KHL Season 2016/2017

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
Question will be the regular season longer by 4 or 5 matches ?
Hopefully the regular season could be at least 70 matches long.

Not even may and the season is gone what does the players do for 4 months, nothing ? Why care about pointless IIHF tournaments ?
Why does the KHL feels like another NHL farm ?
The players should "work" all year long.

Best young players leaving, its probably the greatest lost to KHL at all and paradoxically best thing what can happen to them.

kulenova seka

Not even may and the season is gone what does the players do for 4 months, nothing ? Why care about pointless IIHF tournaments ?

Best young players leaving, its probably the greatest lost to KHL at all and paradoxically best thing what can happen to them.

And you should visit neuropsychologists.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The World Championships are very important in Europe so no league would ever hold its games during the tourney

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I am not sure if KHL board takes NHL play-off schedule into consideration but this may play a role, maybe. For example, this year, 7-game Gagarin Cup finals ended on April 19 when it was only a few days into NHL play-off. NHL is still the "best" competition out there without doubt so putting KHL and NHL on show at the same time can maybe decrease ratings for KHL - to be honest, as much as I adore KHL, I'd prefer watching Anaheim against Nashville when I can, instead of Traktor versus Neftehimik. Far East Russia and Siberia doesn't have much problem with time zone either, you can easily adjust your sleep schedule for NHL games if you don't have a tight working schedule. So, my wild guess is that KHL does not want to interfere with NHL.

About the schedule, I'd love seeing a longer regular season as well. The current re-seeding system in KHL is lovely, I hope they won't change this as NHL did. It makes regular season ranking more important, therefore making them "real" games instead of garbage. With possibly two additions, we may expect seeing an increase in regular season games. A similar system to Americans, like 3-year cycle stuff where you don't even play against some teams during a season may also be adept but this doesn't sound viable to me when there are at least 4 or 5 teams with uncertain futures - it may create unfair situations and unbalanced schedules with a lot of confusion.

Something has to be done about EHT or other tournaments. Without them, KHL could even go for a 90-game regular season. Or simply make it 65 or so and then have some space to rest. I just hate EHT breaks. If I was Swede, Russian, Czech or Finnish then maybe I'd love the idea of European Championship or so but now, meh.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine

No, no, no 60 games is fine. What can you decide in 70 games that you can't decide in 60? I hate to remind you, but hockey is a winter sport. I hate the NHL for lot's of reasons, not the least of which is that they don't decide their champion until freaking June.

They end when they do so that the players can get ready for the WC's. So they aren't going to be extending the season, unless you want them starting in July.

The KHL will never pay as much as the NHL, so their best will always take off to the NHL. Don't fret it, there's tons of good players, and in my mind the KHL will always be the most entertaining league in the world, even if it doesn't have the best players.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
No, no, no 60 games is fine. What can you decide in 70 games that you can't decide in 60? I hate to remind you, but hockey is a winter sport. I hate the NHL for lot's of reasons, not the least of which is that they don't decide their champion until freaking June.

They end when they do so that the players can get ready for the WC's. So they aren't going to be extending the season, unless you want them starting in July.

The KHL will never pay as much as the NHL, so their best will always take off to the NHL. Don't fret it, there's tons of good players, and in my mind the KHL will always be the most entertaining league in the world, even if it doesn't have the best players.

If every team is to play with each opponent in the league, then it's inevitable that there will be more regular season games for obvious reasons - two new teams. There's just no way around it unless KHL adapts the system Americans use. And I'd prefer 70 games instead of 60 & cycles. Easier for me to comprehend and see what's going on in and around the league.

Moreover, 10-game is not insignificant by any means. Think of current season. If it went 10 games more, A LOT could have changed. Really. Especially with a 3-point system, even two games could make a big impact on rankings. Hockey is a fast-paced sports where 3 or even 4 games a week is considered normal. So, I see nothing wrong with 70 regular season games - it would give us a better picture of who's the strongest. Roster planning and energy saving would mean more, which in turn helps the better-built teams. Increasing the tempo a little bit would benefit KHL imo - it's not like these guys will die after playing 70 games because of exhaustion. It's not that significant for them, but it is for the league overall.

EDIT: While checking if there were any news lately, I found this thing posted on KHL's official website on March 24,

The playing schedule for the Kontinental Hockey League Championship 2016-17 season has been confirmed.

The League devised the calendar with the interests of Team Russia in mind, and as a result, there will be three breaks in the schedule to accommodate each stage of the Eurotour (Oct. 29 - Nov. 6, Dec. 10 - 18, and Feb. 4 – 12). However, there will be no break in the schedule for the 2016 World Cup (Sep. 17- Oct. 1) in Toronto.

The regular season will begin on the 22nd of August and finish on the 18th of February. The latest possible date for the end of the Gagarin Cup final series (i.e. in the event of the series running to seven games) is the 20th of April, a full two weeks before the start of the 2017 IIHF World Championships in France and Germany.

The League decided on the early start date for the Championship in order to facilitate fair and even distribution of the 144 playing days which make up the regular season, and also the Gagarin Cup playoffs. In compiling the schedule, the organizers have strived to strike the correct balance between the interests of the Russian national team and of all the member clubs in the League.

How can you set the schedule when you don't even know how many teams will you have for the season? It will probably 60-games again with some of the "extras" brought by new teams being omitted to be played in next season. Yikes.

Last edited:

Vanjito

May 31, 2015
perhaps we'll have 6 divisions of 5 teams. 4 against division rivals =16 matches, 2 against conference teams =20 and 2 against the other conference =30 so that's 66 games.

mind you, it's still a real possibility that no new teams join this season.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
NHL is still the "best" competition out there without doubt so putting KHL and NHL on show at the same time can maybe decrease ratings for KHL - to be honest, as much as I adore KHL, I'd prefer watching Anaheim against Nashville when I can, instead of Traktor versus Neftehimik. Far East Russia and Siberia doesn't have much problem with time zone either, you can easily adjust your sleep schedule for NHL games if you don't have a tight working schedule. So, my wild guess is that KHL does not want to interfere with NHL.
We'll see how the NHL does rating-wise on Match-TV this year, but the previous time Rossiya-2 was showing the NHL, they had awful ratings, which is understandable: not only are the NHL games played during night or early morning in Russia, they also have too many commercial breaks and very long intermissions. There's not a lot of people who can regularly spend 3.5 hours watching a hockey game. Also, I don't think the KHL and the NHL fanbases interfere that much; there are a lot of Russian hockey fans who have little interest in the teams they have no emotional attachment to.

I think a 60 games regular season is long enough, the KHL doesn't yet have enough parity to increase the amount of games. There will simply be too many pointless games, especially with a 3 point system.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Is this the thread start (OP) we want for next season?

But... What are we supposed to talk at this early stage?

Today, while cruising around randomly, I saw that Amur appointed Miskhat Fakhrutdinov, who was in charge of Rubin Tyumen since 2009, as head coach. Is there anyone here who can speak a few words about him? Would you rate this change as positive?

I am not a diehard Amur fan but I'd really love to see this team do something well. They are one of the coolest in the league imo with great & consistent fan support. To be honest I'm bored of seeing same teams competing for top spots. A-mur! *clap clap clap*

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
But... What are we supposed to talk at this early stage?

Today, while cruising around randomly, I saw that Amur appointed Miskhat Fakhrutdinov, who was in charge of Rubin Tyumen since 2009, as head coach. Is there anyone here who can speak a few words about him? Would you rate this change as positive?

I am not a diehard Amur fan but I'd really love to see this team do something well. They are one of the coolest in the league imo with great & consistent fan support. To be honest I'm bored of seeing same teams competing for top spots. A-mur! *clap clap clap*
A legend here in Västerås ;) He played 8 seasons here :D

You can buy a red Мисхат Фахрутдинов t-shirt with the hammer and sickle in the shop. Too bad you look like a commy in it, otherwise I would wear it :laugh:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
A legend here in Västerås ;) He played 8 seasons here :D

You can buy a red Мисхат Фахрутдинов t-shirt with the hammer and sickle in the shop. Too bad you look like a commy in it, otherwise I would wear it :laugh:

That sounds cool! By the way, I missed his latest stint: He worked with Torpedo in VHL this (2015/16) season. Rubin was before that. Judging from rankings, he seems to have done a good job in VHL overall but what kind of teams did he have in his possession? How did things look for him or the team? I have no idea at all so I don't want to judge him by looking at a few stats. First round exit in Kazakh derby caught my eye, though.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Nothing? to this time i was assured, that their are training hard for the next season... :sarcasm:

Still better, that in NFL. Most teams ends in January and you have 9 months to wait for another season.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
While looking for Stanley Cup odds, I by chance saw that Marathonbet already released ante-post odds for KHL. As things stand now, CSKA are the main favorites for Gagarin Cup priced @3.45, followed by SKA @3.75. Magnitka @6,30 and Salavat @8,90 are the other main canditates putting themselves ahead of the likes of Avangard (14.50), Ak Bars and Jokerit both at 17.50. Not surprisingly, the highest odds are for Novokuznetsk (301), Yugra (251) and Amur (151).

There is still a long time ahead but I am surprised to see Jokerit on such high odds. Should be no more than 10 or 12 to me.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
While looking for Stanley Cup odds, I by chance saw that Marathonbet already released ante-post odds for KHL. As things stand now, CSKA are the main favorites for Gagarin Cup priced @3.45, followed by SKA @3.75. Magnitka @6,30 and Salavat @8,90 are the other main canditates putting themselves ahead of the likes of Avangard (14.50), Ak Bars and Jokerit both at 17.50. Not surprisingly, the highest odds are for Novokuznetsk (301), Yugra (251) and Amur (151).

There is still a long time ahead but I am surprised to see Jokerit on such high odds. Should be no more than 10 or 12 to me.

Jokerit or any non-Russian team is never going to be allowed to win the Gagarin Cup, it's a waste of money to bet on them.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Obviously, The Darkest One won't allow a Finnish team to win the Cup. Odds should be 17 000:1 for Jokerit. :sarcasm:

Rotenberg? Because he sure as hell won't be putting anything more than the agreed amount on Jokerit and will make sure SKA will get the calls should they face each other.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Jokerit or any non-Russian team is never going to be allowed to win the Gagarin Cup, it's a waste of money to bet on them.

I don't agree with this, I think Jokerit has a good chance to win. Other than that - everyone is in the same boat - until ska wins enough titles to glorify themselves in front of themselves - everyone is screwed.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Riga, Astana, Minsk, Zagreb, Bratislava have never assembled a squad good enough to win the Gagarin Cup.

Prague almost won, but I think Magnitka was better.

I don't really follow Jokerit, but they seem to be in contender status, but it's a small sample size as they just joined the league.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
The odds shifted in favour of SKA which is now at 3,20 and 0,55 lower than CSKA, probably due to recent transfers/trades.

KHL so far has produced great rivalries and many unpredictable series/games but I have fear that things will get very one-sided in time as financial gaps become more of an issue. I mean, you can never tell which of Salavat, CSKA, Ak Bars or SKA would get the cup when conference finals start, but the problem with KHL now is that you can pretty much predict who will come out as top 4 or 6. As Avangard Barys stated, aside from four or five teams, nobody can assemble a squad good enough to be in the race for Gagarin Cup; neither can they produce surprises and go past conference quarter-finals.

I want best team to win of course as it's the right thing but seeing teams like Sochi, Amur, Vladivostok, Riga, Astana etc. in top 8 would be cool. Nowadays it seems to be a race only between SKA, CSKA, Magnitka and maybe one or two other teams. This league needs little miracles from time to time to make it spicy. That's the element that KHL lacks. Take NHL for example. This post-season has been amazing. Caps, Hawks, Kings, Panthers, Lightning... All out! Not because they suck but their opponents have quality. Same is needed for KHL. When Avto pairs against Sibir, people must be able to say, "Wow, Avto can do this".

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
As Avangard Barys stated, aside from four or five teams, nobody can assemble a squad good enough to be in the race for Gagarin Cup; neither can they produce surprises and go past conference quarter-finals.

There were surprises in KHL playoff. Not one. Now i can remember only to Riga and SKA few years ago in 1. (2. ?) round. But there were more of them. Also in 2009, if im correct. Its not impossible, that it can happen next year.
Who could imagine, that Lev Praha will play on finals?

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
There were surprises in KHL playoff. Not one. Now i can remember only to Riga and SKA few years ago in 1. (2. ?) round. But there were more of them. Also in 2009, if im correct. Its not impossible, that it can happen next year.
Who could imagine, that Lev Praha will play on finals?

Not saying I expected them to get to the final, but they definitely had a pretty good team, so I would not really expect this kind of surprise from teams like Slovan, Riga, Minsk or Zagreb, as they will never be able to assemble a team with similar quality to Lev Prague in their last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->