KHL Season 2016/2017

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Huge game by the former Omsk guys against their former team. Kazakov and Tkachev, maybe they can upset the big boys.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Yes, I like Budaj return from black hole to the top. It is wonderfull. But he is starting goalie in the NHL, no backup in the Albany River Rats or HC Detva :laugh: plenty people trust him, plenty people respect him. This is no position to spread the ********. I never see similar fake stories from guys like Satan or Visnovsky. They always talk about KHL with respect.

http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/266886/budaj-vraj-po-sezone-zamieri-do-khl-vsetko-ma-byt-uz-dohodnute/#
http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?211811-Rumor-Budaj-to-KHL
:sarcasm:

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Yes :-D it keep me smiling today. But I want him in Slovan. Duo Budaj - Brust can be fine and one of the best goalies pairs in the league.
Well, first things first, we do not even know whether we play the KHL next season. But otherwise I fully agree, that'd be an amazing pairing, even their visage is the same. :laugh:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
A big loss for the KHL and Russian hockey community today. Sergey Gimayev Sr., a multiple time USSR champion, a merited coach, a popular KHL-TV and Match-TV color commentator and expert, and also a KHL defenseman Sergey Gimayev Jr.'s father, passed away during an alumni game in Tula. Pulmonary embolism is rumored to be the cause of death. He was 62.

Царствие небесное.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
A big loss for the KHL and Russian hockey community today. Sergey Gimayev Sr., a multiple time USSR champion, a merited coach, a popular KHL-TV and Match-TV color commentator and expert, and also a KHL defenseman Sergey Gimayev Jr.'s father, passed away during an alumni game in Tula. Pulmonary embolism is rumored to be the cause of death. He was 62.

Царствие небесное.

Was he the one that was fairly outspoke about his views that didn't always please the hockey bosses or something? I seem to recall several Russian posters bringing up his name and his views in threads in various GDTs.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
I start read hockey articles on championat.com and it is really interesting to see russian journalists/experts/fas in discussion, views and opinions on the KHL.

There is big article how to improve KHL play-off today https://www.championat.com/hockey/article-269282-5-reform-kotorye-sdelajut-plej-off-khl-luchshe.html

I am surprised when I see level of the scepticism for KHL future. For example: "we wanted absolutely new type of the league in 2008 but everything is loss now. Salary cup is not working, draft is not working, so we have only old Russian Superleague in the nicer cover."

What do you think, is this opinion right? Is KHL on the way, or is it miss project now and it is only standard european national league with number of foreign clubs?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I start read hockey articles on championat.com and it is really interesting to see russian journalists/experts/fas in discussion, views and opinions on the KHL.

There is big article how to improve KHL play-off today https://www.championat.com/hockey/article-269282-5-reform-kotorye-sdelajut-plej-off-khl-luchshe.html

I am surprised when I see level of the scepticism for KHL future. For example: "we wanted absolutely new type of the league in 2008 but everything is loss now. Salary cup is not working, draft is not working, so we have only old Russian Superleague in the nicer cover."

What do you think, is this opinion right? Is KHL on the way, or is it miss project now and it is only standard european national league with number of foreign clubs?

You need to know following things about Russian journos/fans

1. Many of them hate SKA and Roman Rotenberg. SKA is loved and hated like Slovan in Slovakia, loved in St.Peterburg (Bratislava) and hated in the rest of country. Of course, SKA has fans outside the city as well, but those chatting on internet usually hate SKA. Rotenberg is a symbol of oligarkhy, because he he is involved in Hockey Federation, the KHL, SKA, Jokerit, Kunlun.

2. Many of them hates everything non-Russian, especially elder one. So they consider the KHL as Russian championship, where should be only Russian clubs.

3. Many of them hate Chernyshenko, because he is "too weak". Medvedev was strong President, had image & Chernyshenko is bureaucrat.

4. Many of them, even journos, dont understand KHL´s expansion visions. They think the KHL will expand to London, Paris or Milan, so non-hockey markets. Medvedev as President talked about such plans all the time, so they think the same thing will happen under Chernyshenko. Then there is an example of Medvescak which was selling the players before finish of regular season.... they think it is Chernyshenko´s fault, but they dont point out that Medvescak has been Medvedev´s project. They dont understand why KHL wants to expand to Asia as well.

5. Many of them have "problems" with quality of referees... again, the fault of Chernyshenko.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Was he the one that was fairly outspoke about his views that didn't always please the hockey bosses or something? I seem to recall several Russian posters bringing up his name and his views in threads in various GDTs.

Are you serious? :laugh: The dude was a familiar face even for me. KHL predictions are now orphan. May he rest in peace.

Nice but impractical ideas. I can only agree about broadcasting standards: all clubs must have HD cameras or at least be able to provide a pleasant viewership experience. I like Loko but never even watch their home games, because the view is so bad I can barely see the puck.

About cross-conference (I hope this is the correct term) pairings... It's too expensive and exhausting. Yes, Ak Bars-Salavat fighting for Gagarin Cup would be cool but what about SKA-Amur or Neftekhimik-Sochi tie? Neither practical nor interesting. For me, it is; because I'm a romantic guy, but for regular hockey fans and market, those ties offer nothing spectacular.

I don't understand what those guys want KHL to do, when saying "It's just Russian Super League with a better cover"... Dude, that's a hockey league. What do you want to see?

Russia is just too huge to have such wild play-off ties. The format is fine, just improve marketing and viewership experience, which also includes NOT playing all games at the same time, damn. :rant:

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Are you serious? :laugh: The dude was a familiar face even for me. KHL predictions are now orphan. May he rest in peace.

Nice but impractical ideas. I can only agree about broadcasting standards: all clubs must have HD cameras or at least be able to provide a pleasant viewership experience. I like Loko but never even watch their home games, because the view is so bad I can barely see the puck.

About cross-conference (I hope this is the correct term) pairings... It's too expensive and exhausting. Yes, Ak Bars-Salavat fighting for Gagarin Cup would be cool but what about SKA-Amur or Neftekhimik-Sochi tie? Neither practical nor interesting. For me, it is; because I'm a romantic guy, but for regular hockey fans and market, those ties offer nothing spectacular.

I don't understand what those guys want KHL to do, when saying "It's just Russian Super League with a better cover"... Dude, that's a hockey league. What do you want to see?

Russia is just too huge to have such wild play-off ties. The format is fine, just improve marketing and viewership experience, which also includes NOT playing all games at the same time, damn. :rant:

It might be outdated news but regarding the HD cameras the league said that the distances involved meant it can't work properly?

This was some time ago though surely things have changed!

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
It might be outdated news but regarding the HD cameras the league said that the distances involved meant it can't work properly?

This was some time ago though surely things have changed!
Vladivostok broadcasts in HD, and it works perfectly fine :dunno:

I'll repeat hansomreiste's question: what exactly the KHL is expected to be, if you phrase your question like that?

The ideas of improving the quaity of broadcasting and not playing games at the same time are old and obvious. The KHL has improved tenfold in regards to broadcasting quality, there's just no comparison to the old RSL times and it's ridiculous to ignore what has and what is being made.

The other suggestions are idiotic.

• Cross-conference semifinals with the intention of seeing "2 superclubs head and shoulders above the rest"? Well, these 2 superclubs have combined for 1 Cup in 9 years, and I'd much rather watch the best of the West vs the beast of the East. And I'm not even touching travel.
  • The idea of some tournament for lower seed playoff teams while the others are resting for the playoffs must be a dumb joke.
  • "Opening the referees for criticism" would lead to some of the worst unprofessionalism in the KHL history and damage the league's image a lot. The refs aren't even that bad.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
In his article, what does Kucherov mean when he says he feels sorry for the CSKA players and the hockey is bad? Does he have an issue with management there?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Wasn't the deadline for applications ( for new season ) on April 30.?
Still no news on teams that applied?

Yes, it was. Now it is sure we wont see any new teams for next season. Next KHL Board of Directors meeting will take place late May, we will know what club/s leave as soon as late May (maybe later).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->