KHL Season 20/21

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Here is some news about it:

- season start is now scheduled for 13.11.2020. But they will have some talks with government. This date is not 100 % safe.
- All teams want to play. But again, there should be a reasonable amount of fans in stadium. Without fans it will be very difficult to start. All teams together need at least 60 000 000 € for proper start.
Thank you. Of course, I am not fluent in German. So, €60 million would be the missing revenue from ticketing? Or it is a combined budget of all DEL clubs for a season? Seems too low.

Recently I found some KHL numbers, even though they might be undervalued. So, all KHL clubs should spend around €450-500 million a season. Might be more or less.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What will happen to the contracts if the season is cut short?
I do not like to talk about things which are not happening.

But, the players' contracts are signed until April 30. Generally, the players eliminated in early playoffs rounds (or not making it), so finishing their season in February or early March, have always got the full paycheck, so for March & April. The same with the last season when the season was finished earlier due to the virus. It had no effect on contracts.

Reactions: Rigafan

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Thank you. Of course, I am not fluent in German. So, €60 million would be the missing revenue from ticketing? Or it is a combined budget of all DEL clubs for a season? Seems too low.

The €60 million is the projected income from game days, including tickets, merchandise (primarily a gameday driven economy) and concessions (depending on the arena deals), based on conservative estimates, that is required to make the season worthwhile/prevent mass bankruptcy in the league. Essentially the League is looking for a commitment from the federal and regional governments that the €60million can be recouped by way of firm commitments towards fans returning to stadia at sustainable levels and that any games that will be played behind closed doors/with unsustainable capacity limitations will be compensated by government grants.
So far the government has made only € 800.000 per team available (which is a drop in the ocean) and even at that, there is major uncertainty if all teams (if any) can even avail of this financial package, due to stipulations and ambiguities regarding financial losses in the last 2 years.

Without this commitment, by October 2nd, the League will not start on 13.11.2020. Though with the very short ultimatum, the league may have played its hand, and shot itself in the foot at the same time, since the DEL2 have announced they will play regardless of the stance of the DEL. I think currently the pathway is being discussed that 20% are allowed at sports events and if everything goes pitch perfect, that Number can increase to 30-40% by end of October. Mind you Football is currently the only sport playing, and none of the other team sports are planning to start before the end of October.

Reactions: vorky

lawrence

May 19, 2012

as per this.

What is the heck going on? please update with news as it goes. Scary stuff if this doesn't shut down the league I don't know what will.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Morozov says: at the moment the KHL does not consider interrupting the season due to the COVID19.

You can read more at the league´s website.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki

as per this.

What is the heck going on? please update with news as it goes. Scary stuff if this doesn't shut down the league I don't know what will.

There have been quite a large problem with covid-19 in the league. Teams have had several players testing positive and quite a few games (so far) have been postponed, especially for Jokerit and Dinamo Riga who had opposing players testing positive.

Edit: Forgot to add that Riga just had five players testing positive as well

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

as per this.

Well this is neither the first nor the harshest such case so this, on its own, definitely isn't going to change anything.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I have asked it many times and I will do it again. What European hockey leagues have been regularly testing all players & staff? And how often? Many thanks.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Like watching train crash in slow motion.
Honestly, maybe we are making too much of this at this point. There will be bunches of technical defeats, that's for sure but good teams will still get to PO and bad teams won't. And by that point, there will be more options to stay healthy available.

From what I gather, that's the rationale of the KHL brass anyway.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Punishing teams with defeats for being responsible is just ridiculous, as is the idea of playing with reserves. Maybe they'll find a champion this way which is apparently important for reasons that have little to do with hockey, but it's not a league worth watching anymore.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Punishing teams with defeats for being responsible is just ridiculous, as is the idea of playing with reserves. Maybe they'll find a champion this way which is apparently important for reasons that have little to do with hockey, but it's not a league worth watching anymore.
As of today, that league has played the most hockey games in 2020-21 on the planet. By planet, I mean the Earth, where you should live as well.

And it is the only hockey league in Europe with regular testing of all on the coronavirus illness. If you know about another European hockey league doing it in this degree, please tell us about it right now. I am asking it again, this time you.

If you dislike the game of hockey, do not comment it here. Because other people love watching real hockey games!

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I have asked it many times and I will do it again. What European hockey leagues have been regularly testing all players & staff? And how often? Many thanks.
Most teams test the whole team when they suspect an infection, but I haven't heard any other sports team have such a large chunk of the total players infected (around 20% in the KHL iirc, correct me if I'm wrong).

Other leagues have mostly had a few players in a certain team testing positive, which in that case quarantines the players for two weeks (not day-to-day due to "feeling unwell" like KHL teams seem to do).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Punishing teams with defeats for being responsible is just ridiculous, as is the idea of playing with reserves.
Lets face it, punishment will only rearrange the chairs on the deck of the ship that are the playoff seeding. Over volume, it will more or less even out anyway.

Playing with reserves is kinda meaningless but at least kids get to play so is it really worse than not playing, especially at home?

Look, there is no denying, it is definitely a bizarre season but for once, I might agree with vorky. Is it really worse than no hockey? And I have no doubt players are happy just to be playing no matter what.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Most teams test the whole team when they suspect an infection, but I haven't heard any other sports team have such a large chunk of the total players infected (around 20% in the KHL iirc, correct me if I'm wrong).

Other leagues have mostly had a few players in a certain team testing positive, which in that case quarantines the players for two weeks (not day-to-day due to "feeling unwell" like KHL teams seem to do).
That you for the news. You say "when they suspect an infection." And what if they do not suspect the symptoms? Will they keep playing as nothing happening?

I know that regular testing, like the KHL is doing, costs a lot of money. And of course, it results in more positive tests. The most important is that a league has a plan on how to solve the situation.

Perhaps, there should be fewer guys with it. But the KHL does not use the NHL bubble approach. So, it is a different model. We can not compare them. And now reading Gary Bettman: Bubbles for a full NHL season 'just doesn't work'. Btw the KHL considers the bubble for playoffs.

Now reading that the first EBEL (yes, they have another name now) game in Bratislava is postponed due to the virus. The Czech league is having the same issues.

And, the most important is the kind of schedule. All European leagues play how many games per week? The KHL is playing every day, with complicating travelling. It is not easy to handle. And reschedule games.

As said earlier, we should be happy there are hockey games in 2020-2021. As I know, just 3 leagues are playing. KHL, SHL, TELH.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

In Finland all hockey player infections have been tied to local/regional spikes. In those cases the players were tested at/by the local health officials. Liiga tests players once a month because they don't have the money to do it more frequently.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Honestly, maybe we are making too much of this at this point. There will be bunches of technical defeats, that's for sure but good teams will still get to PO and bad teams won't. And by that point, there will be more options to stay healthy available.

By that time all KHL players will have been previously infected and therefore will be immune. That is obviously what KHL wants. Could work, let’s just hope that no player is seriously harmed.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Arseniy Koromyslov became the youngest ( 16 years and 325 days), a hockey player, to play for SKA in the KHL.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Anyone know why artyom galimov isn't playing for ak bars Kazan today?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad