Asking Amur (soon Vityaz too?) to buy out players seems stupid to me.
Do you mean like "compliance buyout in NHL, which do not count against the cap"???

If so, then I will surprise you. The KHL allowed their clubs such buyouts this off-season, which do not count against the cap. See article 51 (7) k of the KHL Legal Regulations.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Do you mean like "compliance buyout in NHL, which do not count against the cap"???

If so, then I will surprise you. The KHL allowed their clubs such buyouts this off-season, which do not count against the cap. See article 51 (7) k of the KHL Legal Regulations.
Except KHL clubs prefer to deal with the situation in the old way - threaten players to send them rot away in the VHL if they don't agree to "mutual termination". See the situation with Beck and Andrighetto.

The same situation with SKA/Magnitka/Amur, they probably have some deepwater reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->