KHL Season 2017/18

tsamolotoff

May 7, 2017
Moscow
No it wasn't - we (3rd or 4th place in the regular season) played Lokomotiv (4th or 3rd place overall) in the first Opening Cup, then we (8th place) played HC MVD (renamed to Dynamo, 4th place). I think this tradition is something new, possibly related to the fact that CSKA failed to win GC several times in a row or to the fact that the Continental Cup (award to the regular season winner) was cancelled few years ago.

*** — финалист сезона 2013/14 «Лев» в связи с финансовыми трудностями пропускает сезон 2014/2015. Действующий обладатель кубка Гагарина магнитогорский Металлург разыграл Кубок Открытия в матче с обладателем кубка Континента московским Динамо.
**** — с сезона 15/16 первый матч проходит между обладателями Кубка Континента и Кубка Гагарина предыдущего сезона.
As someone correctly noted, it's actually related to the fact that Lev ceased to exist the next season it got to the finals that's why they had to put Continental Cup winner instead of runner-up. After that they just stuck to that idea

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
tsamolotoff, you are right. It was a match between Champion & runner up in early KHL years. I checked the rules.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
This is really bush league

I have not any problem with Eurosport Player, Netflix or something from Europe and normal world. Maybe in Russia like illegal streams, but I wanna to pay for hockey because I think it s fair. KHL doesnt like my money or fair standards? Typically.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
This is really bush league

I have not any problem with Eurosport Player, Netflix or something from Europe and normal world. Maybe in Russia like illegal streams, but I wanna to pay for hockey because I think it s fair. KHL doesnt like my money or fair standards? Typically.

So you paid for the service, but it doesn't work in Slovakia?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So you paid for the service, but it doesn't work in Slovakia?

Look at left, he is not signed up. Can you buy a stream of one match/all season if you are not signed up to your profile?

Yes, highlights from KHL gamecenter are blocked in Slovakia since this season. I can not say about season´s subscription, because I did not buy it.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
I wanna buy game on the official KHL website. In the previous seasons without problems. Now it doesnt work, I dont now why, but it is not possible to buy live stream, or watch any video on the official KHL site.

Slovakian team is part of the league 5 years, I really dont understand why KHL block streams to my country. I am not use classical TV, I buy movies, sports etc. only on the internet. I dont like to use illegal streams. Thank you KHL, you make my life better - your former customer.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
Look at left, he is not signed up. Can you buy a stream of one match/all season if you are not signed up to your profile?

In the previous seasons was registration on the KHL website not required, I am only buy game via paypal and go on. But ok, now I am signed up to my profile, but when I want to buy game, it is still not possible. Only notice "Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country." Unbelieveable.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I wanna buy game on the official KHL website. In the previous seasons without problems. Now it doesnt work, I dont now why, but it is not possible to buy live stream, or watch any video on the official KHL site.

Slovakian team is part of the league 5 years, I really dont understand why KHL block streams to my country. I am not use classical TV, I buy movies, sports etc. only on the internet. I dont like to use illegal streams. Thank you KHL, you make my life better - your former customer.

You are right. I have just read an information about geoblocking at khl.ru. All KHL video content at khl.ru, including stream of matches, is geo-blocked for FIN, NOR, SWE, DEN, CZ, SVK, HUN, SUI, USA, CAN & CHINA. My explanation is that KHL sold internet rights (as part of TV deal) for those territories to local broadcasters. Viasat´s press release confirms it.

The deal means that MTG will continue to air KHL ice hockey in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden for the next four seasons. Matches featuring Finland̢۪s Jokerit team and other selected high-profile games will be shown live on MTG̢۪s Viasat Hockey channel in Finland, Norway and Sweden, or the Viaplay streaming service, where coverage will also be available in Denmark.

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
SO procedure

Is there a new SO procedure? LOK-CSKA and DMO-VIT ended after 4 SO turns, when there would have been a winner already after the usual 3 turns.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Is there a new SO procedure? LOK-CSKA and DMO-VIT ended after 4 SO turns, when there would have been a winner already after the usual 3 turns.

Yes, they changed the rule before the season´s start. Now there is five rounds instead of three. IIHF recommended it or something like that.

habsturies

May 27, 2012
Baja California Sur
DEspite of the official KHL web site,this year th youtube channel is not working with the highlights.
JUst a couple of them.

I wish exist something like "don't tell me the score" with no spoiler highlights to download.:(

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
DEspite of the official KHL web site,this year th youtube channel is not working with the highlights.
JUst a couple of them.

I wish exist something like "don't tell me the score" with no spoiler highlights to download.:(

This is a huge blow, wonder why the hell they stopped

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
This is unbelievable - no highlights on youtube, no highlights on KHL site, no more Laola. How the the hell am I going to follow. Last year I paid for some of their streams but the quality just wasnt there. This year sucks so bad

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
Ok Vorky, and any solutions? KHL is now pretty unvisible for me. Again, I dont use TV and dont like illegal streams. Sport TV hasnt any internet stream service, they provide only classical TV broadcasting (sorry if they have, but I dont know about it). Years I paid directly to KHL via league official website for games and I was satisfied. So can I start to watch KHL hockey on the illegal streams? Is this the KHL internet rights policy? Strange.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
After Tolvanen's hattie I checked a lot of the north american hockey medias and most of them were using some crappy quality twitter videos and there were fans commenting that doesnt KHL have HD cameras etc.

Not very good KHL image to show there :help:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Ok Vorky, and any solutions? KHL is now pretty unvisible for me. Again, I dont use TV and dont like illegal streams. Sport TV hasnt any internet stream service, they provide only classical TV broadcasting (sorry if they have, but I dont know about it). Years I paid directly to KHL via league official website for games and I was satisfied. So can I start to watch KHL hockey on the illegal streams? Is this the KHL internet rights policy? Strange.

I see & it is a problem for fans. Even if Sport TV had streaming service, they would not air all KHL matches, only Slovan´s & top teams. I would like to watch Jokerit, but I can not now.

On the other hand. The KHL wants to earn money. For the league is better deal to sell streaming rights to foreign broadcasters than to wait if a few fans buy a game or subscribe for all season. Following this premise, the league earns more money from broadcasters than fans. So easy choice for the league. Yes, they could block only Slovan´s games & matches selected by Sport TV for Slovakia. The rest could be available for fans to buy at khl.ru. It would be another story if Sport TV or Viasat bought all games & stream them, so fans would buy them from Viasat/Sport TV. But that would be too expensive for the broadcasters. Btw, how NHL Gamecenter works? Geo-blocking as well?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Btw, how NHL Gamecenter works? Geo-blocking as well?

In the past, Viaplay subscribers in the Nordic countries had access to NHL Gamecenter where they could watch every game but I don't know if it's still available.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Experimented with proxies a bit and it looks like Netherlands based one worked (at least for youtube), no idea why this country is such an exception.

Read this. Netherlands is not on a list of geo-blocked countries, so it works. As I said, my explanation is that KHL sold streaming rights (as part of TV deal) to local broadcasters. Viasat for Finland, Sweden, Norway & Denmark, Sport TV for Slovakia, Czech rep & Hungary. DAZN for Canada. China - most likely CCTV. Do not know who holds rights in USA & Switzerland.

EDIT:

As you know the KHL worked with Infront Sport & Media a few years ago. They were close to a deal two years ago, but the deal did not happen. IMO, and it is only a speculation, the KHL was not satisfied with $ which the Swiss company offered. The KHL extended a partnership with Lagardère Sports this summer, source.

Lagardère Sports has extended its commitment and will now manage media rights outside of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan across four seasons from 2017/2018 until 2020/2021.

The deal includes rights across all broadcasting platforms.

All broadcasting platforms includes streaming.

As you are a mod. I would recommend you to create new thread for the discusion on the topic, or to merge the discussion with existing thread.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad