Speculation: KHL Team Negotiated With Nichushkin

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Most Russian players do this to give them an edge in negotiations. Nothing to see here yet.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
This is a non issue to me. Nill took Dillon and Eakin until near the start of the season. Until Nuke starts missing games I'm not worried about him

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I'm not super firmiliar with him but his stats don't look great. What is he expecting to get ?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'm not super firmiliar with him but his stats don't look great. What is he expecting to get ?

He was 3rd on the team in a/60, 5th in p/60 while shooting at an abysmal rate.

On a team with Benn Seguin and Spezza being outside the top 3 in offensive stats per 60 is expected.

He didn't get PP time and while he did look sluggish at the start he started to look like his rookie self at the end of the playoffs.

So a former top 10 who hasn't played bad but missed a year with injury I assume he is asking for a 2 million a year on a bridge and Nill is likely trying to get him a little lower

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I would bet all Russian free agents get approached by the KHL to go play there. Nothing to see here.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He was 3rd on the team in a/60, 5th in p/60 while shooting at an abysmal rate.

On a team with Benn Seguin and Spezza being outside the top 3 in offensive stats per 60 is expected.

He didn't get PP time and while he did look sluggish at the start he started to look like his rookie self at the end of the playoffs.

So a former top 10 who hasn't played bad but missed a year with injury I assume he is asking for a 2 million a year on a bridge and Nill is likely trying to get him a little lower

I doubt he's asking for 2 million. I think he's asking for 4ish on a medium length deal that's why there is a hold up

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
From the article:

We were ready to do whatever it takes to return to Traktor the rights on Nichushkin. Unfortunately, Dynamo set a very steep price tag, and we also cannot afford his contract. I am not going to disclose any concrete sum, but the talks were about more than a hundred million rubles a year [Note: more than $1.5 million USD]. It’s a lot of money for us and we’re not ready to spend such a sum for one player only.

I agree with Traktor that he probably isn't worth $1.5 million.

We know very little about the negotiations between Dallas and Nichushkin's people, but from where I sit he has very little leverage. And big picture, I hope Nill doesn't overpay him. He had a promising rookie year, missed a whole year of development, and didn't respond quite the way you would have hoped this past season.

He has a lot of tools but right now it's one of those 'no toolbox' situations. He is far from putting it all together, though legit potential is still there. Probably the biggest worry from my end is how good Spezza still is and how Nichushkin didn't take advantage of playing on his line.

Good player, but I honestly wouldn't worry about Dallas' ability to win despite his absence if Nichushkin ends up missing any time or signing in Russia.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I doubt he's asking for 2 million. I think he's asking for 4ish on a medium length deal that's why there is a hold up

I doubt he's asking for that much. That is out of this world crazy stuff for him right now. Even if he were only asking for $3 million Dallas probably has zero interest.

Personally I think the hold-up is playing time and role. I think he wants the chance to show his worth, and Dallas wants him to prove it.

Just my opinion.

And from Dallas' end, he has been given lots of opportunities and hasn't really done a lot with them.

There is a reason why a lot of Stars fans were upset that Janmark was benched in the playoffs for a few games rather than sitting Nichushkin. His value to the organization at this point still lies in his potential rather than on ice performance. I hope they keep dangling that carrot and don't give in.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
From the article:

We know very little about the negotiations between Dallas and Nichushkin's people, but from where I sit he has very little leverage. And big picture, I hope Nill doesn't overpay him. He had a promising rookie year, missed a whole year of development, and didn't respond quite the way you would have hoped this past season.

He has a lot of tools but right now it's one of those 'no toolbox' situations. He is far from putting it all together, though legit potential is still there. Probably the biggest worry from my end is how good Spezza still is and how Nichushkin didn't take advantage of playing on his line.

Good player, but I honestly wouldn't worry about Dallas' ability to win despite his absence if Nichushkin ends up missing any time or signing in Russia.

I disagree I would give him a 2 million bridge in a heart beat. He is definately worth it

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I doubt he's asking for that much. That is out of this world crazy stuff for him right now. Even if he were only asking for $3 million Dallas probably has zero interest.

And from Dallas' end, he has been given lots of opportunities and hasn't really done a lot with them.

There is a reason why a lot of Stars fans were upset that Janmark was benched in the playoffs for a few games rather than sitting Nichushkin. His value to the organization at this point still lies in his potential rather than on ice performance. I hope they keep dangling that carrot and don't give in.

Janmark is marginaly better than Nichuskin. Their offense is a wash and Janmark's ability to defend comes from the fact that he has twice the pro experience

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

I agree. I'm thinking Dallas wants a "show me" contract, and Nuke wants a pay me contract.(not like 7 million)

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
From the article:

He had less time with Spezza and is still two years younger then Janmark, and had the same number of points. His defense improved, he's trying to elevate the puck more (wonder if maybe this isn't why his shooting percentage was so bad), and the last few playoff games he started to show a more physical side. Last year wasnt what we hoped for, but I still think its way too early to give up on him.

Do agree, Dallas can and will win games with or without him

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Janmark is marginaly better than Nichuskin. Their offense is a wash and Janmark's ability to defend comes from the fact that he has twice the pro experience

No, he is not marginally better than Nichushkin. He brings an all around game that Nichushkin has yet to develop (and most likely IMO never will). He plays with an intensity that Nichushkin hasn't shown in the NHL at any point yet. And yes, he is much better defensively.

The reason why Janmark is so much better defensively is debatable, but if you want to use experience as a primary factor then I would expect to see bigger gains by Nichushkin in this area since his arrival to the league. I don't doubt his desire to put in a good effort defensively when he's on the ice. What I question is his ability to learn while off it and implement changes in his mentality to that aspect of the game.

Anyways, I don't know exactly what the market is for a player like him at the moment. I do think that Dallas wants him to prove what he's worth rather than being a big, skilled, former top 10 pick with lots of potential due a significant raise.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He had less time with Spezza and is still two years younger then Janmark, and had the same number of points. His defense improved, he's trying to elevate the puck more (wonder if maybe this isn't why his shooting percentage was so bad), and the last few playoff games he started to show a more physical side. Last year wasnt what we hoped for, but I still think its way too early to give up on him.

Do agree, Dallas can and will win games with or without him

Same number of points but Janmark played 6 fewer games. Janmark also scored 15 goals to Nichushkin's 9. Then in the playoffs one player had a stat line of 12GP 2-3-5Pts; the other's was 10GP 0-1-1Pt.

Regarding Spezza, if memory serves Nichushkin got more chances with Spezza early but due to ineffectiveness got moved around the lineup trying to find the right spot for him. Janmark had more time with Spezza because the line played well when they were together and so the coaching staff stayed with it.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
I think Nill & the rest of the management team wants him signed at about 1.1-1.4M per while Nichu wants in the 2-2.75M per range. I think they will sign a 1-2 year contract at 1.6-1.75M per season.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
He is much better defensively than he was his first year, but there are people who will rush to blame Nuke. There was a goal in the playoffs that come to mind and everyone online was blaming nuke because he was standing in the slot and blaming him for not covering the far side. Nuke was were he was supposed to be because Spezza had gone to the far side, and everyone ignored that Janmark was also just standing around when the Blue closest to him passed the puck deeper into the zone to the guy who got a pass through past goligoski to the cutter coming in on the far side.

My point is there was a lot wrong with the defense there, yet Nuke got the blame from a lot of posters, despite he made the right play and covered the slot for his center who was skating towards the blue line along the far boards.

Janmark and Nuke are different kinds of players, with two different styles. It would be nice if Nuke continued to improve using his size to his advantage, and he did not look like himself most of last year. Towards the end of the Blues series his play did start to look better though, so there are reasons to be encouraged. If Val can play badly, and still wind up with the same number of points as Janmark who played well. What happens if Val plays offensively like he did his rookie year next year.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Is it breaking news that Traktor can't afford both the cost of his rights and his salary? If he isn't negotiating with whoever has the rights, IIRC it's SKA, I'm not the least bit concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad