Speculation: KHL Team Negotiated With Nichushkin

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
"Yes, now it can be said: we negotiated with Dynamo Moscow to buy out rights on Nichushkin (1), but for obvious reasons we could not finish the deal. Our team had several meetings in Moscow to discuss the matter. We were ready to do whatever it takes to return to Traktor the rights on Nichushkin. Unfortunately, Dynamo set a very steep price tag, and we also cannot afford his contract. (2) I am not going to disclose any concrete sum, but the talks were about more than a hundred million rubles a year [Note: more than $1.5 million USD]. It’s a lot of money for us and we’re not ready to spend such a sum for one player only."

(1) This says they talked to Dynamo, not Nichuskin.

(2) Says they can't afford the transfer and a contract. It does not say who the talks where with but a more reasonable assumptions are that the talks where with Dynamo because that was just subject of the conversation in the beginning of the quote.

Yes I am aware this tweet happened:

https://twitter.com/A_Kalnins/status/774200217667244033

However until I hear from someone who doesnt make the claim Girgensons is going back to the KHL, only to get called out by Girgensons himself followed I wont worry too much. Also this guy didn't even spell his name right. I'm sorry but not being able to get a name right in a tweet and not fixing it when you notice is a sign of a reporter who just shoots out rumors as soon as he hears anything without double checking.

So outside of a translated paragraph where Nichuskin is not the subject of the negotiations but rather his rights are and a tweet from a guy who thinks all russians are going home is there a better source that says Nichuskin has asked for a contract

We know Nichushkin sat beside the Traktor GM for Traktor's first two home games. We also know the Traktor GM knew how much Nichushkin wanted for a contract. We know Traktor negotiated with Dynamo about Nichushkin's rights.

Yet you want to believe Traktor's GM never had any negotiations with Nichushkin.

Huh.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I use to wish we drafted him over Bo but now seeing another russian wanting to jump ship back to that place makes me glad we didnt even if he ends up better then Bo

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
We know Nichushkin sat beside the Traktor GM for Traktor's first two home games. We also know the Traktor GM knew how much Nichushkin wanted for a contract. We know Traktor negotiated with Dynamo about Nichushkin's rights.

Yet you want to believe Traktor's GM never had any negotiations with Nichushkin.

Huh.

I can't connect the dots can you please translate this to english for me

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I can't find anything regarding a 1.5 million contract offer from Traktor.

But, saying that, apparently the Chelyabinsk governor/Team President went to Moscow to negotiate for Nichushkin's rights (unsuccessfully). Imo, that trip to Moscow ain't happening unless there was a legitimate chance that Nichushkin would sign with Traktor.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm starting to wonder why Traktor traded away his KHL rights in the first place, now they're unwilling/unable to get them back from Dynamo.

Were they looking to pick up an asset, thinking Nuke probably wouldn't return this early? :dunno:

So Traktor doesn't think Nuke is worth $1.5 mil, Nuke doesn't want to play for Dynamo, I'm guessing......and he ALSO hasn't yet re-upped with the Stars despite the regular season being a month away.

This little triangle will prove to be entertaining in the coming weeks, I'm sure.

Or it'll be resolved tomorrow, who knows.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I can't find anything regarding a 1.5 million contract offer from Traktor.

But, saying that, apparently the Chelyabinsk governor went to Moscow to negotiate for Nichushkin's rights (unsuccessfully). Imo, that trip to Moscow ain't happening unless there was a legitimate chance that Nichushkin would sign with Traktor.

The 1.5 mil offer was what Dynamo wanted from Traktor, for Nuke's negotiating rights, no?

"Over 100 million Rubles", I think, was the reported valuation. Traktor balked at the number, and still we wait. Works out to about $1.5 mil USD, I think.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I dunno. Apparently (and I don't know where) it was stated that Nichushkin was willing to sign with Traktor for 1.5 million.

What is known is that Dynamo was asking the same amount for his rights and Traktor turned them down.

Anyways, Nuke recently chilling at his old arena.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm starting to wonder why Traktor traded away his KHL rights in the first place, now they're unwilling/unable to get them back from Dynamo.

Were they looking to pick up an asset, thinking Nuke probably wouldn't return this early? :dunno:

So Traktor doesn't think Nuke is worth $1.5 mil, Nuke doesn't want to play for Dynamo, I'm guessing......and he ALSO hasn't yet re-upped with the Stars despite the regular season being a month away.

This little triangle will prove to be entertaining in the coming weeks, I'm sure.

Or it'll be resolved tomorrow, who knows.

They haven't got 1.5m now, it's likely they didn't have a spare 1.5m then.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Huh.

He played youth there and was a top 10 pick in the NHL. Getting an invite to sit by the GM in a home coming is pretty normal. Nuchuskin wants a contract like anyone else. Im sure Gm told him he would love him on the team but just because he got invited to the game and a couple vague.

Do I think he talked to the gm? yes. Do I think he has been negotiating and asked for 1.5 million? no and there is no definate source linking him to that

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Were they looking to pick up an asset, thinking Nuke probably wouldn't return this early? :dunno:.

They haven't got 1.5m now, it's likely they didn't have a spare 1.5m then.

Actually, Traktor was a lot richer a few years ago when Nichushkin was on the team. Nontheless, he made it well known that he was as good as gone to NHL, so Traktor traded his rights for at least something, even though it wasn't much.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He played youth there and was a top 10 pick in the NHL. Getting an invite to sit by the GM in a home coming is pretty normal. Nuchuskin wants a contract like anyone else. Im sure Gm told him he would love him on the team but just because he got invited to the game and a couple vague.

Do I think he talked to the gm? yes. Do I think he has been negotiating and asked for 1.5 million? no and there is no definate source linking him to that

Traktor's GM is the source. (Google translate is the English source)

"Of course, we have made every effort to return to Chelyabinsk Nichushkin. Alas, the price "Dynamo" put up for the rights to forward his personal contract would cost the "Tractor" in the exorbitant amount. I will not specify it, but talking about the figure more than 100 million rubles a year. This is serious money for our club, at the moment we, unfortunately, are not willing to spend it on one player, "- said Senichev."

100 million a year. "A year" is the giveaway. That's Nuchushkin's contract number.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Actually, Traktor was a lot richer a few years ago when Nichushkin was on the team. Nontheless, he made it well known that he was as good as gone to NHL, so Traktor traded his rights for at least something, even though it wasn't much.

Thought it was reported then and recently when talking about possibly trading his right Dynamo paid quite a bit for Nukes rights, which is part of why they want a steep price now?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Traktor's GM is the source. (Google translate is the English source)

"Of course, we have made every effort to return to Chelyabinsk Nichushkin. Alas, the price "Dynamo" put up for the rights to forward his personal contract would cost the "Tractor" in the exorbitant amount. I will not specify it, but talking about the figure more than 100 million rubles a year. This is serious money for our club, at the moment we, unfortunately, are not willing to spend it on one player, "- said Senichev."

100 million a year. "A year" is the giveaway. That's Nuchushkin's contract number.

Yeah and as someone pointed out its reasonable that he asked his agent so that he could know whether or not its even worth trading for his rights, which they don't have.

A gm going to an agent and being like "hey around what is your guy looking to make?" is no the same as the 2 parties entering negotiations.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah and as someone pointed out its reasonable that he asked his agent so that he could know whether or not its even worth trading for his rights, which they don't have.

A gm going to an agent and being like "hey around what is your guy looking to make?" is no the same as the 2 parties entering negotiations.

Why are you so dead set on denying the obvious here?

You're trying to claim a GM and agent discussing contract terms isn't negotiation.

Huh.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Why are you so dead set on denying the obvious here?

You're trying to claim a GM and agent discussing contract terms isn't negotiation.

Huh.

Why are you so set on making the assumption that because he was with a gm he is negotiating with a team that doesnt even hold his rights?

To answer your question I like hearing the full story before picking a side and a tweet from a bad source and a google translated paragraph that at no point directly mentions there where negotiations is not enough for me to think there is a threat of Nichuskin going to Russia

Last edited:

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Well, even if there was a threat, this kind of nips that in the bud unless some prices go down, Traktor wants him, they just can't afford to acquire his rights on top of his salary. And there has been no indication at all Nuke is willing to play for the team that currently holds his rights. Its one thing to return to the KHL to play for his home town team, especially if he wasn't going to get much playing in the NHL this year. Either way his leverage, if this was all just a leverage play is much weaker

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

These are some incredible mental gymnastics, I'll give you that much.

It might not be formal negotiations, but it's pretty obvious what is happening here.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Why are you so set on making the assumption that because he was with a gm he is negotiating with a team that doesnt even hold his rights?

To answer your question I like hearing the full story before picking a side and a tweet from a bad source and a google translated paragraph that at no point directly mentions there where negotiations is not enough for me to think there is a threat of Nichuskin going to Russia

I'm using Occam's Razor. The facts point to my assumption being the simpler explanation.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I can't make any assumptions about how tampering within the KHL is viewed by the head office, but Nichushkin coming back would be a big thing for the league. If Dallas is the only party that would lose if there was tampering (SKA would get whatever fee they thought was appropriate from Traktor), I don't think the KHL would be too sympathetic.

Assuming Traktor is run by people who are smart enough to figure that out and who have negotiated in grey area/not so grey area situations as I assume all hockey people do, they really have nothing to lose by contacting him or his agent.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
These are some incredible mental gymnastics, I'll give you that much.

It might not be formal negotiations, but it's pretty obvious what is happening here.

Its not mental gymnastics. I don't consider simply asking an agent what a player is looking for as negotiation. Thats them just seeing what is available. If that were negotiations then we would have a story about every player in the league entering negotiation with every GM in the league. Having a rough ball park of what every player that slightly interests you is asking for is the first thing you should do. Player don't go walking around with signs that say "looking for 1.5 million a year". If you think you could use him but need to make adjustments prior to signing a player, which is the case here because they don't even hold his right, asking his agent what he is looking for is completely reasonable

Wanting to know what you are looking for financially != negotiating with a player. There has been nothing credible that has said he has been negotiating with Traktor or any KHL team. If a solid source comes out and says there have been negotiations or says that Nichuskin approached them letting them know his salary demand rather then the team inquiring through the agent, then yes I would worry and consider it a legit threat. Until then there is nothing going on

Last edited:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'm using Occam's Razor. The facts point to my assumption being the simpler explanation.

Or you have an insane bias against Nichushkin and think he is a terrible player because he wasn't an all star at 20. These rumours are pointless and typically go no where. Its the same for every russian player that needs a contract(see Kucherov) and it just adds unnecessary ****

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Or you have an insane bias against Nichushkin and think he is a terrible player because he wasn't an all star at 20. These rumours are pointless and typically go no where. Its the same for every russian player that needs a contract(see Kucherov) and it just adds unnecessary ****

Yeah, Troy is definitely biased against Nuke, and I disagree in his assumption Nuke wants to leave the NHL, there's a difference between want and willing to do something, but there's no way the GM even explores the option of trading for Nukes rights if he hadn't talked to his agent about whether or not Nuke would even play, Traktor just doesn't have that kind of money at the moment. Whether you want to call it negotiations or a conversation the two parties connected.

Since the NHL and KHL have no transfer agreement there is no tampering involved, just frowned upon to go after guys with NHL contracts which Nuke does not have at the moment.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Why do you keep talking about rumors? This isn't a rumor.

Maybe it was a week ago, but when a GM comes out and says he was negotiating with a player and the team holding the player's rights, it goes from rumor to fact.

I admit a bias against Nichushkin as a player, but you are obviously so far the other direction. Comparing this situation to others where rumor mongerers talk about KHL interest is nothing but wishful thinking on your part. How many other Russian players get to the point where a KHL GM is openly discussing their efforts to sign a player and disclosing where negotiations stood?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Why do you keep talking about rumors? This isn't a rumor.

Maybe it was a week ago, but when a GM comes out and says he was negotiating with a player and the team holding the player's rights, it goes from rumor to fact.

I admit a bias against Nichushkin as a player, but you are obviously so far the other direction. Comparing this situation to others where rumor mongerers talk about KHL interest is nothing but wishful thinking on your part. How many other Russian players get to the point where a KHL GM is openly discussing their efforts to sign a player and disclosing where negotiations stood?

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Nicely done Troy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad