KHL Season 2018/2019

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Oh, right when Avangard fans were at last hopeful of a positive change with all that has happened throughout the summer. Now our arena is facing a collapse. What a timeline.

What is the alleged reason for this, though? It's quite modern. Is it something about the ground it was built on (like one of the arenas from WC sinking gradually) or the structure itself? What would be possible relocation options for Omsk?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Oh, right when Avangard fans were at last hopeful of a positive change with all that has happened throughout the summer. Now our arena is facing a collapse. What a timeline.

What is the alleged reason for this, though? It's quite modern. Is it something about the ground it was built on (like one of the arenas from WC sinking gradually) or the structure itself? What would be possible relocation options for Omsk?
Yeah, there was so much [overblown] hype around Ava this year with Hartley and all and this comes up. Quite funny.
Well it's been reported they are going to start the season in either Sochi or Mytyshchi.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Championat.com list 8 possible arena, if the team has to move. But why not Espoo Finland? Metro areena just lost the last team they had, so it would be pretty much free at the moment. And Jussi Salonoja (owner of the arena) previosly wanted to get a team in KHL (before Jokerit).
I don't think players want to move thousands of kilometers to Finland. That's not what they had signed up for. Not to mention all the other complications in setting the team in another country you have next to no contacts with in a month.

Idea of playing in SKK Blynova was debunked by Sushynsky already.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

Well being built with Abramovich dodgy money it might not have been the most 'clean' construction company!

But in seriousness I hope they find a place to play and don't have to drop out.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Well being built with Abramovich dodgy money it might not have been the most 'clean' construction company!

But in seriousness I hope they find a place to play and don't have to drop out.
LOL wtf is "Abramovich's dodgy money"? It sounds like some Pavlov dog responce. I know you are daily fed the propaganda, but still... Use your brain. Abramovich is a successful head of a bog enterprise. Not more or less "dodgy", "stained" ot "fishy" than any other comparable in any country. You might not like him, but he is no idiot. And all he did was giving his money to build the thing. Whatever unspeakable crimes you want to give him credit for this has no bearing on the actual case of the construction of the arena. If anything the people who built it are responsible. Or do you imply the construction com0anies that build for the Abramovichs of this world anywhere are not "clean".

As it was sort of a charity project for Abramovich he might have not even checked thoroughly, but it not his job. The general contractor, persons connected to it and state officials who signed the project off should answer the questions. Let's see what happens in Russia. I know a lot of countries(including small ones ;) ) where nothing comes of it and failed construction projects become a black hole.

Anyway I am more worried about the team. They were eager to change a lot this season. Let's hope the arena thing is no shot in the leg.

Reactions: alce

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Since the feedback was pretty nice last year I will do a season preview this year as well. Thanks to the KHL board for getting rid of some teams so this won't take so long :sarcasm: I will also take some time to pat myself on the back because even I was surprised how many of my predictions came true last year (Barys missing PO, Spartak and Severstal making it, etc.). The only team I really failed to crack last summer was Neftekhimik. Having said that, they are probably in for rude awakening this year. So here we go.

#1. SKA. Got slightly worse

The situation is rather similar to last year, SKA lost a few proven stars and replaced them with players who are undoubtedly good but unproven as far as the highest expectations go. Carrying Amur is a bit different when making a difference while playing 13 minutes for SKA. At the end of the day, my main worry would be 40 year-old Datsyuk and Prokhorkin as my 1-2 punch in the middle. That isn't great. Whatever you think about Shipachyov at this point to me, he is an amazing player and losing him stings. His direct replacement is Byvaltsev which just isn't nearly at the same level yet. Yakupov and Kruchinin to replace Shirokov and Kovy seem pretty adequate (considering you can't just go get another Kovy) but we will see how it works out. Also not a fan of having 3 head coaches behind 1 bench.

#2. CSKA. Got slightly worse

CSKA stayed the same at center, a lot of changes on the wing but they seem fairly adequate (Nichushkin, Petrov, Shumakov (for whom there are no takers so far) to Hansen, Slepyshev and Vey) but the one that stings is losing Kiselevich. CSKA did their best and got Dahlbeck to replace him but he is a different player and Kiselevich will indeed be missed. Ozhiganov left to the Leafs as well but he was terribly misused anyway so it won't be such a big loss.

#3. Jokerit. Got worse

The best case scenario for Jokerit would be if Tolvanen failed to make Nashville and came back. Surely a full season of having Steve Moses improves things but he isn't enough to replace the losses of both Tolvanen and Palola. It's a pretty big loss. AHL guy Alex Grant to replace Matt Gilroy is a cat in the bag addition as well. Overall, if Jokerit doesn't add and Tolvanen doesn't come back they are at least one quality player shy of what they were at the beginning of last season.

#4. Ak Bars. Got slightly worse

Ak Bars obviously felt pretty good about their team after winning the cup and keeping Azevedo or Garipov was a priority. They only really lost Glinkin (replaced by an arguably even better player in Padakin), Ohtamaa (somewhat replaced by Pedan) and Tokranov (whom they didn't feel they need to bother replacing, I guess). Now granted, Ak Bars is a team with a lot of young players who will grow, few old players who will decline and they will have Burmistrov for a full season so all in all, it wouldn't surprise me if they were even better than last year. However, their defense seems very young and unproven (only 2 guys over 25 y.o.) with the loss of a few solid players.

#5. Lokomotiv. Got worse?

Now lets get this out of the way - I am not a fan of Kudashov. The hockey his teams play is terrible. It's a shame so many good young players had to play in that system for so long. Having said that, Loko did lose some ok players like Mosalyov, Kadeykin or Lyubushkin. However, I'm pretty sure their young players are capable of replacing them and getting rid of some vets is overdue. They also got Sannikov to somewhat replace Kozun (even though they are different players so it's hardly a lateral replacement) and even more importantly, Salak and Desharnais are improvements in key positions. So on one hand, Loko obviously lost some name recognition but at the same time, I think they might have a better season than they did last year if the young guns deliver and Salak is what he can be.

#6. Traktor. Got worse

It's pretty ridiculous to lay down those verdicts how everyone is worse but at the same time, there is just no running away from it. First of all, losing a very successful head coach to SKA in an assistant role is just a sad reality of today's KHL. German Titov hasn't had any success in the KHL yet so I wouldn't expect him to elevate this team either. Also, Traktor lost arguably the best goalie in the league to the NHL and their best D to their direct opponent Avto and replaced them with Sudnitsyn (who is ok for 1B role) and.. well hmm nothing yet, really. Someone like Igor Isayev getting a bigger role. Lastly, Traktor did a good job finding replacements for their forwards: Alex Bergstrom is probably an upgrade over ancient Max Yakutsenya, as is Lapenkov over rapidly declining Igor Petrov. Old alumni Anton Glinkin was brought back to replace "stolen" Kruchinin (again, solid job) and Ryan Stoa is absolutely a proper replacement at Videll's spot. A lot of sympathy to this team for doing a decent job but this offseason definitely punched out a few holes.

#7. Avtomobilist. Finally, a team which got a lot better

Avto has massively improved for the 2nd year in a row and I'm really excited they gave this roster to a competent coach, there was nobody who did more with less than Andrei Martemyanov, his Amur played great hockey, played to its strengths, fantastically utilized its players and even if this is a coach with only 1 season of KHL experience he absolutely deserved a chance with a strong team like this. The fact that it is Avto rather than some powerhouse of the league will ease the transition as well. Now, regarding the roster, they had a very deep one as it is. Basically, the changes were 1) getting rid of the vets you are better off without (Megalinsky, Simakov, Kulyash, Mikhnov); 2) replacing imports who didn't work (King, Parenteau, Cajkovsky) with actual KHL stars. So joining are Dawes, Sexton, Da Costa (some serious potential to have the best line in the league here), Ivan Vishnevsky, Georgi Belousov and Vyacheslav Litovchenko. Huge upgrades in each and every case except for Mikhnov maybe who is still an ok player and Cajkovsky who is good but fills a specific role as an import while it is covered pretty well by Russian players on the roster.

#8. Magnitka. Got slightly better

Magnitka took a real hit last summer and has started recovering some of its former strength by getting the old band back together: Antipin and Bereglazov are back; with additions of Rylov and Vereshchagin the defense doesn't look like a rag-tag bunch it was a year ago. Offensively, it depends on how Dennis Rasmussen is able to replace Kovar. If he can click between Mozyakin and Wolski everything will be fine. Pakarinen and Kulyomin are solid depth even if I don't think they are some kind of game breakers. Varfolomeyev is really one guy who sticks out as a wildcard improvement as he is one of the best young forwards in the league and if he can find his space beneath the sun (unlike Shenfeld last year) Magnitka will have a deep, potent team. They do seem to lack depth at center though, star power on defense and their actual stars are getting older so don't expect a massive rise in the standings.

That's around 1/3 of the league, the rest will come in other parts in the upcoming days.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
#9. Neftekhimik. Got worse

Just like I said before, Neftekhimik won all the gambles last year. Whatever they touched turned to gold. Piganovich came out of hiatus and had the best season of his career; young players delivered; imports led the team, even Nazarov somehow fit this team instead of ruining it... But the lightning doesn't strike the same place twice so I think they are bound to drop pretty hard this year. Neftekhimik didn't have the biggest turnover but more or less every player they had to they replaced with a worse one. Looks like Timur Fatkullin on loan from Ak Bars is the replacement for Piganovich, Finnish trio Nattinen, Puustinen and Ruohomaa is there to replace Sexton, Hanzl and Everberg. Polasek is in for Gustafsson. Those imports are solid players but they have to replace some of the better players in all of European hockey so that cannot go too well.

#10. Salavat Yulaev. Got better

For starters, giving a head coach role to a guy who hasn't been a head coach at pro or even major junior level ever before is a pretty dodgy strategy. However, if we ignore that the roster SYu has is so much better than they did at the beginning of last season. They got rid of some terrible vets since Kulyash, Zubov, Lisin, Yunkov are just the nameplates, shadows of what they supposed/used to be. While they added guys approaching the peak of their careers like Tkachyov, Kugryshev and Burdasov. Metsola will be in goal, newcomers Kadeykin, Khokhryakov and Osnovin will play in the center. The defense will be thinner since they didn't bother to find a replacement for Loginov but since they didn't use Maxim Osipov anywhere close to his proper capacity last year I think they will be fine. Overall, SYu got a whole lot more solid in goal, way better at scoring and suffered marginal losses on defense. With the right coaching, this is a pretty impressive team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Since the feedback was pretty nice last year I will do a season preview this year as well. Thanks to the KHL board for getting rid of some teams so this won't take so long :sarcasm: I will also take some time to pat myself on the back because even I was surprised how many of my predictions came true last year (Barys missing PO, Spartak and Severstal making it, etc.). The only team I really failed to crack last summer was Neftekhimik. Having said that, they are probably in for rude awakening this year. So here we go.

#1. SKA. Got slightly worse

The situation is rather similar to last year, SKA lost a few proven stars and replaced them with players who are undoubtedly good but unproven as far as the highest expectations go. Carrying Amur is a bit different when making a difference while playing 13 minutes for SKA. At the end of the day, my main worry would be 40 year-old Datsyuk and Prokhorkin as my 1-2 punch in the middle. That isn't great. Whatever you think about Shipachyov at this point to me, he is an amazing player and losing him stings. His direct replacement is Byvaltsev which just isn't nearly at the same level yet. Yakupov and Kruchinin to replace Shirokov and Kovy seem pretty adequate (considering you can't just go get another Kovy) but we will see how it works out. Also not a fan of having 3 head coaches behind 1 bench.

#2. CSKA. Got slightly worse

CSKA stayed the same at center, a lot of changes on the wing but they seem fairly adequate (Nichushkin, Petrov, Shumakov (for whom there are no takers so far) to Hansen, Slepyshev and Vey) but the one that stings is losing Kiselevich. CSKA did their best and got Dahlbeck to replace him but he is a different player and Kiselevich will indeed be missed. Ozhiganov left to the Leafs as well but he was terribly misused anyway so it won't be such a big loss.

#3. Jokerit. Got worse

The best case scenario for Jokerit would be if Tolvanen failed to make Nashville and came back. Surely a full season of having Steve Moses improves things but he isn't enough to replace the losses of both Tolvanen and Palola. It's a pretty big loss. AHL guy Alex Grant to replace Matt Gilroy is a cat in the bag addition as well. Overall, if Jokerit doesn't add and Tolvanen doesn't come back they are at least one quality player shy of what they were at the beginning of last season.

#4. Ak Bars. Got slightly worse

Ak Bars obviously felt pretty good about their team after winning the cup and keeping Azevedo or Garipov was a priority. They only really lost Glinkin (replaced by an arguably even better player in Padakin), Ohtamaa (somewhat replaced by Pedan) and Tokranov (whom they didn't feel they need to bother replacing, I guess). Now granted, Ak Bars is a team with a lot of young players who will grow, few old players who will decline and they will have Burmistrov for a full season so all in all, it wouldn't surprise me if they were even better than last year. However, their defense seems very young and unproven (only 2 guys over 25 y.o.) with the loss of a few solid players.

#5. Lokomotiv. Got worse?

Now lets get this out of the way - I am not a fan of Kudashov. The hockey his teams play is terrible. It's a shame so many good young players had to play in that system for so long. Having said that, Loko did lose some ok players like Mosalyov, Kadeykin or Lyubushkin. However, I'm pretty sure their young players are capable of replacing them and getting rid of some vets is overdue. They also got Sannikov to somewhat replace Kozun (even though they are different players so it's hardly a lateral replacement) and even more importantly, Salak and Desharnais are improvements in key positions. So on one hand, Loko obviously lost some name recognition but at the same time, I think they might have a better season than they did last year if the young guns deliver and Salak is what he can be.

#6. Traktor. Got worse

It's pretty ridiculous to lay down those verdicts how everyone is worse but at the same time, there is just no running away from it. First of all, losing a very successful head coach to SKA in an assistant role is just a sad reality of today's KHL. German Titov hasn't had any success in the KHL yet so I wouldn't expect him to elevate this team either. Also, Traktor lost arguably the best goalie in the league to the NHL and their best D to their direct opponent Avto and replaced them with Sudnitsyn (who is ok for 1B role) and.. well hmm nothing yet, really. Someone like Igor Isayev getting a bigger role. Lastly, Traktor did a good job finding replacements for their forwards: Alex Bergstrom is probably an upgrade over ancient Max Yakutsenya, as is Lapenkov over rapidly declining Igor Petrov. Old alumni Anton Glinkin was brought back to replace "stolen" Kruchinin (again, solid job) and Ryan Stoa is absolutely a proper replacement at Videll's spot. A lot of sympathy to this team for doing a decent job but this offseason definitely punched out a few holes.

#7. Avtomobilist. Finally, a team which got a lot better

Avto has massively improved for the 2nd year in a row and I'm really excited they gave this roster to a competent coach, there was nobody who did more with less than Andrei Martemyanov, his Amur played great hockey, played to its strengths, fantastically utilized its players and even if this is a coach with only 1 season of KHL experience he absolutely deserved a chance with a strong team like this. The fact that it is Avto rather than some powerhouse of the league will ease the transition as well. Now, regarding the roster, they had a very deep one as it is. Basically, the changes were 1) getting rid of the vets you are better off without (Megalinsky, Simakov, Kulyash, Mikhnov); 2) replacing imports who didn't work (King, Parenteau, Cajkovsky) with actual KHL stars. So joining are Dawes, Sexton, Da Costa (some serious potential to have the best line in the league here), Ivan Vishnevsky, Georgi Belousov and Vyacheslav Litovchenko. Huge upgrades in each and every case except for Mikhnov maybe who is still an ok player and Cajkovsky who is good but fills a specific role as an import while it is covered pretty well by Russian players on the roster.

#8. Magnitka. Got slightly better

Magnitka took a real hit last summer and has started recovering some of its former strength by getting the old band back together: Antipin and Bereglazov are back; with additions of Rylov and Vereshchagin the defense doesn't look like a rag-tag bunch it was a year ago. Offensively, it depends on how Dennis Rasmussen is able to replace Kovar. If he can click between Mozyakin and Wolski everything will be fine. Pakarinen and Kulyomin are solid depth even if I don't think they are some kind of game breakers. Varfolomeyev is really one guy who sticks out as a wildcard improvement as he is one of the best young forwards in the league and if he can find his space beneath the sun (unlike Shenfeld last year) Magnitka will have a deep, potent team. They do seem to lack depth at center though, star power on defense and their actual stars are getting older so don't expect a massive rise in the standings.

That's around 1/3 of the league, the rest will come in other parts in the upcoming days.
Just reread your last year analysis. You goy slightly worse this time and you were not any good back then. AkBars is probably still waiting for those crumbles from the Great SKA table. Not. Instead we are letting them have some of ours. A pity to see such a team fail. Not.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Just reread your last year analysis. You goy slightly worse this time and you were not any good back then. AkBars is probably still waiting for those crumbles from the Great SKA table. Not. Instead we are letting them have some of ours. A pity to see such a team fail. Not.
Firstly, Ak Bars did add Klinkhammer, Burmistrov and Manukhov mid-season last year. So crumbles came from Loko and Canucks table. But good job implying I was somehow wrong in Ak Bars' case.

Secondly, after all the insights and evaluations you have produced your audacity to critique someone else is amazing. You should reread your analysis of my analysis to see someone who has no clue whatsoever so you know, I just keep telling myself I can still do way worse. Like, seriously. It's pretty shocking. This is just a summary of your first two replies last year:

"4.Dynamo a playoff contender?:laugh: They will make the playoffs. Comfortably." - Not. They missed the playoffs on the last day so my "laughable" assessment was spot on.

"7.How's Galiev an asset at all? A medoicre AHLer. And you are really trying hard:laugh:"

"Galiev will end up in the VHL soon. He does have the right name. It is also right for Almet'evsk. He might get traded though." - talking about the guy who was 2nd in scoring on the team in PO.

"Shalunov is a depth player. I am talking about a player I know. All the luck to CSKA while I think their Sibir shopping spree was stupid. Because of the players they got. One of them might have been a good depth signing." - Shalunov and Shumakov lead CSKA in scoring last year with 40 points each.

So I really hope this year you do better in your assessments because these are truly embarrassing.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
#11. Torpedo. Got worse

This was a pretty interesting call. Last season was such a struggle for Torpedo, almost nobody on that team could say they had a good season. Well nobody but Yegor Dugin who somehow emerged as a 1C and led the team in scoring. With 29 points. But that's the point - when your team is lead by 29 Dugin's points it's rough. And yet, 5th place in the conference is more or less where everyone expected Torpedo to be. So in conclusion, 1) I think they do have a weaker team this year; 2) if this team doesn't underachieve it will do more or less as good as the one last year; 3) they were 6 points away from missing the playoffs last year so the margins at this part of the table are very thin. Regarding the team itself, everything is new. New coach, new players, different kinds of players as well. You can really feel Nemirovsky's touch, he recruited 4 former Admiral players as well as players generally possessing speed and skill rather than Skudra's preferred grindy qualities. Overall, this is a team that lacks depth at defense and center and probably would like to add a few more players. Their success depends a lot on how well their imports can carry them and this will be a different team than the one last year for sure.

#12. Avangard. Got better assuming they will add a few imports, stayed the same if they won't

Again, a team that scandalously underachieved last year it can't get much worse than that. Bob Hartley is a good coach and I assume they aren't going to play out the season with only 3 imports they have currently signed. Ramo in goal should be a solid addition, Ville Pokka has been signed on D where the only issue is right-handed Ds being way better than left-handed ones and Shirokov, Kirill Petrov and Zernov added at forward. This team needs a 2nd line center and they know it, I assume that's what one of the free import spots are for. Overall, this is a deep team relies more on its young guns rather than star power but it has A LOT of young guns. If they get a solid 2C and maybe improves the quality of LD a bit this team can battle their way to the conference finals.

#13. Amur. Got a whole lot worse, again

Amur at #13 spot in the league last year. That is just ridiculous, truly amazing what Byvaltsev and co. managed to achieve. Absolutely a surprise team last year (Byvaltsev went from scoring 14 points to 43) they will be looking for someone to surprise again. Even though most of the team stayed in Khabarovsk after a great season they lost so many guys who made the difference. Martemyanov moved to coach Avto and took Litovchenko with him, Byvaltsev and Li moved to SKA and Metsola moved on to SYu after being the face of this team for 3 years. Positives are defense improved a tiny bit since it suffered no noteworthy losses and Dmitri Vorobyov was brought in from Lada. Ushenin bros stayed and Tomas Filippi was brought in to center the 1st line so the main pieces of top 6 are in place as well. Libor Kasik will have to do his best to replace Metsola which is a huge task ahead of him. So overall, this isn't a brutally bad team (Amur has had their fair share of those) and with the right coaching (which I, for one, have no expectations for) it can still be a playoff bubble team. It will be a hard season for those guys though and a lot rides on Kašik keeping that .92+ Sv% to keep them afloat.

#14. Sibir. Got slightly better?

Sibir was another rather surprising team last year, they got an amazing value from signing Bergstrom and Zackrisson last year as well as Yurzinov taking over at the helm. Naturally, they couldn't keep those two, or Sannikov, or even Vereshchagin who cried his way out to Magnitka. However, Salak contract coming off the books became an addition by subtraction and Sibir can restructure their expenditure a bit. They got Piganovich and Loginov on D, Danny Taylor to be 1A/B with Krasikov in goal (a bit of waste of money for a team in their situation in my opinion but oh well), Lisin to replace Sannikov and plethora of import forwards. On one hand, there is a moderate risk of Liiga forwards busting at the KHL level but at the same time, they got Cory Emmerton to replace Slava Osnovin, whom they loaned from CSKA, at a 2C spot. So is that an upgrade or what. All in all, Sibir tried to get 2 solid players for every great 1 they lost and I think they succeeded even though a lot rides on the gamble their Liiga forwards can score at the KHL level. Sibir overachieved last year but with this team, they can repeat their 87 points (or so) and squeeze into the PO.

#15. Sochi. Stayed the same

Sochi is the team that moves so many meh players around it's hard to project what will come of it. This year as well, they took gambles on Poshendalyov, Polunin and Bocharov, they all have potential but it's hard to really say any of these guys is an improvement over the next one. These guys, however, will need to replace solid players (Lapenkov and Padakin) so we will see how it goes. Denis Mosalyov is also there as an insurance policy. On defense, Auvitu replaces Polasek (pretty good) and Robert Rosen is in to replace Wellman. Other than that, the core of this team remained in place, they have excellent centers, even with the loss of two solid wings they can recover fine and don't think will slide a lot.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
When did Kuzmenko move from Yakutsk to Moscow?

I’m wondering what kind of youth program they have in Yakutsk.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Watched the Avto-Torpedo game tonight. My goodness, once that PP line of Dawes-Da Costa-Sexton hit mid-season form, taking a penalty against Avto will be suicide.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
#16. Spartak. Got slightly better

Spartak lost 3 very good imports: Radil, Stoa and Lajunen and replaced them with Karsums, Hanzl and Kuteikin which seems like quite a bit of a downgrade. However, they also added Daugavins, Ilya Zubov (as their 3C) and Nikita Filatov. And those are definitely valuable players that help them get deeper. Hudacek in goal should be an improvement as well over statistically one of the worst goalies in the league for the past two seasons Markus Svensson. Overall, they still have Khokhlachev, they got deeper at F, better in goal. Maxwell - Hanzl - Zubov is an excellent trio down the middle. The defense seems a little weaker since none of the newcomers are quite Lajunen's caliber but overall this team should easily compensate this loss. Also if the version of Filatov which scores 40 points shows up - watch out.

#17. Severstal. Got much worse

Not that many changes but what a changes they were. The local hero Kagarlytsky to Dinamo Moscow. Yevseenkov, Mons, Chernov and Stasenko to direct competition in Vityaz. Masuhr back to Sweden, Hudacek to Spartak. Anyone who follows Severstal at least a bit more closely knows what a huge part of the team those players were, guys going to Vityaz alone have over 20 combined seasons of playing for Severstal. And they are going to take that PO spot away from them on another team. Terrible situation, really. They replaced Hudacek with Furch which might even be an upgrade but after that, the things go downhill fast. Replacing losses on defense are Lekomtsev (not great but a similar player to Masuhr, downgrade but one can live with it), Kulyash (terrible) and Nikolai Belov (who didn't play anywhere last year and is only on a try-out deal at the moment). At forward, they brought in Carter Ashton and Zach Boychuk to form an "import line" with Stransky, they said right away it was their only option to somewhat replace Kagarlitsky and they were probably right. However, neither Ashton nor Stransky are that gifted offensively so I don't know how well can that go. Lemtyugov was brought in on try-out to fill the void as well so he is a bit of a wildcard which can either work or not at all. Overall, this is a team which really bled this summer and don't think there is a chance they make a PO. With Vityaz and Dinamo Moscow getting so much better the writing is on the wall for the Steelers. Watching their young players grow in bigger roles is probably the only fun thing about this team this year.

#18. Dinamo Moscow. Got so, so much better

A few solid players left Dinamo but they can all be summed up by one statement: past their prime, guys nobody tries extremely hard to keep at this point of their career. In came Zackrisson, Indrasis, Koivisto, Kagarlitsky, Shipachyov, Mironov, Afinogenov.. This team loaded up and while missing the playoffs last season can realistically aim for 3rd place in the conference in the upcoming one. Nothing else to even add to that, proven and very successful players added to the roster this might be one of the most star-studded Dinamo lineups ever.

#19. Barys. Stayed the same

The big thing is Nigel Dawes left. Other than that, Barys is keeping the path and signed a whole 1st line and 2C of imports (just like good old Dawes-Boyd-Bochenski + St.Pierre days). Bochenski came back to help with that so the new 1st line carrying Barys' hopes will be Andre Petterson - Curtis Valk - Bochenski. Patrice Cormier is the 2nd line center. 2-time Liiga champion Daniel Hrachovina was brought in in goal, a move which didn't make sense since they have Kazakh NT goalie Henrik Karlsson signed for 2 more years. Jesse Blacker was brought in to replace Roman Savchenko who is having a contract dispute of some kind or simply doesn't want to play for Skabelka. Overall, this season is similar to any other in recent memory - Barys brass is hoping the imports can carry them to victory while Kazakh NT eligible depth doesn't sink them down. Playoff bubble team like last year they will be hoping for a bit better finish. Even though realistically, they missed the playoffs by 14 points last year so does one see 14 point improvement out of this team? Not really. Has Neftekhimik or Amur weakened enough to let Barys overtake them? Maybe.

#20. Dinamo Minsk. Got better

Another team which got whole lot NT-orientated all of the sudden this team will only have 5 non-Russian-speaking imports which, I think, is an all-time low (not sure about the very 1st season in their existence). The big change from last year, however, is that Kostitsyn bros together with imports form a viable top 6 and this won't be a one-line team like last year. Other than that, few solid Ds came in, few solid Ds came out. Wiercioch replace Gragnani as an import D. Pulkinnen and Beau Bennett replace Skille and Fontaine as import F (seems like an improvement as well). Sharangovich went to try his luck to NA which is a bit of a shame but you got to do what you got to do. All in all, this is a team which is a whole 2nd line better (not to mention Kostitsyn bros are 1st-line-tier players if they bounce back) and that is a massive improvement. They are a legit 2nd center away from being a strong contender to make the playoffs but they will at least make things interesting this year.

#21. Vityaz. Got better

Anyone could see Vityaz being flat out bad last year even before the season begin. What had to happen did happen and they missed the PO while not even being close. They addressed the needs this year and while long-time reliable players Afinogenov and Horak left, a whole bunch was brought in. The hilarious part being that what's the best way to make the PO? Just loot the team taking #8 spot last year. So they added 4 guys (mentioned above) from Severstal, few other depth players signed, Kokarev to take Afinogenov's place as an aging speedster and returning Miro Aaltonen with Marek Hrivik to take import spots. Oh an NHL all-time great Alex Syomin was brought in as well since NHL pedigree was one thing Kokarev couldn't replace after Afinogenov left. All in all, this team kept almost all the good parts while adding those it lacked. Much like Minsk, surely not a bonafide PO team but a one which can bite and won't be 20 points off it at the end of the season. Very strong performance by their imports could get them into the PO but me personally, I don't see Rendulic scoring 45 points all of the sudden.

#22. Admiral. This is a VHL team. With few decent goalies

No point of naming names, this is an entirely new team managed by a person which is either absolutely clueless or simply unbelievably greedy to the point where you shouldn't be allowed near a pro hockey team. But it is how it is, basically a team of players nobody else would take and two young promising goalies who will need to create miracles to get the wins. No forwards who scored at least 20 points last season, Ugolnikov and Dyakov are the only Ds who could say they were KHL players at all last season, in any role. Albeit both for terrible teams. All in all, this is by far the worst team in the league. The only question is do they fight or do they break mentally and quit at some point of the season. If it's the later we will be seeing a 40 point finish. On paper, this team definitely has the potential to battle for the name of worst one ever. The record holder is 12/13 Avto with 35 points which would be hard to top but it was definitely a better team in a stronger league.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
#23. Kunlun. Roster-wise got way worse

This was certainly a bad surprise of the last season, the team which absolutely broke in the 2nd half. It can't really get much worse than last year in the standings though. You can see Pilsetnieks taking way different approach than Keenan who was mostly interested in good Canadian boys, also you can see resources of this team were limited since last year they failed anyway. No big earners like Wolski or Kostitsyn here. The goalies are average at best unless Nalimov truly becomes elite, the defense is ok and forwards are disappointing. This team will need to be carried by people who have proven themselves not to be 1st line caliber, depth is also not exactly wonderful so all in all, this is a team which is there to survive, not conquer. Making the PO would be a major success, reminds me of Medvescak teams in their later KHL years.

#24. Slovan. Got worse

Again, a team which made a [probably] conscientious decision to become more NT-based and as in most other cases, it meant replacing imports that were good with people who are not as good. Again you can understand this logic in Slovan's case, their team underachieved year after year despite having solid players, last year especially. This is a bit like a Czech Extraliga team now, one which Kometa Brno meets in the PO and kicks out with ease (just like they do with all the Extraliga teams, to be honest). As far as the KHL level is concerned, however, this team just lacks the high-end skill to be a threat. In the West, this team isn't getting close to the PO. Another disappointing season ahead in a Slovak capital.

#26. Dinamo Riga. Got better

Some more legit KHL talent on this team compared to a year before, Videll-McMillan-Dzerins down the middle are guys who fit the roles and don't just flat out get overwhelmed. Mathew Maione seems like a good signing as well after few years of very disappointing import Ds who really couldn't make the difference. That said, this team isn't getting out of the basement just is more on par with other teams in it. I if I was a GM of this team my goal would be to not be in the bottom 3 of the league, which is something this team is able to achieve in my opinion and would sadly be a step up for it. Not being bottom 3 in the conference would be amazing but I think out of the reach. Also, it depends a lot on how good Gudlevskis actually is on the European ice.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Thank you very much for the preview, very good job. Arguably, the best part of KHL season is... right before it starts and previews pop up here and there. I'm sad to see Admiral in such a bad state. I was ecstatic when Vladivostok made an appearance in KHL but this team was never good, nor do they look like they will improve in near future. I hope they won't be a casualty of contraction.

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
It's like there is a curse over Omsk this season. The rink might collapse abd who knows when they are going bsck home.

And now their number one goalie Rämö is out. Who knows how long.. Rämö has been strugling with injuries these recent years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad