KHL Trades, Rumors and Free Agent Talk Part 6

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It is a hard salary cap mechanism´s effect. Sharipzyanov also signed for three years. But I agree it is a rare thing there.
Hardly. If you look at something like SKA, Dyblenko, Tokranov, Khafizulin, Kuzmenko and Plotnikov signed for 4 years, Hellberg, Kagarlitsky, Karpov for 3 years. Teams realized they need to lock down the young Russian players because constant UFA status inflates their value, all this way before the cap was even in the making.

Jokerit themselves have gone 3 years before as well quite a few times (Joensuu, O'Neil, Regin, Moses). So it's hardly a new trend. Or a trend at all, considering this is the only 3-year contract on the team, currently. Just like Sharipzyanov.

One could say maybe Pakarinen isn't the kind of player who warranted a 3-year contract in the pre-cap era but again, the contract Joensuu signed in 2016 shows that had always happened once in a while.

Last edited:

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
It is a hard salary cap mechanism´s effect. Sharipzyanov also signed for three years. But I agree it is a rare thing there.

I don't think it is, in this case. Pakarinen has young twins who are scheduled to start school this fall. This is the kinda homecoming deal guys tend to sign when their kids get to a certain age.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
It looks like this soap opera will end soon as Milos Riha will be revealed as the new head coach of Barys Nur-Sultan. He has mission impossible ahead of him IMHO!

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
This is getting exciting. SKA having to ship out Yakupov, now Plotnikov and in coming days probably Kagarlitsky. Maybe the worst days of hoarding 6-7 lines are over. Also personally would like to see Yakupov rejuvenating his career and again becoming a flashy scorer.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Now with the upcoming hard salary cap, some insiders reveal the players´ basic salaries (counting in 900 million ceiling) on a daily basis. So, we know the salaries just minutes after the signing is published. How serious are these insiders? Do they have access to the KHL CIB? Who knows, but it is definitely interesting. Would be cooler if they create some KHL version of CapFriendly.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
This is getting exciting. SKA having to ship out Yakupov, now Plotnikov and in coming days probably Kagarlitsky. Maybe the worst days of hoarding 6-7 lines are over. Also personally would like to see Yakupov rejuvenating his career and again becoming a flashy scorer.

Yeah, but it won't happen. Yakupov is just as dumb as Barbie doll.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Now with the upcoming hard salary cap, some insiders reveal the players´ basic salaries (counting in 900 million ceiling) on a daily basis. So, we know the salaries just minutes after the signing is published. How serious are these insiders? Do they have access to the KHL CIB? Who knows, but it is definitely interesting. Would be cooler if they create some KHL version of CapFriendly.

It's hard to say, but they probably have some sources. The league has to control club budgets after all, so more and more people get those financial data, and leaks are inevitable.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It's hard to say, but they probably have some sources. The league has to control club budgets after all, so more and more people get those financial data, and leaks are inevitable.
Yeah, KHL CIB has all financial data, so all you need is a password :D

As you say about the clubs´ audits, yeah, they have been doing it in recent years. So, the league knows all details of the clubs´ finance. There are no up-to-date data available, but guessing the overall budget of all clubs combined is around ₽45 billion.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, Rudenkov - Plotnikov trade is definitely a surprise and a sign the league is indeed changing. I was pretty lukewarm about Yakupov transfer and Kagarlitsky rumors because ultimately, they failed with SKA and were players the club doesn't need. Plotnikov, meanwhile, was an integral part of SKA, legitimate top-6 forward and age-wise, not even bound to nosedive in production. Subsequently, correct me if I'm wrong, but Plotnikov becomes the highest-profile Russian player Amur has ever had.

Rudenkov, of course, is a big loss on the ice for Amur but I even called him "SKA material" last summer so really, there was no doubt he is going to end up on such team sooner or later. In the cap world (and in Amur's budget world), he is the more cost-effective player but Amur got someone who is, at the end of the day, still the better player and one of a class that would otherwise be out of reach for Khabarovsk (pun kinda intended).

It's hard to say who is the real winner of this trade. Looking pragmatically, both teams lost something to gain something and both players move to worse situations for them. But it is definitely a fresh and exciting one.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Mozyakin and Koshechkin - these guys are brilliant. I'd like to Mozyakin to stay with Magnitka for one more season. Anyone one know what is his status right now?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Mozyakin is right now unrestricted free agents reportedly negotiating with Magnitka on extension.

Reactions: rohky

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Mozyakin is right now unrestricted free agents reportedly negotiating with Magnitka on extension.

Thanks... BTW, will Konstantin Komarek be the first Austrian to play in the KHL? According to some journos he will sign with Dinamo Riga.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Thanks... BTW, will Konstantin Komarek be the first Austrian to play in the KHL? According to some journos he will sign with Dinamo Riga.
No, he would not be the first Austrian in the KHL. I remember two Austrians, D Andre Lakos in Traktor & G Bernd Brückler in Torpedo and Sibir.

Btw, there is a short interview with Brückler before the KHL World Games in Vienna.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Andre Lakos and Bernd Bruckler (quite infamously) have both played in the KHL.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
More and more Swedish players are coming to the league. How many of them in the KHL already? The latest signings are Joel Lassinati (Sochi) and Oscar Lindberg (Dinamo Moscow).

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl signed forward Stephane Da Costa from Avtomobilist Iekaterinbourg (press release from May 1st)

In the KHL, Da costa notched 144pts in 152 games and 31 pts in 47 playoffs games

He's the first signing for the Loko, one of the Gagarine Cup contender

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
More and more Swedish players are coming to the league. How many of them in the KHL already? The latest signings are Joel Lassinati (Sochi) and Oscar Lindberg (Dinamo Moscow).
I would say 19-21, something like this

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
It was actually over 30 last year. Considering league's contraction the number of Swedes in it has definitely grown quite significantly.
I only count players ready for upcoming season. I think many of them, like Rosen, already left. That's why i think its closer to 19-21 now. But maybe I'm wrong

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What is the reason for this? The pay difference between SHL and KHL cannot be very large.
Well, there cannot be any other reason than that the pay difference is there. I think one of the things that has changed compared to, say, 10 years ago, is that sources of cheaper imports like Liiga or Extraliga have dried up. Just not much KHL-level talent there and those remaining are getting paid by a couple of local big teams. So I'd wager the thinking of KHL clubs has changed from "maybe we can save some money getting cheaper imports" to "solid imports are worth the investment because we can't out-pay the big team for the Russian players anyway". To put it simply, I think clubs realized good imports are worth the money. And that's how a club like Sochi gets SHL's top goalie who definitely doesn't come cheap.

This is, of course, all conjecture, it's a really interesting topic. Sadly, we have very little real insight from the inside.

I only count players ready for upcoming season. I think many of them, like Rosen, already left. That's why i think its closer to 19-21 now. But maybe I'm wrong
It's kinda silly to count that way, isn't it? Half of the teams haven't filled their import slots yet. Whatever the number is at the moment it's meaningless, meanwhile, recent seasons saw a steady rise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl signed forward Stephane Da Costa from Avtomobilist Iekaterinbourg (press release from May 1st)

In the KHL, Da costa notched 144pts in 152 games and 31 pts in 47 playoffs games

He's the first signing for the Loko, one of the Gagarine Cup contender
Da Costa signed with Ak Bars Kazan for 2020-21, he played for Lokomotiv in 2019-20.

Reactions: DangeRouss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad