KHL Season 2016/2017

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Sibir only gets 2 points in Yekaterinburg and misses the playoffs. :cry:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Sibir is one of my favorite teams yet honestly I am not even sad after today's miss. They had two, three, four... maybe even more chances to make it. I could be devastated with a slip but this is by no means a "miss", they were simply too weak to deserve. Anyways, Magnitka would crush them. Not much lost. 7th place would be cool though.

I have no idea about their financial situation but I hope that they will come stronger next season. If I'm not mistaken, they will have their new arena by... 2023, maybe? Logically, Novosibirsk must be successful; it's a very big city with loyal fans.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Sibir is one of my favorite teams yet honestly I am not even sad after today's miss. They had two, three, four... maybe even more chances to make it. I could be devastated with a slip but this is by no means a "miss", they were simply too weak to deserve. Anyways, Magnitka would crush them. Not much lost. 7th place would be cool though.

I have no idea about their financial situation but I hope that they will come stronger next season. If I'm not mistaken, they will have their new arena by... 2023, maybe? Logically, Novosibirsk must be successful; it's a very big city with loyal fans.

latest information is 2022, they plan to host WJC Worlds in 2023, so arena should be ready for 2022/23 season. As I know Sibir had best tv ratings among regional broadcasters for last season, so yeah, Sibir is very popular team.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Must give Kovy credit, he has been playing with a vengeance lately. Overshadowed by Mozyakins epic season, Kovy still had great productivity and played with an edge, lots of hits and great rushes with the puck, glimpses of the old Kovy. 2 points away from the previous record is a long way from being healthy scratched less than a year ago. Good for him

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Yeah, Sibir can only blame themselves, they had a number of chances to seize the PO spot and couldn't use any.

And Kovalchuk was extremely impressive indeed, if not for Mozyakin's historic season, he'd definitely contend for the best forward title. Shipachyov as well, he had 1.55 PPG, which is only behind Malkin-Mozyakin lockout link. The season was very prolific overall, with 8 players getting 60+ points (most of them stacked on MMG and SKA, though).

steap

Aug 15, 2008
Novosibirsk, Russia
crazy exodus rumors from Sibir regarding Okulov, Sannikov, Shumakov and Shalunov
There is nothing crazy. Sibir have no money. 3 of them have no contracts and all of them are Team Russia players. Sannikov have one year of contract left, but that could be the same as with Tarasenko (FHR said than we should trade him to better team).
Btw that is good for Sibir if we get some money for Shalunov and Shumakov. I didn't like their play for the most of the season. And that money we should use to sign contract with Okulov.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
There is nothing crazy.

Kinda agree. Those guys (other than Okulov) are super expensive and didn't get it done. They are good players but they aren't irreplaceable.

At the same time, if I'm GM of the big team I'm drooling all over Shalunov. Center with size, plays all situations, great shot, fast.. I'm going after this guys like there's no tomorrow.

And really the KHL is built the way that any good Russian player becomes too expensive for non-top team. 2 decent players are better.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There is nothing crazy. Sibir have no money. 3 of them have no contracts and all of them are Team Russia players. Sannikov have one year of contract left, but that could be the same as with Tarasenko (FHR said than we should trade him to better team).
Btw that is good for Sibir if we get some money for Shalunov and Shumakov. I didn't like their play for the most of the season. And that money we should use to sign contract with Okulov.

Absolutely. Sibir needs to blow it up now. The current roster is not working. Why not selling high on the top line while demand is there?

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
I really like KHL, but dont understand. All 4 play-off games in one starting time. For who this league is? Only for fans in arenas, or for TV viewers also? Yes, I support my team, but I like watch any KHL game. I like to pay for any KHL stream because its support for league... ok, we have top of the season now, and its not possible to watch live games for me. All games started at 17,00 Moscow time (15,00 central Europe). So tell me, its really difficult to get 1 game, for example CSKA - Jokerit, to 19,00 Moscow time? This is really not very friendly for european fans.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I really like KHL, but dont understand. All 4 play-off games in one starting time. For who this league is? Only for fans in arenas, or for TV viewers also? Yes, I support my team, but I like watch any KHL game. I like to pay for any KHL stream because its support for league... ok, we have top of the season now, and its not possible to watch live games for me. All games started at 17,00 Moscow time (15,00 central Europe). So tell me, its really difficult to get 1 game, for example CSKA - Jokerit, to 19,00 Moscow time? This is really not very friendly for european fans.

Today is a holiday in Russia, therefore games started earlier. Games during weekend/holiday starts at 17:00 local time. In general I agree with you, they could do two tv slots (17:00 & 19:00)

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
This isn't any more convenient for Russian fans, believe me.

Of course, I believe you. Yes, its about league responsibility for fans, it doesnt matter from which country.

Vorky same problem with saturday weekend games. All in one time. Solution? Maybe 2 games from east and 2 from west per day? Hockey saturday with Salavat Yulaev - Ak Bars first, and than Jokerit - CSKA can be exciting. Again, I like this league and I wanna to pay for this hockey. Why KHL it doesnt want? Strange.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Of course, I believe you. Yes, its about league responsibility for fans, it doesnt matter from which country.

Vorky same problem with saturday weekend games. All in one time. Solution? Maybe 2 games from east and 2 from west per day? Hockey saturday with Salavat Yulaev - Ak Bars first, and than Jokerit - CSKA can be exciting. Again, I like this league and I wanna to pay for this hockey. Why KHL it doesnt want? Strange.

This is what I don't understand. For weekdays, it's understandable since there is not much time for hockey but what's the point of having them all at the same time even on weekend? I'm not asking for a 10-13-16-19 schedule but at least make it two slots.

I also agree that we should have mixed days instead of East-West. Nobody expects KHL to start Avangard's game at 19 CET so that people in Europe can watch... But to me it seems like they simply do not even care about planning. This thing called play-off doesn't even last for 3 months. Every game counts and every single round, we have fewer and fewer games. When you make them all play at the same time... It feels painful. I feel like they steal the hockey for which I've waited for a whole year. Dem feels.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
I feel like they steal the hockey for which I've waited for a whole year. Dem feels.

Exactly. Every serie, every game in the play-off has special story, special rivalries, special evolution etc. I watched whole season, so I wanna by inside now. Result? 16 play-off games and I watch only 1and tommorow will be the second one.

steap

Aug 15, 2008
Novosibirsk, Russia
why Skabelka quit?
i think he did a good overall job.

The team was uncontrollable almost whole season. So that could be the main reason. The second possible reason - no money for good players. That could be the reason for Skabelka not to extend his contract. As I heard last time when he extended contract (before current season) there were option that Sibir should keep SSS-line. Anyway I would like to thank him for the last two seasons which were the best in the team history.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Skabelka is a good coach but this season's failure is partially on him too. Like plugging Artyukhin who finished the season with 9 points to the top-6 for more than half of the season.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Pleasantly surprised to see Vityaz qualified for the playoffs. Last I knew of them, they were this absolutely awful team full of goons. I guess they have made significant strides recently though.

They are on their way to getting curbstomped by SKA, but all the same, nice to see them make the playoffs.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Pleasantly surprised to see Vityaz qualified for the playoffs. Last I knew of them, they were this absolutely awful team full of goons. I guess they have made significant strides recently though.

They are on their way to getting curbstomped by SKA, but all the same, nice to see them make the playoffs.

this ska - vityaz' series is a farce, Vityaz is essentially ska's farm clumb and a dump team for their aging overpriced players.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Mozyakin with 1000th point against Kunlun... Not sure but he may also have scored 1001st one. What a career, what an inspirational sportsman. As a very inconsistent and mentally-weak person, I find it hard to believe that this dude has been finding the net for years without giving any breaks. I'm really interested in learning more about his life. Is there any kind of interview, documentary, book or some articles about him? I'd prefer something written if possible, because my Russian is still weak, so I think I wouldn't understand much on audio/video.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Mozyakin with 1000th point against Kunlun... Not sure but he may also have scored 1001st one. What a career, what an inspirational sportsman. As a very inconsistent and mentally-weak person, I find it hard to believe that this dude has been finding the net for years without giving any breaks. I'm really interested in learning more about his life. Is there any kind of interview, documentary, book or some articles about him? I'd prefer something written if possible, because my Russian is still weak, so I think I wouldn't understand much on audio/video.

How is he a mentally weak person?

deejb

Nov 12, 2016
I'm really interested in learning more about his life. Is there any kind of interview, documentary, book or some articles about him? I'd prefer something written if possible, because my Russian is still weak, so I think I wouldn't understand much on audio/video.
One of few big interview with him (8 years ago).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad