KHL Season 2019/20

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Why hasn't there been more information about pre season schedules for each team? Should they start playing in a couple of weeks.
The KHL website has all information about pre season schedule. They released it two weeks ago, if not earlier.

Reactions: VP

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
It's nice that they're trying to build up some hype but it would make more sense to at least stabilize before adopting such cringy language... Broadening hockey horizon, making a footprint in hockey... By not being able to find a home in three years and having horrible attendance? LOL. I hope this is a permanent move and the club will now be based in Shenzen. Low attendance is a problem that could be solved over time but only after securing a home arena and making sure that the team stays in ONE f***ING CITY where locals can meet and embrace it.

Though I assume they'll be in Shenzen only for a season and then go back to somewhere else. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Reactions: Omark and Rigafan

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
The problem with Shenzhen is that it’s in Chinas tropical belt, so I’d say chances of drawing from a clueless crowd of every day Chinese citizens might be just as, if not more challenging than in the other 10 places they have tried to pitch their tent without success.
On the other hand, Shenzhen is the border to Hong Kong, so maybe they are speculating on drawing expats from there. (Though given the political climate in HK i wouldn’t assume that all too many people are running at the chance to make the trip to China just cause of a gimmicky hockey team)

Reactions: hansomreiste

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Isn't this getting abit silly now?

If they are going to be some Chinese travelling team they really need to drop the BEIJING part of their name. Shenzen is almost 1,400 miles away from Beijing.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
They are Beijing based team & they will play in Beijing. There is only one reason for having a few early games in Shenzhen. As we know, China is having a year of anniversaries, so there’s not allowed to hold big events in Beijing before October. The same reason why the NHL cancelled their games in China. So, it is not fair to criticise KRS management for it. Even "the big" NHL is not able to hold games in September in China!

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
How many games have they played in Beijing the last seasons though? Or was last year a year of anniversaries as well?

Reactions: Rigafan

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
SKA fires Vorobyov and promotes Kudashov to head coach. That is going to be painful to watch.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jokerit travel kilometers in the KHL era (from jokerit.com):

• 2019-20: 58 300 km
  • 2018-19: 50 700 km
  • 2017-18: 54 800 km
  • 2016-17: 53 300 km
  • 2015-16: 50 100 km
  • 2014-15: 40 700 km
So much for cutting travel costs...

Reactions: Exarz

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Wouldn't it make sense to put a more recognizable faces on the poster? Like maybe someone who has won NLA scoring title and happens to play on one of the teams?

Reactions: Exarz

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Jokerit travel kilometers in the KHL era (from jokerit.com):

• 2019-20: 58 300 km
  • 2018-19: 50 700 km
  • 2017-18: 54 800 km
  • 2016-17: 53 300 km
  • 2015-16: 50 100 km
  • 2014-15: 40 700 km
So much for cutting travel costs...

Twelve times on the road for the first time I believe, on the other side the away tours getting shorter should benefit the level of the play.

Omark

Tesla stock
Aug 5, 2011
Espoo, Finland
It's nice that they're trying to build up some hype but it would make more sense to at least stabilize before adopting such cringy language... Broadening hockey horizon, making a footprint in hockey... By not being able to find a home in three years and having horrible attendance? LOL. I hope this is a permanent move and the club will now be based in Shenzen. Low attendance is a problem that could be solved over time but only after securing a home arena and making sure that the team stays in ONE ****ING CITY where locals can meet and embrace it.

Though I assume they'll be in Shenzen only for a season and then go back to somewhere else. Please tell me I'm wrong.
This. So much this.

There was actually a bit of a momentum in Beijing when Kunlun started. Attendance figures were good, close to 10k per game. Then the team played like a month in 3k ”arena” in Shanghai which ruined everything. After they came back to Beijing, attendance dropped to 3k level.

And this Shanghai thing happened every single season, not just on september. This expansion is a total disaster just because of this. KHL management can be so terrible it’s actually insane.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Vityaz Podolsk has beaten two Liiga-teams Pelicans and Saipa with scores of 8-1 and 7-1. This is 15-2 in two games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
and it means nothing. We don't know the rosters of the finish teams, and I may be wrong, but isn't their season starting later too?
Vityaz was missing Jerabek, Semin and Jormakka so it was not their ideal lineup. I don't really know if Saipa was playing all their best players.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Should I write a season preview like in years before? The board seems kinda dead. Press that "Like" if you think it's worth the bother.

Is it against rules to create several accounts to like a post? Asking for a friend. If there is anything better than KHL season 2019/20, it is the previews for 2019/20 season.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
and it means nothing. We don't know the rosters of the finish teams, and I may be wrong, but isn't their season starting later too?

Yes, Liiga season begins September 12th. Pelicans have only two wins in the pre-season from 8 games and one of those during the one day mini tournament in Rauma. They're looking at a lot tougher season than last season. SaiPa meanwhile have still some roster issues and according to reports from their fans, the team just collapsed suddenly in the second period, nothing was working and that was it for that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad