Speculation: KHL Team Negotiated With Nichushkin

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Same number of points but Janmark played 6 fewer games. Janmark also scored 15 goals to Nichushkin's 9. Then in the playoffs one player had a stat line of 12GP 2-3-5Pts; the other's was 10GP 0-1-1Pt.

Regarding Spezza, if memory serves Nichushkin got more chances with Spezza early but due to ineffectiveness got moved around the lineup trying to find the right spot for him. Janmark had more time with Spezza because the line played well when they were together and so the coaching staff stayed with it.

Yeah that was while Ruff was trying to move Nuke over to the LW, who prefers RW, and Sharp at RW who plays better at LW. But yeah Im not saying he didnt look rough last year, especially at the beginning, he was definitely off. He had just missed almost all of the previous year though, on top of playing his off wing. More time early only lasted a few games, he was demoted fairly early, and yeah he deserved it, he kept getting blindsided with big hits game after game, and wasnt using his size at all, you didnt seem him crashing to to the net at all. He looked off most of the year. Thats kind of my point though, Nuke playing badly, with a bad shooting percentage (down by 4 points from his rookie season), and spending a bunch of time in the bottom 6 still put up ok points.

Honestly he would have been better off being able to play in the AHL instead of trying to develop at the NHL level all along, but his KHL contract wouldn't allow it, something else he gets blamed for, but was beyond his control. Look how many other players struggle to play in the NHL in their teens and early 20s. Most dont even make the league until around 22-23. I think I would give him another season or even two before saying he's a bust.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
And if this is the case, the Nichushkin should be traded. Dallas has a lot of forward depth, and players coming up.

No if thats the case then keep them and see which turns out better. That being said either is available for a Klingberg partner, but neither is being shopped

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Same number of points but Janmark played 6 fewer games. Janmark also scored 15 goals to Nichushkin's 9. Then in the playoffs one player had a stat line of 12GP 2-3-5Pts; the other's was 10GP 0-1-1Pt.

Regarding Spezza, if memory serves Nichushkin got more chances with Spezza early but due to ineffectiveness got moved around the lineup trying to find the right spot for him. Janmark had more time with Spezza because the line played well when they were together and so the coaching staff stayed with it.

Look at their p/60. Its pretty much the same. Janmark got more minutes per game, and Nuke shot at like half the rate he did as a rookie. His shot isnt the best but thinking it he is a career 6-7% shooter is crazy

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It's the KHL.

Deals can be made.

With what? If Traktor had money, they'd have bought the rights back from SKA and this would be a very different story reported with different language. The content as I've read is that Traktor doesn't want to pay Nichushkin 1-1.5m dollars which is not that much money in NHL or KHL terms.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
With what? If Traktor had money, they'd have bought the rights back from SKA and this would be a very different story reported with different language. The content as I've read is that Traktor doesn't want to pay Nichushkin 1-1.5m dollars which is not that much money in NHL or KHL terms.

The impression I got was that it was just too much, both with the cost to acquire and the 1.5 million for one player

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Right. Nichushkin set a price, and it wasn't a very high price. $1.5 million is probably not all that much more than the Stars are offering him. If he set the price that low, it tells me he would gladly return to Traktor.

Traktor can't afford him, but it sure looks like Traktor made an effort and Nichushkin tried also to make it work.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
He didn't earn his last contract. Why give him a big raise?

His last contract was 950,000ish, 2.5 million if he met his bonuses (dont think he did). He did enough to earn that much. Once again most players his age wouldn't have played any games in the NHL, and 34 points his rookie season was pretty good.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Look at their p/60. Its pretty much the same. Janmark got more minutes per game, and Nuke shot at like half the rate he did as a rookie. His shot isnt the best but thinking it he is a career 6-7% shooter is crazy

I wasn't directly comparing the two, FWIW. I was making a point that at this point he is still more potential than producer for the Stars.

As far as his shooting percentage, that will be an interesting thing to follow. He isn't really a volume shooter though, which is what you normally see from better than average point producing forwards who still score goals with relatively low shooting percentages. I don't hold out much hope for him being better than 10%, but we shall see.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I wasn't directly comparing the two, FWIW. I was making a point that at this point he is still more potential than producer for the Stars.

As far as his shooting percentage, that will be an interesting thing to follow. He isn't really a volume shooter though, which is what you normally see from better than average point producing forwards who still score goals with relatively low shooting percentages. I don't hold out much hope for him being better than 10%, but we shall see.

The only reason Nichushkin's shooting percentage was as high as it was is most of his attempts missed the net.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So is Nuke basically in limbo?

I get the impression that he'd rather play for Traktor than anywhere else, but can't because they sold his KHL playing rights to Dynamo when he left for Dallas in the first place.

So now, he's playing hardball with the Stars, who may have already moved on (Hudler), but he doesn't want to play for Dynamo either and can't sign with Traktor until they re-acquire his rights.

To be a fly on the wall during any Nuke negotiations with Dallas. He's got zero leverage.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Man you guys are over reacting. Nill player hard ball with Dillon and Eakin as RFA and he is likely doing the same thing with Nichuskin. As long as he isn't signed the Russian media will try and come up with stories of his return just like Toronto does woth every Toronto born player

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
And if this is the case, the Nichushkin should be traded. Dallas has a lot of forward depth, and players coming up.

Let's play pretend. Hudler, Sharp, Hemsky, and Eaves all leave next year because maybe Nill wants to use the cap to get his goalie white whale. Or maybe they just want to go elsewhere. Who are Dallas' best forward prospects? Faksa and Janmark are solid. After that, what wingers does Dallas have to take over those veteran roles? Dickinson, Shore, and Gurianov project to be solid contributors, but it's not like they're gonna explode in their rookie years.

Dallas doesn't have forward prospect depth, which is why Nuke's development is actually kind of important to Dallas. I'm not saying this means we shouldn't trade him for something better. I'm just saying if Nuke actually develops into even half of what Stars fans hoped, he projects to contribute more than most of Dallas' forward prospects (most of whom are considered good two way players but not elite scorers).

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The kid has the tools, was hurt for a while, has good value around the league (NYR fan are salivating at this guy in trade posts)....just a matter of how much one pays for potential rather than actual production.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Man you guys are over reacting. Nill player hard ball with Dillon and Eakin as RFA and he is likely doing the same thing with Nichuskin. As long as he isn't signed the Russian media will try and come up with stories of his return just like Toronto does woth every Toronto born player

While this is true, the supposed allure of the KHL wasn't nearly as apparent or as much of a possibility with those two as it is with Nuke, who is clearly still close to his home team.

Yes, the Russian media, is where the bulk of these tweets or speculation about Nuke's status are coming from....but why is that? Why is there nothing on this side of the Atlantic with regards to any ongoing negotiations, or how far apart the two sides clearly are? Has Heika reached out to Nuke's camp (or Nill) for any comment?

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Russian media? These recent quotes were from Traktor's GM. Nichushkin negotiated with Traktor. Nichushkin gave Traktor a low number to hit. That wasn't the Russian media rumor mongering. Nichushkin's price says he'd gladly leave Dallas for pretty much even money. Amazing how you continue to blow off all of this smoke that's been around Nichushkin for two years now.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
While this is true, the supposed allure of the KHL wasn't nearly as apparent or as much of a possibility with those two as it is with Nuke, who is clearly still close to his home team.

Yes, the Russian media, is where the bulk of these tweets or speculation about Nuke's status are coming from....but why is that? Why is there nothing on this side of the Atlantic with regards to any ongoing negotiations, or how far apart the two sides clearly are? Has Heika reached out to Nuke's camp (or Nill) for any comment?

Yeah, right after the Huddler signing, and both camps said discussions are ongoing. When do we ever hear about deals Nill is making before they happen. Benn's extension, we suspected, but nothing was leaked before the announcement at party in the park, also see the Sharp deal. Any rumors on Nuke have come from Traktors GM so far, not Nukes agent. As far as him willing to go home to play in Traktor, well it is his home town, but notice there has been no rumors of him negotiating with the actual KHL team that holds his rights. Also we have no idea what Nill offered, he plays hardball with RFA, so it very well could be not much higher than the Minimum qualifying offer. The leaked price point of 1.5 is encouraging in that it doesn't sound like his camp is thinking he deserves crazy money though, makes me think Dallas is offering the minimum, maybe a million, if it was 1.5 he might have already signed by now

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Russian media? These recent quotes were from Traktor's GM. Nichushkin negotiated with Traktor. Nichushkin gave Traktor a low number to hit. That wasn't the Russian media rumor mongering. Nichushkin's price says he'd gladly leave Dallas for pretty much even money. Amazing how you continue to blow off all of this smoke that's been around Nichushkin for two years now.

Because there hasnt been smoke around Nichuskin for 2 years now and the Russian to Russian is something that is brought up for every player and almost always holds no value. Also nothing has come from Nichuskins camp. This is all speculation from the media. Is there definite proof that he even asked for a 1.5 million dollar contract? or is that likely just a tittle that will catch some eyes and draw cite hits?

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Because there hasnt been smoke around Nichuskin for 2 years now and the Russian to Russian is something that is brought up for every player and almost always holds no value. Also nothing has come from Nichuskins camp. This is all speculation from the media. Is there definite proof that he even asked for a 1.5 million dollar contract? or is that likely just a tittle that will catch some eyes and draw cite hits?

This came from Traktor's GM. What motivation does he have to lie about negotiating with Nichushkin but ultimately being unable to afford him?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
"Yes, now it can be said: we negotiated with Dynamo Moscow to buy out rights on Nichushkin (1), but for obvious reasons we could not finish the deal. Our team had several meetings in Moscow to discuss the matter. We were ready to do whatever it takes to return to Traktor the rights on Nichushkin. Unfortunately, Dynamo set a very steep price tag, and we also cannot afford his contract. (2) I am not going to disclose any concrete sum, but the talks were about more than a hundred million rubles a year [Note: more than $1.5 million USD]. It’s a lot of money for us and we’re not ready to spend such a sum for one player only."

(1) This says they talked to Dynamo, not Nichuskin.

(2) Says they can't afford the transfer and a contract. It does not say who the talks where with but a more reasonable assumptions are that the talks where with Dynamo because that was just subject of the conversation in the beginning of the quote.

Yes I am aware this tweet happened:

https://twitter.com/A_Kalnins/status/774200217667244033

However until I hear from someone who doesnt make the claim Girgensons is going back to the KHL, only to get called out by Girgensons himself followed I wont worry too much. Also this guy didn't even spell his name right. I'm sorry but not being able to get a name right in a tweet and not fixing it when you notice is a sign of a reporter who just shoots out rumors as soon as he hears anything without double checking.

So outside of a translated paragraph where Nichuskin is not the subject of the negotiations but rather his rights are and a tweet from a guy who thinks all russians are going home is there a better source that says Nichuskin has asked for a contract

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'm guessing the GM had to have at least asked the agent how much Nuke wants, before looking into trading for his rights.

Yeah that I would not be surprised by, but a GM asking the agent what a player wants before trading for rights is not the player has negotiated with a KHL team but rather the KHL gm is not dumb and wants to see if trading for the rights is even worth it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad